Mountain Region Roll Call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mountain Region Roll Call

Unfortunately it seems the forums are not the go to message board these days as 'hold my hand' and 'spoon feed me' e30 enthusiasts have moved to social media as their primary source of e30 information. This thread is dedicated to those hardcore mountain region e30 enthusiasts who are still wrenchign on their e30 and sleuthing r3v for good deals or DIY assistance on the latest problem with their e30.

Who is still out there and what project are you working on right now?

I go back and forth between car projects and other hobbys but have been immersed in my e30 projects lately. The latest problem with my e30 is a not charging battery. I assumed it was the voltage regulator but as I was replacing the old worn out one, I saw the positive wire to the alternator had completely sheared off the alternator crimp connector and was now leaving an open circuit to the car. Planning to fix that this weekend.

I also took my 318is to the track and somehow sheared the passenger motor mount ear of the front subframe and a transmission mount so after sourcing a replacement from NogapersnBMWs (Thanks Glen!) I have received garagistic reinforcments and e21 trans mounts/cups to replace. While in there I am adding lug studs all the way around, replacing the driveshaft CSB, adding a DSSR and turner rear shifter mount with new hardware on the driveshaft giubo nuts/bolt connection.

Here is a picture of the 318 at GJMS where I am glad the motor mount did not shear off the subframe back in august.
    318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

I own a couple E30s and do my own wrenching. Happy to meet other E30 people.

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
      Unfortunately it seems the forums are not the go to message board these days as 'hold my hand' and 'spoon feed me' e30 enthusiasts have moved to social media [like R3V FB] as their primary source of e30 information.
      And Millenial's call that "progress" just like the so-called "technical information" on R3V FB?

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...cebook-moments
      ​​​​​​
      Seems sad nowdays:

Originally posted by george graves View Post
      Kids want a quick answer without [ever using the "search" function with proper key words BEFORE asking tuning questions and] researching for 10's or 100's of hours. FB gives them an answer, and attention at the same time. It's win win for them. They get to both boast they want to do a mod, and tell the world they are going to do it.

I can tell you that 90% of the answers on a tech-related FB post are wrong. It would be almost comical if I didn't hate misinformation so much. But oh well. Weld your diff, chop your springs, do a "muffler delete"and cheese grate your air box. It's all good - and documented for you to cringe at later in life.
      No, not my "build style"!

As always, both my E30's are continual works in progress forever...

Subd!
      Last edited by nogapersnBMWs; 09-28-2019, 01:58 PM.
      1989 332iS AW2 @ 2,342 lbs. m20b31 (JE FSR 10.5:1; 284/280 cam; ST+1 Intakes; RHD 40mm ITB/CF Plenum; Stahl 1.5"/CRMB X/Borla XS Pro; TMS J-Stock suspension (Ver. 2); M3 E3 undertray/VAC CF splitter; exhaust blown difusser; (Teves Mk60 ABS in trunk next)

Originally posted by Jb325is
      Sucks for everyone involved. Lots of guys are just building IG cars these days... Look good on the internet, but in real life they're hacked up piles of shit.
      Transaction Feedback: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=258421

Comment

Originally posted by mach schnell View Post
        I own a couple E30s and do my own wrenching. Happy to meet other E30 people.
        Cool mach, where are you located?

Glen, you need to get you 332 driving so we can do a lapping day at high plains sometime
        Last edited by downforce22; 09-28-2019, 04:22 PM.

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Glen, you need to get you 332 driving so we can do a lapping day at high plains sometime
          Yes, no kidding Ted, really want too push the Turner Motorsports J'-Stock track suspension I just bought from 2man/Simon here on R3V and see what it can do, or better yet what I can do with it, as it's a time tested suspension perfected by professional race driver's with driving skills I will never have (like Will Tuner himself, Joey Hand, Bill Auberline, etc).

With the "self assembled" MS2 and ITBs I bought my m20 ran super rich and variable E36 TPS signal had too much noise. I switched hardware and wiring back to stock Motronic 1.3, on/off M20 TPS, and AFM, and it ran okay and not too rich, although engine response, even after ECU adaptation, was poor as stock m20b25 chip tune is of course way off. Of course I then tried to rewire and reinstall hardware back to MS2, but now using m20 on/off TPS (after resoldering TPS signal wire in MS2), but again my m20 ran pig rich. So just saving to buy a professionally "prebuilt" MS2...
          Last edited by nogapersnBMWs; 09-28-2019, 05:51 PM.
          1989 332iS AW2 @ 2,342 lbs. m20b31 (JE FSR 10.5:1; 284/280 cam; ST+1 Intakes; RHD 40mm ITB/CF Plenum; Stahl 1.5"/CRMB X/Borla XS Pro; TMS J-Stock suspension (Ver. 2); M3 E3 undertray/VAC CF splitter; exhaust blown difusser; (Teves Mk60 ABS in trunk next)

Originally posted by Jb325is
          Sucks for everyone involved. Lots of guys are just building IG cars these days... Look good on the internet, but in real life they're hacked up piles of shit.
          Transaction Feedback: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=258421

Comment

I've never been super active on the forums, but have participated in R3V, and e30tech (anyone remember that one?) for decades by now. Facebook has it's merits but I'm pretty sick of it at this point. I've been thinking about doing better about documenting car work/projects and contributing to the forums a little more before they eventually die a slow death... (maybe not?)

I'm in Salida with an iX that I rallyX and generally beat on.

325iX Turdbo Rally/Hillclimb/Beater

Comment

Not an E30, but have bigger brother E28's & E24's! Not a fan of the R3v forum update but occasionally stop in. It's a shame all forums are slowing down. I like posting details on my projects and having a record with photos. I do that on other forums though.

I just don't have any E30's...

http://www.Drive4Corners.com

Comment

Configuring my new shop and buying more tools than I probably should, M30 swap in my touring (winter), a '24 hr of Lemons '$500' build' (winter), and some rust remediation in my iX (next summer :(). Fraser I plan to do the same with some of these projects, not sure if I will post on YT or not, probably just the forums. What's disappointing about forums is data retention. There are lots of old posts with good information that are backed up by dead links or broken photo images which make references harder to decipher. My goal is to help re-build it in some ways.

But I am a millennial so I will probably fuck it up and burn down my shop right?

Also Tom, that e24 is looking crisp!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180910_070913.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	9876744
                -90 318i Touring
                -91 325iX
                -01 S2000

Comment

Up in the Montana mountains right now for grad school. Unfortunately didn't get much drive time in this summer but I did wrench a good bit. All front suspension components replaced and with a Z3 rack.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Hey fellas, I've been on R3v for awhile...trolling. not too mechanically inclined but still love all the tech info. Unfortunately I was just forced to sell my mtech but on the hunt for the next one already! Btw, is there an HPDE track near Denver? Sorry am an expat...

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
                    Up in the Montana mountains right now for grad school. Unfortunately didn't get much drive time in this summer but I did wrench a good bit. All front suspension components replaced and with a Z3 rack.

Nice, love the wheels, 16"?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by e30 brick View Post

Nice, love the wheels, 16"?
                      Yup! 16x7.5 AC Schnitzers

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Hey, longtime lurker- I'm in Colorado Springs. I currently have my '88 iX on a rotisserie for pretty much a full restore. It's slow going as I've been busy with other hobbies/projects, but recently I've been making more time for it. Also have a '98 z3.

Comment

wow some cool project happening around here.

Nanerz, neat touring, haven't seen that car before.

Reichart12, I like the wheels

e30 brick, your best bet is high plains with their open lapping. I might do one more before the end of the year.

Danger, I am also in the springs, wouldn't mind hearing more about your build.

Comment

Colorado Springs resident here. Used to be a little bit active on e30tech long ago. '87 325 sedan, 885 head, manual swapped, turbo, MegaSquirt. Latest iteration was a "super 20g" (or something) turbo with a Z45 turbo cam. Turbo went bad about 3 years ago, so the current project is to get a HE351VE (VGT from 6.7L Cummins) to somehow fit... This will involve a from-scratch exhaust manifold, among other things. Hopefully I'll have it running in a month or so.

Comment

wow some cool project happening around here.

Nanerz, neat touring, haven't seen that car before.

Reichart12, I like the wheels

e30 brick, your best bet is high plains with their open lapping. I might do one more before the end of the year.

Danger, I am also in the springs, wouldn't mind hearing more about your build.
                              Here's the latest progress- passengers side bumper mount was crunched in, so I replaced that. Now I'm addressing rust from the four sunroof drains, along with the pipe for the fuel vapor expansion tank thing.
                              Doing as much as I can myself, and learning as I go, so not a crazy build per se- just refreshing what I can, and sticking OEM when it's convenient. I am doing a sunroof delete though (we'll see how that turns out).

Name:	IMG_2487.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	9882430

Name:	IMG_2488.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	9882431

Name:	IMG_2484.jpg