Made some progress on getting mine going again, hardest part is done:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20191124_192239.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	9887969

Comment

DANGER/hhspunter

Wow...you guys are putting in a lot of hard work. Kudos for not taking an easier way out and taking on a challenge.

I say we keep this channel of communication going in order to preserve our chapter!
      sigpic

Comment

So I'll pose a question,

Is it possible to say transform a fwd vehicle into an e30 chassis and make it red? If so, how difficult and is it costly? Or is it pretty straightforward?

I ask because about 4 years ago I became disabled and lost the use of my right foot/leg and can no longer drive manual transmissions. My thinking is to buy a donor e30 and do an engine and some sort of dsg tranny in there...

do you guys think it would be more cost effective if I just grab an engine/tranny from a f80 platform 3 series and be done with it? Thanks
        sigpic

Comment

It depends what engine and trans you are looking to do. The easiest option would be to do with an auto e30 with sport selector mode. Otherwise you would have to figure out how to adapt the engine and transmission and electronics into the e30 chassis with the toughest hurdle being the front subframe, motor mounts, and transmission fitment. The front axle may not line up with the front axle line of the e30 chassis, or it will hit things like the struts, hood, or not leave room for a cooling system. Anything can be done given enough time and resources. a honda engine and trans could fit, maybe a newer bmw engine too. Then you would have to figure out the brake system as well. Probably more work than it is worth
          318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
          '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Sup fellas. Still lurking on occasion. Super proud of the progress I’ve made building my many-year coat-of-dust on my 84. ... one of these days I might stop feeling cheap and return to the good old days of spending money on car parts. :(

all jokes aside, I’m two decades in and still find myself always drawn back to e30s. Good thread idea Ted

Some cool projects you guys have going on!

...what hasn’t been done to an m20 yet?

m20 Oil Stencil

Comment

Getting close to having the car running. Manifold is fully welded (needs to be sent out for ceramic coating), all intake piping is almost 100% finished (need to add a couple bungs), external wastegate mount added to turbine housing, downpipe most of the way down... mostly just plumbing is left.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191207_001130_531.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	9891232

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
                It depends what engine and trans you are looking to do. The easiest option would be to do with an auto e30 with sport selector mode. Otherwise you would have to figure out how to adapt the engine and transmission and electronics into the e30 chassis with the toughest hurdle being the front subframe, motor mounts, and transmission fitment. The front axle may not line up with the front axle line of the e30 chassis, or it will hit things like the struts, hood, or not leave room for a cooling system. Anything can be done given enough time and resources. a honda engine and trans could fit, maybe a newer bmw engine too. Then you would have to figure out the brake system as well. Probably more work than it is worth
                Thanks Downforce. I was also thinking of perhaps a BRZ motor and tranny...atleast its rwd. Seems like I'm limited..
                sigpic

Comment

If it's any consolation, most modern automatics do clutch-to-clutch shifts, where one clutch disengages while another engages to change gears... Almost exactly like a dual clutch. Main difference is the torque converter, but most use very aggressive lock-up nowadays. So if you have to go auto, the newer, the better.

Comment

Bump tentatively planning on open lapping day Sept 11th at High Plains Raceway in Deertrail, CO if anyone is interested

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
                      Bump tentatively planning on open lapping day Sept 11th at High Plains Raceway in Deertrail, CO if anyone is interested
                      In if I can get on some rollers to get a final pro tune. VEAL doesn't like adjusting dual VE tables in blended tuning mode so datalogging it is.
                      1989 332iS AW2 @ 2,342 lbs. m20b31 (JE FSR 10.5:1; 284/280 cam; ST+1 Intakes; RHD 40mm ITB/CF Plenum; Stahl 1.5"/CRMB X/Borla XS Pro; TMS J-Stock suspension (Ver. 2); M3 E3 undertray/VAC CF splitter; exhaust blown difusser; (Teves Mk60 ABS in trunk next)

Originally posted by Jb325is
                      Sucks for everyone involved. Lots of guys are just building IG cars these days... Look good on the internet, but in real life they're hacked up piles of shit.
                      Transaction Feedback: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=258421

Comment

It sounds like there will atleast be a couple people out there as well as some lemons bmw teams for the lemons race the next day

Comment

Working...
                        X