Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to go to get staked u-joints replaced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to go to get staked u-joints replaced?

Does anyone know of a driveline shop that will replace the staked u-joints? All the shops I've asked have said no.
    Driveline service of Portland used to but no longer.
    I have a replacement set u-joints on hand.

You can do it yourself with something like a die grinder to remove the stakes, a press for the u-joint, and a cold chisel or other small hardened tool to reset the stakes. Of if you want to get fancy you can cut a snap ring groove for reinstall.

From personal experience, you should consider heating during pressing out the joint after removing the stakes as these joints have been in place for over thirty years, are often stuck, and the yokes are a shape that is easy to bend when pressing.

It's not an especially fun job, but it can definitely be done.

Comment

When I took mine to a drive shaft shop they said they could fit regular u-joints pretty easily. Machine out the oem ones to make way for rebuildable ones. never having to worry about staked uni's again. Id be going this way if you can.

Comment

I had a u-joint replaced at a shop years ago. They claimed they could replace staked in joints.
        What I received was undersized (IMO) joints tack welded in place. Snapped that joint two years later on a clutch dump.

Replaced the damaged shaft with a good-used shaft at the time. That was two driveshafts ago on my car.

Last edited by Panici; 10-16-2023, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X