No announcement yet.

PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like to get my gas here, even at $8 a gallon...

Comment

For that reason I would really would like to run shell since their gas is "treated" (for lack of a better word) rather then just an additive. But Chevron is abundant in my neighborhood so that's what I go with.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
        Chevron has the best quality of fuel and also has techron to keep those intake valves clean! It's also the closest fueling station to me, so it just works out well.
        ding ding ding same here for me

Comment

I always use either chevron or shell highest octane... But this time since I was low on $$$ decided to save a couple dollars. And the car seems to run better. Hence the question... Is Arco good fuel quality or is it because I filled up 92 octane. But from your replies it sounds like it's the fact that it was 92 octane n Arco sucks.
          sigpic

1989 BMW 325is (SOLD)
          1990 BMW 325i Brilliantrot (SOLD)
          1992 BMW 325IC (SOLD)
          1991 BMW 318IS (STOLEN!)

2017 BMW M2 (WEEKEND WARRIOR)
          (GRIGIO TELESTO RESPRAY, FULL BOLT ONS, TUNE-HPFP AND TURBO UPGRADE COMING AFTER WARRANTY IS DONE)
          1989 BMW 325IC (PROJECT(
          2002 FORD ESCAPE (DAILY)
          2001 BMW 330CI (FOR SALE SOON)

"R3v, being a bunch of cheap bastards that would try to negotiate a discount on a free engine,"

Comment

I honestly feel like there isn't a huge difference in fuel, most of it all comes from the same place, and is refined in many of the same places, they just add different addatives...
            1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
            willschnitz

Comment

It's more of a piece of mind thing for me. There is a reason why most people tend to stick with the "Top Tier" gas stations (Chevron, Shell, etc.).

If I started filling up with Arco all the time just to save a few bucks, I mine as well use Fram Filters and no name oil for my oil changes as well. Just my .02. Prolly doesn't matter, do I want to take the chance? No.
              clutchCTRL!
              Move with a purpose.
              - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
              - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
              - 2000 323i AT
              2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

The only bad thing I have heard about Arco gas (that has some weight) was from a good friend of mine. He is a chief mechanic at the local Dodge dealership. He said that the engines he has rebuilt where Arco was the main fuel used have substantially more build up than other engines. He never uses Arco fuel. Take it for what you will.

Comment

Hopped on my Fuji and rode into work for the first time this year. Was a great 8 mile ride. The ride home should be fun too, after a few beers. haha.
                  clutchCTRL!
                  Move with a purpose.
                  - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                  - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                  - 2000 323i AT
                  2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                    I honestly feel like there isn't a huge difference in fuel, most of it all comes from the same place, and is refined in many of the same places, they just add different addatives...

For most pedestrian passenger vehicles I agree. Most NA BMW motors that aren't from M cars aren't exactly breathing too heavily.

With turbocharged, high compression, or high performance vehicles on the other hand... it may mean the difference between peak performance, or parts on the floor. It's all about avoiding preignition, and that starts with quality fuel.
                    The engine management in my convertible measures knock on a per cylinder basis, using ion sensing using each spark plug as a knock detector. The maximum boost achieved is based upon the conditions of the engine - if I get a batch of bad gas, I'll get loads of knock which will pull timing & boost, and add fuel to compensate. This is also why in the summer months, I can hit about 22psi but I can achieve upwards of 30psi in the winter.

I know there's a few guys on here besides myself that have been playing with extracting maximum HP from their engines.
                    '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

Originally posted by TheDerelict View Post
                      The only bad thing I have heard about Arco gas (that has some weight) was from a good friend of mine. He is a chief mechanic at the local Dodge dealership. He said that the engines he has rebuilt where Arco was the main fuel used have substantially more build up than other engines. He never uses Arco fuel. Take it for what you will.
                      Way too many variables. How often does any person buy the same exact brand of gas for years on end? To be able to positively correlate that as the cause of engine failure more than owner driving behavior or maintenance is not enough to establish a consensus.

Comment

Uh o. I may have done it now :/
                        Been with me for 16 years...
                        sigpic
                        Wish i had more time to play with her

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
                          Way too many variables. How often does any person buy the same exact brand of gas for years on end? To be able to positively correlate that as the cause of engine failure more than owner driving behavior or maintenance is not enough to establish a consensus.
                          True. Too many variables to truly know but I have seen engine teardowns with the valves from cars using "sub par" gas. It's not pretty and not something I personally would want to risk dealing with if in fact it is the gas brand, etc.

One tank won't hurt, but filling up over tens of thousands of miles adds up. You don't get fat from eating one cheeseburger.

I have been using Chevron in my car(s) for the last 9-10 years. Just my personal preference/peace of mind.
                          - Greg
                          α Team Founding Member
                          1984 BMW 325 Henna Rot - Sarah -Uber project
                          2011 BMW 335d LeMans Blau - Daily Diesel Torque monster

Comment

I honestly just use the first gas station I are that doesn't look ghetto, but I don't use she'll because they are usually way high. Chevron is usually ok
                            1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                            willschnitz

Comment

For what it's worth, I only used chevron 92 octane in my M50. When I pulled it out and ripped the intake mani off, it didn't have an ounce of buildup on the intake valves. It had 300k+ and saw 6k regularly. FWIW.
                              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Shell, 76, or Chevron.. Period. If these aren't around and I'm on E, Looks like AAA is giving me a tow. LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X