PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eta power View Post
    My fucking redneck cousin just bought a POS 325e. Cosmetically, it's straight enough, but it's beat to hell. Interior is pretty well thrashed. Engine has been neglected, underneath the valve cover it's full of reddish black gunk. Seems to run fine; drives okay with one big exception: the CSB is FUCKED. Cluster out of a 325i, too. Best of all, this idiot paid $2200 for this pile. $750 car on a good day...
    shitting me? and I have a 91 e34 535i with the head reworked 30K ago for 2k obo. clean title, pretty dang straight, anda solid runner.

Hmm, just tell him to find his craigslist receipt and get a refund. :p

Comment

I hate my car. It runs ice cold without a thermostat but hot with one.
      "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Tried using a 72c t stat?
        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

I may have to but I don't want to. It just doesn't make any sense. I still think may HG may be leaking or the head is cracked but the symptoms just don't add up.

Sometimes I think this car is fucking with me.
          Last edited by Turf1600; 10-14-2013, 11:26 AM.
          "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Ran compression or leak down tests yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
              Ran compression or leak down tests yet?
              I don't have the gear for a leak down but the compression was good. My oil is always clean, I haven't had any coolant loss, plugs look good, heater works. Until recently I didn't have overheating problems but I think I just have a shit load of air in the system. Also, I completely forgot about the dot on the thermostat. Does that really matter?

I do still have some oil residue in the coolant but that's been there since I got it. After my recent "coolant flush" it is all but gone. I'm pretty sure it was just flushed poorly after the last HG explosion.

Now that my wedding is over I should just do a m50 or something. What do swaps cost these days?

Comment

It absolutely matters. The hole on the thermostat needs to be pointed all the way up so the air bubbles can escape all the way.

M50 swap eh? Depends on if you do it yourself or pay someone to do it. Figure when replacing stuff, putting a manual trans in and purchase of the motor, probably $2k all said and done. Of course, it can be done much much cheaper, but I don't like doing stuff like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                  It absolutely matters. The hole on the thermostat needs to be pointed all the way up so the air bubbles can escape all the way.

M50 swap eh? Depends on if you do it yourself or pay someone to do it. Figure when replacing stuff, putting a manual trans in and purchase of the motor, probably $2k all said and done. Of course, it can be done much much cheaper, but I don't like doing stuff like that.
                  I don't recall there being a hole. It seemed Symmetrical.

2k? That's it? Maybe I should start gathering parts. I could easily drop half that chasing problems on this motor and still wind up with an auto m20.

Comment

Is there a decent, up to date parts list out there for m5x swaps? Everything I'm looking at is 10 years old or otherwise questionable.

Comment

I think that Brad is the last one to do it, right?
                      Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
                      2013 Zboard San Francisco Special
                      2010 Buell XB9SX
                      2009 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron - "Xerces"
                      1991 BMW 362iS Touring - "Stephanie/The Death Machine 2.0"
                      1974 Honda CB360/CL360 Scrambler Project
                      1971 Honda Trail 90 - "Stephen Parish"
                      2008 Saab 9-3 Convertible
                      2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

Should've had a hole drilled at the edge of it so air can escape, that way you don't have to wait for the Tstat to open to bleed your system.

You need all the 5 speed stuff (which I have,) e34 oil pan and throttle cable, e36 engine arms, e28 m5 engine mounts, iX booster with 2002 reservoir, wiring harness modified or use an adaptor, red label 413 DME, to name a few.

Comment

If you use the right hoses the self bleeding works fine with my 24v

Comment

Originally posted by Turf1600 View Post
                            Is there a decent, up to date parts list out there for m5x swaps? Everything I'm looking at is 10 years old or otherwise questionable.
                            I pieced together my swap through reading a bunch of older threads and some newer. Things haven't really changed, just a lot of people asking questions in which you gotta dig around to find the answer

Edit: installing my dr vanos now as well

91 Alpinweiss2 318is OBD2 S52

Comment

Originally posted by Turf1600 View Post
                              I may have to but I don't want to. It just doesn't make any sense. I still think may HG may be leaking or the head is cracked but the symptoms just don't add up.

Sometimes I think this car is fucking with me.
                              It's possible you may be overthinking this. I currently don't have a t stat for the same reason. My problem is simply a bad fan. Try stopping your fan with a rolled up newspaper, if you can stop it, it's no good. Another down side to not having a t stat is that unless you let your car warm up for 10-20 (minutes 180*f I believe) depending on the weather you will be in cold start mode and run rich. Over the summer not having a t stat wasn't bad, but I will definertly be installing a new t stat and an electric fan soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just wire your existing electric fan to a switch.

Comment

Working...
                                X