No announcement yet.

PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't understand how it is easier to steal wheels if they are using bolts vs studs. Care to explain?
    Originally posted by Sonny
    I am a meme for our community.

Comment

^ I was like wtf too

Comment

Stds only advantage is it makes easier to mout a tire. Otherwise it just introduces another part and another potential point of failure. I'm a lug man.

Comment

Today was a good day in parts land. I got my euro lights and yellow high beams. And I have some 15" drag slick up for sale.

Comment

My uncle use to do paint and bodywork on euros at his old shop wonder if I can get him cars if he will cut us all a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Twelvizm View Post
              Stds only advantage is it makes easier to mout a tire. Otherwise it just introduces another part and another potential point of failure. I'm a lug man.
              I agree. I've heard way too many stories about them snapping off while driving and causing all sorts of unneeded damage.

Most people who would think to steal wheels would carry a lug wrench around for that particular car, however, if you are running studs, a factory lug wrench obviously will not work. Thus, most common thieves won't be carrying around a full deep 1/2" socket set. I believe that was the point Brad was trying to make.

In other news, got the coilovers installed on the coupe tonight. I'm pretty happy. GE coils with Bilstein sports. Rear adjusters removed and one spring pad put in place (just to give it a little forward rake.)
              Last edited by e30austin; 03-01-2013, 12:17 AM.
              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

^ He pulls an Abe

AMG G63 6x6
                Last edited by EN318isPDX; 03-01-2013, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
                  ^ I was like wtf too
                  Shut up toes lol
                  Originally posted by DrJosh View Post
                  I don't understand how it is easier to steal wheels if they are using bolts vs studs. Care to explain?
                  I haven't done my research on lug bolts, but at least with studs, you can get anti-theft lug nuts.
                  -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
                  91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
                  08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
                  04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
                  Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                  Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

back to my hole

Comment

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post
                      Shut up toes lol

I haven't done my research on lug bolts, but at least with studs, you can get anti-theft lug nuts.
                      You can get wheel locks in lugs and nuts. I am going to agree with Adam, only benefit is easier to mount them, but after owning an E30 for a decade i've masted the art of balancing a tire on my foot

Comment

There are a few more positives to using studs but they are really best suited for people doing track duty.

-no need to worry about wheel width for using existing lug bolts
                        -visually asses looseness of lugnuts
                        -cannot bottom out lugnuts and have poor thread engagement, like lug bolts

Comment

If you are looking at them to see if they are loose you should be hitting them with a tq wrench at the same time. The only benefit I see is speed in a race scenario. There is 0 fumbling with bolts when swapping them quickly. Otherwise I don't see a single benefit for street or light track duty use to warrant the effort.

Comment

If you are looking at them to see if they are loose you should be hitting them with a tq wrench at the same time. The only benefit I see is speed in a race scenario. There is 0 fumbling with bolts when swapping them quickly. Otherwise I don't see a single benefit for street or light track duty use to warrant the effort.
                            Because race car duh

Comment

I dunno, I have always found studs to be much easier to work with. But I've only swapped over to studs on cars that see track duty, and I made sure not to buy the cheap ones.

Of course you should be checking torque if you're tracking it. I simply mean that you can quickly look at a stud on any old car and tell very quickly if the nut is torqued correctly.

Comment

Oh right I forgot.

Just get center lugs.

Comment

Working...
                                X