E36 woes..Help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E36 woes..Help needed

Hey guys, my gf is having trouble with her E36. She went out tonight with a friend and when she came back to her car it wouldn't start. Her friend jump started her car, and she managed to get it home with no problems. As soon as she got it home, she tried to start it again but it didn't roll over, it just made clicking sounds. All her interior lights and instrument cluster work however. I would try and help her out myself except she lives up in Redmond and I'm down here. Can anyone help her out?

out dated sig is out dated

Sounds like a shitty battery. They don't like the cold.
    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

I'd say make sure her battery terminals are nice and tight

I am not a expert on e36 problems or any type diagnosing, just something that has happened to me before. :)
      Transaction Feedback: -click here
      [e30: '91 318is coupe|brilliantrot||e36: '98 318ti|fern green|California top|M-Tech]
      [URL="http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=300453"]

Comment

That's what I was thinking. Either that, or somewhere along the lines of her alternator not charging/working. But she says all her interior lights and stuff work fine. They don't look dim at all. When she tried to lock her car, it freaked out and had a mini seizure.

Comment

If it wasn't charging, the lights wouldn't even turn on. That clicking is the starter not getting enough power to spin. Start at the battery and move forward.

I would also consider getting a battery tender for it and putting it on overnight, just to see what happens.
          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Battery or battery connection issue. Any autoparts store can load test the battery for her and if she can get it jumped, most will even install. Or are you asking if someone up north will swap the battery out for her?
            84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
            Manual swap all the things!

Comment

If she wants to come by Jiffy Lube in downtown Bellevue I can test her battery for her. We also have the battery for her car in stock. Usually when the battery is still charged enough to keep the lights/accessories on it's not the alternator. Especially if the car continues to run after it's started.

Definitely tell her to come by there tomorrow if she can. I'll be there from 12-8:30. If she does need a new battery I might be able to get her a good price on one. They're the same brand you would get from O'Rilley's. 60 month extended warranty!
              Last edited by Erik; 10-20-2012, 08:06 AM.
              -Erik
              '16 Focus 2.0L - '99 Protegé DX 1.6L POS (Sold) - '87 4runner 22R-E (Sold) - '86 Schwarz S50 (Sold) - '02 WRX Wagon (sold) - '07 Impreza 2.5i (sold) - '91 Alpine M52 (Sold) - '89 Alpine 325is (Sold)

Originally posted by 87e30
              I just want to dance with some beezies

Comment

+1 for battery. It may have enough juice to turn on a few lights but it takes much more power to turn over a car.
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

the battery is weak, but really the problem is that its an E36
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

^ Lawl!
                    -Erik
                    '16 Focus 2.0L - '99 Protegé DX 1.6L POS (Sold) - '87 4runner 22R-E (Sold) - '86 Schwarz S50 (Sold) - '02 WRX Wagon (sold) - '07 Impreza 2.5i (sold) - '91 Alpine M52 (Sold) - '89 Alpine 325is (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by 2man View Post
                      the battery is weak, but really the problem is that its an E36
                      Classic R3v lol thanks Simon.
                      I was hoping someone could go help her out early this morning but looks like she finally got a jump and is on her way to O Rilly. Thanks guys.

Comment

Have her take it to AutoZone they will test the battery and if the battery is good they can test the alternator and starter in the car.

Comment

Originally posted by AbeSonic View Post
                          Classic R3v lol thanks Simon.
                          I was hoping someone could go help her out early this morning but looks like she finally got a jump and is on her way to O Rilly. Thanks guys.
                          Nooo! They only have 2 yr warranty!! Lol. She should have come to my work! lol
                          -Erik

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                            Nooo! They only have 2 yr warranty!! Lol. She should have come to my work! lol
                            For almost all the e36 direct fit batteries, the "Extreme" version is only ten dollars more and gives you the whole 3yr free/84month prorated (along with more cold cranking power). If you can't spend the extra ten dollars...

Originally posted by camip View Post
                            Have her take it to AutoZone they will test the battery and if the battery is good they can test the alternator and starter in the car.
                            It's really difficult to accurately test an alternator and starter in the car. Yes you can see the voltage output, diode ripple and cranking voltage but that doesn't eliminate the possibility of wiring issues and with the handheld devices parts stores get it's close to impossible. Not that wiring issues are commonplace but on some older vehicles you never know. But I think that's the problem with a lot of counter jockeys nowadays, all they do is read whether the screen says okay or bad.
                            Last edited by iansane; 10-20-2012, 10:56 AM.
                            84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
                            Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Just had a similar problem on my e36. The alternator was only putting out about 11.5 volts on the tester, and 10v measured at the battery when running.

Before I discovered it was the alternator, I assumed it was the battery, and had been charging it overnight with a trickle charger. My car would run fine for about 45 minutes, and after that I'd lose my sterio, external lights, windows would barely work, but the engine would run fine. If I turned it off after that, the interior lights and such would still work like your girlfriends car, but it wouldn't start.

I just put the new alternator in today, and ran an extra 4g wire to the battery hook up, and intalled a ground from the alternator case to the engine block. Now I'm showing 14.5 at the battery when running.

Comment

Working...
                              X