N. Texas E30s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N. Texas E30s

Hello All, I'm a new 325ic owner. 1991 BLACK/BLACK/BLACK. Owned a 1976 2002 back in the 80s. The 325i is my retirement car/project. I'm looking for good suggestions for mechanics, paint, body, & restro-mod help in the Fort Worth (& Dallas) area.

Can anyone help that has good resources.
    Thanks

Does anyone know of a tech manual resource for the convertible top? i'm gettin quotes of 6-10K to make it work again. i have an electromechanical top.

Comment

The automatic top motor and gears adds a lot of weight to an all ready heavy e30. My car responded well to the loss of weight - easy performance increase and putting the top up or down is really very easy. A bigger problem I have is getting the windows to raise up all the way into the top. One back window I need to lift the top up for it to seat and one front window I have to open the door to raise completely.
      The Bentleys book says the windows have shims to adjust the location but I have not gone that far yet.

Also just retired and bought a '91 325ic. My first 'vert and I love it. I fabricated a latch for the top cover that holds it down tight without all the mechanical mess, I'll send a pic if you want.

tg

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Galloway View Post
        The automatic top motor and gears adds a lot of weight to an all ready heavy e30. My car responded well to the loss of weight - easy performance increase and putting the top up or down is really very easy. A bigger problem I have is getting the windows to raise up all the way into the top. One back window I need to lift the top up for it to seat and one front window I have to open the door to raise completely.
        The Bentleys book says the windows have shims to adjust the location but I have not gone that far yet.

Also just retired and bought a '91 325ic. My first 'vert and I love it. I fabricated a latch for the top cover that holds it down tight without all the mechanical mess, I'll send a pic if you want.

tg
        Excellent. I should have mine back from a mechanic doing a post-purchase review to line up my projects. I'll drop photos in the next post too. Love to have the pics, ANY THING that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by It's Soda Not Pop View Post
          Excellent - thank you. i'm looking forward to the coming 'monkey wrenching" i'll be doing. !!

Comment

Originally posted by Catboxer View Post

Excellent - thank you. i'm looking forward to the coming 'monkey wrenching" i'll be doing. !!
            Hi Catboxer,

Congrats on your new car! Hopefully you’ve been able to cruise top down since your original post.

The design of the electric top system is very simple. You will see this after spending some time studying the components and their roles used in the top sequence. Learning the equipment and its intended role will help you identify what’s broken and thus a replacement. What makes the electric top system complex and difficult to diagnose and resolve is the vast array of components involved as well as a lack of patience and understanding of the system. If one piece isn’t functioning properly then it works against the entire sequence.

I’ve owned two late model convertibles and have fixed both electric tops completely with little direction. If you still need help assessing and repairing your electric system, I’d be happy to help. I’m down here in Austin and would be happy to road trip my vert so you can see a proper functioning EM top.

David
            Last edited by nadodude111; 06-11-2023, 11:35 AM.
            1992 325i Convertible

Comment

Working...
            X