Meet Betty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FredK View Post
    Haha, this project is awesome! Lookin forward to seeing some euro bumners installed.
    Gotta love those bumners for sure
    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
    Alice the Time Capsule
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

it car

the wood trim bits are lovely

I've got a set of federalized uro bomper mounts (with a big metal bar between them) if you need 'em fyi
      cars beep boop

Comment

Quick update: Got many of the deferred maintenance items addressed on the car.
        - Center support bearing (driveshaft was taken apart previously and not aligned back properly)
        - guibo because I was in there
        - MTL in the trans
        - LOF - went liquimoly 5w40
        - Air/Fuel Filter
        - Spark plugs
        - Fan clutch
        - Rear shock mounts
        - Motor Mounts
        - Brake fluid
        - Adjusted vavles
        - Fixed power steering fluid leak
        - Valve cover gasket
        - Hood Shock

Parking garage repairs wheee

Pile of dead parts

All back together.

Not pictured, Simon AKA 2man, being my hero.

Originally posted by FredK View Post
        Haha, this project is awesome! Lookin forward to seeing some euro bumners installed. I'd just polish the bumpers and call it a day, the patina will look appropriate.
        Got the polish and steel wool today, can't wait to see the results

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
        Last I checked BMW still sold them for about $140
        $250 now :-?

Gotta love those bumners for sure
        Originally posted by kronus View Post
        it car

the wood trim bits are lovely

I've got a set of federalized uro bomper mounts (with a big metal bar between them) if you need 'em fyi
        dang, just bought some off ECS

Still waiting on more euro parts, my new interior and possibly some new wheels to show up (ahem kronus)
        Last edited by Julien; 05-03-2018, 10:39 PM.
        Build Threads:
        Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

You're in LA now?! Just as I moved to SF 2 weeks ago :neutral:

Congrats on the pick up, wood grain looks baller, and stoked to see it on the Euro bumpers.

Sina

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
          1983 Peugeot 505 STI
          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
          2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

More progress on Betty, I've been busy!

Since I bought her i've been dying to buff the paint and see how nice it would come out. There is a fair share of oxidation on the car and I wanted to see if it would come back to life.

Post wash/claybar shot (note the stains in the clearcoat) with Meguiar's m105 Rubbing Compound:

Progress shot, 1/3 of the hood already polished. Meguiar's M205 Polish on mid section.

And some finished pictures! Very happy with the results.

A day or two later this showed up from Greece. How it mostly survived the trip across the Atlantic with that poor packaging I don't know, sometimes you get lucky

Unpackaged it and added it to my list of stuff to be installed. Yeah I've been going a little overboard lately ;D

A few days later I got my to-do list together and got busy. This stuff wasn't going to install itself.

First step was to cut into that euro valence since I want good A/C in the car. I have to warn you, I'm not good at this kind of stuff. I decided to cut behind the license plate holder area so my handy work wouldn't get too noticed in case it didn't come out great.

Mocked up:

Cut:

It came out better than I expected but not perfect. Next step was to paint it using color matched spray paintI got off Amazon.

I proceeded to platidip the bumpers black since the chrome was in poor shape (no pics of that) and assemble the front end of the car. I took a different twist to solving the 2 prong euro front blinker with 3 prong american wiring. I cut the connector at the blinker to allow the 2 prong connector to slide on. Make sure you get the ground wire in there and the middle wire.

Here she is! (Fog light blanks on order.. along with SEM trim paint)

I'm waiting on the rear bumper trim to come from Latvia to install the rear bumper. I already pulled the rear bumper as I managed to SELL them :rofl: Next feat, I will try and sell my chrome bottle cap wheels!

Last update... Even though my bank account is on empty, I found a set of ground control coil overs for sale locally. I wasn't sure about the shape of the Bilsteins as they hadn't been installed properly previously (loose collar nut ). I may end up swapping them at some point if the car doesn't feel right.

In the mean time I took them apart, trimmed the bump stops and cleaned the whole mess up a bit.

Before:

(Thanks Jeffnhiscars for the cabrio lid struts!)

After:

Outside:

Going to let it settle and make adjustments as needed. Thinking of lowering the back a hair.

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
            You're in LA now?! Just as I moved to SF 2 weeks ago :neutral:

Congrats on the pick up, wood grain looks baller, and stoked to see it on the Euro bumpers.

Sina
            ah merde! next time!

Last edited by Julien; 05-09-2018, 09:55 PM.
            Build Threads:
            Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

So much TLC. I love seeing this.
              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
              Alice the Time Capsule
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Great job. This makes me want a vert. Do you plan to remove the wart off of the trunk?

After watching your resto of the ix, any time I see your name on a build you can count me in.
                How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

wow this is all happening so fast! lol. Stoked to see this all finished up with the rear bumper installed too. I like the way they look in black.
                  1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Looks great so far!
                    Subscribed.

Comment

Agree back needs to go down a hair but still have a little bit of rake.
                      1990 325iX - sterlingsilber metallic
                      1991 325i - lazurblau metallic

Originally posted by delamaize
                      E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

Come polish my car! plzzz
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Beauty Betty.

Comment

So much TLC. I love seeing this.
                            Thanks Jeff!

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                            Great job. This makes me want a vert. Do you plan to remove the wart off of the trunk?

After watching your resto of the ix, any time I see your name on a build you can count me in.
                            Nah, I don't want her to have mis-matched vins on her panels.

Thanks, hope you enjoy the build!

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                            wow this is all happening so fast! lol. Stoked to see this all finished up with the rear bumper installed too. I like the way they look in black.
                            Thank you! I think body color would be the best, that might happen down the road, not sure.

Originally posted by Panici View Post
                            Looks great so far!
                            Subscribed.
                            Thanks!

Originally posted by TheWipprSnappr View Post
                            Agree back needs to go down a hair but still have a little bit of rake.
                            Just fixed that!

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            Come polish my car! plzzz
                            LOLS

Originally posted by MoreMayhem View Post
                            Beauty Betty.
                            Whoa, Black Betty (Bam-ba-Lam)
                            Whoa, Black Betty (Bam-ba-Lam)

So, I've been busy!

I installed these along with the ground control coils but forgot to post the picture:

Rear bumper end caps arrived from Latvia after much waiting. These things are NLA here in America.

That meant I could finally get the rear bumper on! Woooooo! Here is is getting painted with plastidip:

And installed!

Euro headlights were missing a clip so I fabbed one up out of hard electric wire.

I wasn't thrilled with the ride of the car with the Ground Control coils as the spring rate was pretty high 440/650 and it just didn't fit the spirit of the build ( cruiser). I put a feeler up on fb and someone traded me them for H&R Cabrio springs + cash. So a few days after putting the coils in, they came back out late last night

Loved the ride height and the driving feel. Just need a e36 steering rack now.

(Forgot to mention, I finally painted those headlight grills)

Meanwhile another suprise arrived... Brand new Cardinal Red Leather form AutoCustomLeather on eBay!

So I got to work! This is how I started:

Back Seats out:

Pulled off the dry, cracked, baked old leather and steamed the foam to make it expand back to it's original shape again:

Making progress. This is so finicky and time consuming :-?

Not to mention hazardous - I stabbed myself 3-4 times with the Hog rings

But many hours later it was done! It needs to bake in the sun a bit to get rid of some of those wrinlkles though

And... Installed! I'm in heaven. Super happy I went for leather instead of vinyl!! Feels and smells (don't judge) amazing

Until next time :drink:
                            Build Threads:

Comment

I can’t believe you teased me with just one pic while all this was going on!...
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

If pro is the opposite of con, what is the opposite of Congress? PROGRESS:

Took a quick drive in the Abarth up to SF to buy these wheels of Kronus:

(thank you sir!)

Also worked hard on the seats. Here is the progression of the driver's side:

All that I could use off the driver's seat since the original bolster foam was in terrible shape:

Different color foam was scavenged from another seat:

Adding the "coolcarbon" heated seat pads off Amazon:

Top section complete:

And done!

Pass side Progression:

Steaming the foam:

Progress:

And complete, hanging out with this brother in the sun!

I guess I could have done seat shocks too while I was "in there" but the scope creep of this project is getting out of control, and so are my discretionary finances :)

My car didn't come with heated seats and I didn't want to run the aftermarket stuff from amazon, so I bought a harness from a parts car. I ran it under the carpet while the seats were out. Other than the carpet being a bit annoying to maneuver, the harness is plug and play and was easy to install.

Her first drive with the new seats!!!

I want to see how the leather sets/shrinks in the sun. I may go back and try to tighten it up in some areas. It's very tedious making 30 year old foam cooperate with a mix of new leather and vinyl. The foam has typically shrank over time and the leather and vinyl both stretch differently than the other. Overall I'm incredibly happy with the results and have lost most feeling in my right (hog ring plier) hand and have numerous deep wounds in my left (hold this thing just right while I put a hog ring here) hand.

Took her for a late night drive through Beverly Hills and stopped by her original home, Beverly Hills BMW:
                                Build Threads:

Comment

Working...
                                X