No announcement yet.

Correct valve clearance m20. Solution to ticking e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

also remember to tighten back to the correct torque spec. too loose and it will begin to tick after a small drive

Comment

M20's tick.

Excessive tick could be caused by worn eccentrics. Pull the eccentric off the rocker and check for wear. Set it to factory lash, hot or cold numbers. I like to do it cold for consistency.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Here's the M20 valve adjustment video DIY I made a few years back:

link: https://youtu.be/9tyT6YhHWH0
        Transaction Feedback!

Comment

That's probably not how i'd get a novice to do it. The BMW tool is pretty useful cuts down on errors and the adjustment going out when you nip the nut up. its also not convenient to remove the lower shroud to turn crank from below as you cant see the position of the valvetrain. just remove the fan and shroud and fan which is like a 2 min job with the tool put in neutral no need to jack anything and turn from above. wear some thin gloves to keep your knuckles though
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

When you say adjust at the cam , (rocker ratio) , how is supposed to be done? Thank you and sorry for reviving an old thread

Comment

There is a small hole on the eccentric. I use a small hex tool. Loosen the 10mm nut, adjust with the feeler gauge and hex tool, then tighten the 10mm nut. Recheck clearance after tightening.

If you have a manual car I also like to put it in 5th gear and push the car to turn over the engine.

edit: I just saw the question was about rocker ratio. I don't know much about valve train but I suspect it will depend on rocker design and bcd of the cam, since the pivot point cannot change
              Last edited by Jaxx_; 04-06-2022, 10:07 AM.
              '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
              NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
              Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Working...
              X