Tools for the e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tools for the e30

Right now, I've been doing the best I can w/ the painfully sparse selection of tools that are scattered around my house, but now that we've moved into a house with a garage (horray!!), I'm seeing a need to fill up all those empty cabinets w/ a good set of tools. Luckily, christmas is coming up. My mom wants me to get a list of all the tools I want.

You guys have been working on e30s for a while (compared to my 3 months), so maybe you can help me compile a comprehensive list of the tools for the e30 DIYer.

And I'm not really planning on doing any extensive body work soon, so arc welders and the like arn't really necessary.

'88 325is
    VP UT of Austin Autoholics
    BMWCCA 380364

Just get a 101-pc kit, and work from there. I've only had to buy a nice torque wrench, some nut drivers, a breaker bar, a 22mm nut...

Well, you get the point.
    The BMW 318 is back. With a vengeance.

Comment

metric sockets from 6-22mm, deep sockets (at least 17, 19, and 22mm, maybe others), metric allen keys, a set of torx bits, reverse torx bits (for the headbolts), feeler gauge (for adjusting valves), extensions, ratches, breaker bar, torque wrench, BFH, jackstands, floorjack, uhh.. I have too many tools, can't remember them all, but that should get you started. :)
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando
        metric sockets from 6-22mm, deep sockets (at least 17, 19, and 22mm, maybe others), metric allen keys, a set of torx bits, reverse torx bits (for the headbolts), feeler gauge (for adjusting valves), extensions, ratches, breaker bar, torque wrench, BFH, jackstands, floorjack, uhh.. I have too many tools, can't remember them all, but that should get you started. :)
        I'd agree w/ his, on the torque wrench, make sure its a good one, like one in foot pounds and heavy duty, so then you can use it on almost anything. The inch pound ones are weak, I limit mine way too often. Also a simple little mirror, like the round ones about 2 inches in diameter on stick type of th9ing, those are so handy in tight spaces.

Comment

do you guys use the 3/8" or 1/2" torque wrench most often?
          ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

Originally posted by royalflush313
            do you guys use the 3/8" or 1/2" torque wrench most often?
            Depends on what I'm doing. I use both a lot.
            The BMW 318 is back. With a vengeance.

Comment

what are some tie rod pullers that work? i barrowed one from my freind it it was almost impossible to use.

Comment

I'd start w/ a 3/8 setup, 1/2 is just bulky. I'd definaetly have it on the list of stuff later on, but a 1/2 inch setup is just bulky so i wouldn't have many uses besides the torque wrench unless u have a full compressor setup w/ an impact wrench. 3/8 is great for now, but once u get into the internals of the motor and run into the bigger bolts, then i'd start thinking about 1/2 inch setup w/ a big breaker bar.

Comment

Originally posted by 318isbmw
                  I'd start w/ a 3/8 setup, 1/2 is just bulky. I'd definaetly have it on the list of stuff later on, but a 1/2 inch setup is just bulky so i wouldn't have many uses besides the torque wrench unless u have a full compressor setup w/ an impact wrench. 3/8 is great for now, but once u get into the internals of the motor and run into the bigger bolts, then i'd start thinking about 1/2 inch setup w/ a big breaker bar.
                  Yeah I barely use my 1/2" wrench as it is, so I figured I could just have a 3/8" torque wrench. That should be okay for all the easy things I do (the only things I do) including torquing the wheel bolts etc.
                  ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

ya, I got lucky and my dad inherrited a full service station from his dad, so him and I have lots of tools to work w/. The 1/2 inch only gets used on the really hard stuff. Also, don't use the torque wrench unless your actualy measuring the torque, cuz it will get trown off after a while, so try to be easy on it.

Comment

I am going to be ordering a bunch of new tools too.

Make sure to have a complete 3/8" metric socket set with extensions and u-joints. (most important)
                      I will also be buying:

wobbly metric sockets (socket with u-joint built in)
                      wobbly sockets w/ extension (socket-Ujoint-extension all built in one) Will probably just get 10mm, 12mm, 13mm
                      Complete set of 3/8" and 1/2" impact sockets
                      Complete set of metric open end wrenches and box wrenches
                      I'm sure I will need other stuff as well...

Comment

Where are you ordering yours from? Just curious on that.

Comment

I just bought a 155 piece from Sears for $130~ And a torque wrench for $50~ (w/ craftsman club discount)

All I needed to use other than what was given was a 22mm and i forgot what i used it for.

Comment

get DECENT tools, you will regret cheap shit. full metric spanner set, socket set, screw drivers, pliers (needle nose and sidecutters as well), hack saw. BFH comes in handy lots. Also stuff like funnels, nice low oil pan, make fluid changes way easier. get some Loctite. pipe grips work awesome for getting rusted nuts/bolts off. benchtop vice is very useful.

also if you get a gear puller you'll be able to do all the main bushings (TA, subframe, CAB) yourself. (if you replace with eurathane)

Comment

i bought the all metric socket set w/ box wrenches from craftsman (1/4, 3/8, 1/2). it was the best $90 i ever spent. has almost every size i need for both my toyota and bmw. i added a 3/8 universal and an assortment of extensions
                              a few good philips and standard screwdrivers
                              dykes (or diagonal side cutters)
                              vise grips
                              1/2" torque wrench (mostly used for my wheels)
                              shitty floor jack and jackstands
                              shitty multimeter
                              soldering iron
                              heat gun
                              blow torch

with those tools i've been able to do ALOT. there are some tools i haven't had, but usually a friend can help out there. one thing i need to add is a set of ratcheting box wrenches
                              James
                              '88 M3

Comment

Working...
                              X