Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh hell no TOBY!

PROTEST!!!

(just don't look too closely at the master cylinder setup in my car..)
    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
    2016 Ford Flex
    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      it's actually still 3 a channel pump. but the ix has 4 wheel sensors plus the deceleration switch.
      The 3 line "euro m3" system has 4x wheel speed sensors too, just 3 outlets from the pump for fl / fr / rear (combined l&r)
      It has a brake pedal switch too (brake lights basically) but cant remember if it uses the pedal posn. Sensor or not (think that might be the 4-line system only)

Comment

I don't recall if the ix uses the brake switch, but it does have it's own dedicated clutch switch. this is to detect engine braking on a slick surface (like ice). it then has a pin to communicate with the DME and open the ICV so the wheels don't lock up. Interesting, but not relevant to you probably. :p

what I really wonder is why you're not switching to the MK60 ABS/DSC system from the E46 M3? it actually works just fined standalone and is light years ahead of what the E30 and E36 have.. it can be programmed too, at a cost..
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I guess I already had the bits for £30 ($50) and a few beers, and I was under the impression its a ball ache to make the mk60 standalone?
          I have a standalone ecu and no dme in the car if that makes a difference? If its not a nightmare to do then I'm all ears..

Comment

it's really not. since it's a safety system, it always has to work. all it really needs is the 4 channel sensors and brake pressure senors for ABS to function. if you want DSC to function as well, it needs the DSC/yaw sensor. I don't believe the steering angle sensor is required for DSC. it doesn't need to communicate with the DME for ABS/DSC - that is only needed for ASC and you probably don't want that anyway!

it was a pretty common swap not too long ago. I don't know if it's still the bee's knees but you can still get the DSC pump & sensors pretty cheap. If you can get your hands on a CSL / Late M3 pump even better..
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

it's actually still 3 a channel pump. but the ix has 4 wheel sensors plus the deceleration switch.
              All BMW 3-channel systems have speed sensors at each wheel, to my knowledge. Dammit nando you were my source on this!

Comment

Yeah, 3 HYDRAULIC channel- but it still looks for lockup at the rear wheels separately...

So if one or the other rear is slipping, all it can do is reduce the hydraulic pressure
                to both...

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                  All BMW 3-channel systems have speed sensors at each wheel, to my knowledge. Dammit nando you were my source on this!
                  I'm pretty sure they don't. RWD E30s only have 3 sensors, as far as I knew.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

How many have you checked? :p

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                    Yeah, 3 HYDRAULIC channel- but it still looks for lockup at the rear wheels separately...

So if one or the other rear is slipping, all it can do is reduce the hydraulic pressure
                    to both...

t
                    Exactly.

Comment

I don't recall if the ix uses the brake switch, but it does have it's own dedicated clutch switch. this is to detect engine braking on a slick surface (like ice). it then has a pin to communicate with the DME and open the ICV so the wheels don't lock up. Interesting, but not relevant to you probably. :p

what I really wonder is why you're not switching to the MK60 ABS/DSC system from the E46 M3? it actually works just fined standalone and is light years ahead of what the E30 and E36 have.. it can be programmed too, at a cost..
                      apologies for threadjack-- I've just done the Mk60 into my E36. I keep hearing people say the units are programmable but details are...scarce. What can be programmed on non CSL/ZCP unit?

On topic-- E36 3 channel for sure has wheel speeds at all four corners, but it just ties the rears together.
                      2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                      95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                      98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I did some reading and seems like the m3 mk60 is doable but id be gutted to have that and not have the motorsport software! :)
                        Perhaps ill hold off abs and wait until someone figures it out

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
                          apologies for threadjack-- I've just done the Mk60 into my E36. I keep hearing people say the units are programmable but details are...scarce. What can be programmed on non CSL/ZCP unit?
                          There is a guy in Europe that can reprogram the Mk60...can be specific to your car./data. I haven't done this but it can be done. The units that can be programmed are limited. You want either the CSL/ZCP units or the EARLY units. The later, more common, units cannot be reprogrammed. I'll have to look at my notes, but IIRC the Ate part numbered units with 818 in them are the units that can't be reprogrammed.

EDIT- just checked- yes, the 818 ABS pumps are the ones that CAN"T be reprogrammed. You want the early 2002 Mk60 unit that have 813 in the part number (not to be confused with the 01/02 mk20 units)...or the CSL units (lucky I have 2 of these- the 2nd is not for sale). There is one ZCP unit on ebay right now for $599- not a bad price.

this is an 813 pump (and is the desirable one after the CSL/ZCP pump): http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E46-M3-A...1d47bd&vxp=mtr

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
                          On topic-- E36 3 channel for sure has wheel speeds at all four corners, but it just ties the rears together.

Even E30 systems have 4 wheel speed sensors. I might still have an E36 system I was using on my E30 race car sitting around. The mk60 is a much better (but more costly) system.
                          Last edited by gobuffs; 09-19-2015, 12:31 PM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure they don't. RWD E30s only have 3 sensors, as far as I knew.
                            They have 4...

Searching for info on stand alone ABS systems to put in the LS1 Benz e430, just so happens a r3v thread is relevant in my Google search and see you say this?!?! :P

"Pulse Generator QTY: 2"

You need to put down the AWD's and back away slowly haha.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

sorry, common misinformation. I think I originally argued a long time ago that E30s had 4 but people insisted there were only 3. I had thought it showed 3 in the ETM as well, but there is 4. :)
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Well, either way my original suspicion that an e30/6 3 channel ABS is going to be the route we will take. Through research, people do it often (Camaro/Vette is another common option), and seems to be an easy swap in my case since the pulses from front to rear just need to match on tooth count. Just so happens I have an early e36 parts car with functional ABS.

The Benz stuff was tied into the ECU, apparently MB thought it was better to apply brakes to the spinning wheel via ABS instead of having LSD :( Both have causing complications/expense for this build. Quaife carrier for MB was $$.
                                john@m20guru.com
                                Links:
                                Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
                                X