Which A/C Compressor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which A/C Compressor?

My A/C compressor in 11/87 325iX is shot.
    I will not be doing the full R134 conversion at this time. (That will come later when I do my planned engine swap).

For 1987, RockAuto lists the following compressor kits (including accumulator/receiver/dryer):

Denso 10P15E for $291
    Seiko Seiki 148DW7 for $344
    Bosch for $349

For '88, Rock adds:

Denso 10PA17C for $259

All of the above from 4 seasons and available with or without a "black terminal" on the pressure switch.

(There's also a "10PA17C style" compressor from an outfit called GPD for less than $200 for the kit, but that scares me).

I don't want to spend $350 for the compressor... So between the Denso 10PA17C and 10P15E, which one should I get? What are the differences between the two? I haven't come up with much online.

The hose fittings are different on the Denso vs seiko/bosch/behr compressor. 10p15 is what our e30's came with (those that got the Denso compressors). I believe the 10pa17 came on the m5x engines... Online pictures show it to have the 4 holes that mount it to the block. My 4 seasons a/c compressor lasted that long, 4 seasons... it grenaded after just a year of use.
    10p15... you adjust the compressor to take up slack on the belt.
    10pa17... compressor is mounted solid to the engine and belt tension is taken care of by an idle pulley.
    Last edited by uturn; 08-02-2016, 11:23 AM.

Comment

you have to figure out what you have in there now and then buy the replacement for that. The hoses are different from Denso than they are for the Bosch. So unless you also want to pay for a new hose, buy the compressor that is a direct match for wha tyou already have.

Rockauto typically has the best prices but keep in mind that if it's a Four Seasons, it comes preloaded with PAG oil, which is not compatible with R12.

There is a company that rebuilds compressors based in Texas. It comes to around $200 after shipping. There's a link to them somewhere in one of the A/C threads I made

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

A new r134 compressor is $200...food for thought
        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
        Alice the Time Capsule
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

I went back and snapped some pics of the unit.

I saw the Behr part number while the Bosch was still covered in scunge. I was looking at the options on Rock thinking "I guess the Behr unit isn't available anymore". Ooops.

So because I have a Bosch, I have to replace it with a Bosch unless I replace the hose as well (which one? Both?) In looking at the photos on Rock more closely, I see that the Bosch is the exact match for the one I have.

I plan to use a drop-in R12 replacement that isn't R12. It claims to be compatible with either mineral oil or PAG oil.

The TX rebuilder at $200 sounds like a good deal. Do you remember the name of the company right off?

ECS has the hoses for $90 for the one and $100 for the other. Feh.

I did find this post about which compressors are not ok with R134:

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
          Production dates and models with compressors from the factory that ARE NOT r134 compatible:

E30
          318i 7/85-8/85
          325e, 325i, 325iC 7/87-10/88
          325iX, M3 all

Bosch compressors that are also NOT r134 compatible:

64 52 1 377 940
          64 52 1 385 416
          64 52 1 386 411
          None of those compressors is mine, but my car falls under "325iX All" rather easily.

Comment

The compatibility concern is with the seals and I suspect a rebuild will have updated (i.e. R134 compatible) seals. I do have to say again though, for what you ar contemplating spending,,I'd look at a proper conversion with a proper r134 compressor.

Despite all the nay sayers my conversion gave me 50 at th vents yesterday when it was 95 outside.
            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
            Alice the Time Capsule
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

I'm struggling with the R134 compressor decision. I've been collection the parts to rebuild by AC system. From what research I've done it appears I had a Denso installed originally but now there is a Sanden installed.

I had replacement hoses made up so the hose fitment is a concern.

As heavy as these compressor are, I don't want to order the wrong one and have to ship it back (already had a situation on cores where the shipping cost almost made the core return cost prohibitive).

I'm concerned about the quality of the 4seasons, any suggestion on better brands?
              2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

If you've already got a Sanden, there's no reason not to stick with it.
                2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

There is also a very good AC compressor rebuild shop in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. called Polar Bear. Gretchen, the wife answers the phone and has auto ac knowledge. But her husband Joe is the man. They have reasonable rates and will give you info over the phone. They rebuilt my DD compressor 5 years ago. I refer local E30 peeps to him all the time. Not even a hiccup.

Contact number is 954-463-6610. Give them a call. Good Luck............ G.

Comment

Sorry to dig this thread back up,
                    I have a 91 325i that the compressor is leaking out the front seal. The compressor installed is a SS-811 PB3. The replacement compressors are for a SS-148DW7 & may require replacement of the suction hose. Does anyone know if there are compadability issues between the 2 seiko compressors?

Comment

Working...
                    X