Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

homebuying fun (caution: stupidly wide .jpg)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    Why is the HOA responsible for YOUR windows.... seems like an odd item for them to cover in a privately owned unit. Vs a rental landlord situation
    HOA covers the exterior of the building, the window being part of that exterior
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I see so if you wanted to replace your windows with a more efficient model you would not be allowed to??

Just seems odd to me, I could understand outside being lawn bushes landscaping gutters sidewalks and so on but not windows... huh carry on just wondered was all
      Originally posted by Fusion
      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
      William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
        I see so if you wanted to replace your windows with a more efficient model you would not be allowed to??

Just seems odd to me, I could understand outside being lawn bushes landscaping gutters sidewalks and so on but not windows... huh carry on just wondered was all
        I've passed on buying rentals due to this exact situation. One HOA covered more things than I even knew existed. Haha

You can upgrade windows, it just has to be approved and all that bs. (In my case at least)

2mAn, houses are an entirely different beast. If you want the garage to be a priority, make it a damn priority. I've had the garage on my personal list for years and I always get sidetracked by the roof, additions, new flooring, upgraded appliances, new furniture, you name it. Garage is cleaner, but still exactly the same.
        My previous build (currently E30-less)
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Yea as soon as we get some of the "needs" out of the way, Im tackling the garage. Im finally free this weekend so we will likely be out spending a bunch of money on stuff... yay!
          Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            Im finally free this weekend so we will likely be out spending a bunch of money on stuff... yay!
            LOL, the e30 will seem cheap compared to the money pit that is a house. At least if you're anything like my wife and I who like to update everything. :(

But it's a rewarding expenditure and hopefully will appreciate enough so as to give you most of your money (both the interest and renovations) back should you ever sell. :up:
            "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
            -----------------------------------------
            91 318is Turbo Sold
            87 325 Daily driver Sold
            06 4.8is X5
            06 Mtec X3
            05 4.4i X5 Sold
            92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
            90 325i Sold
            97 328is Sold
            01 323ci Sold
            92 325i Sold
            83 528e Totaled
            98 328i Sold
            93 325i Sold

Comment

Ok time to get crazy. Had an electrician friend check out my situation... pulled the cover of the box off to look closer at the situation

he wanted a closer look at things and before I knew it we had two holes in the wall...

Then he just left...

Today I took his instructions and care package and proceeded to put a glory hole in my floor

In process...

And a little while later, glory hole ready for business

I’m meeting up with him tomorrow and we’ll see what’s next , I think it’s the lobotomy drill bit and maybe a skylight in the garage
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

At least that wall texture is an easy match. Compared to today's textures that is going to be cake to patch.
                "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                91 318is Turbo Sold
                87 325 Daily driver Sold
                06 4.8is X5
                06 Mtec X3
                05 4.4i X5 Sold
                90 325i Sold
                97 328is Sold
                01 323ci Sold
                92 325i Sold
                83 528e Totaled
                98 328i Sold
                93 325i Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
                  At least that wall texture is an easy match. Compared to today's textures that is going to be cake to patch.
                  Skip trowel, IMO, is the only way to ever finish drywall.

Good stuff 2mAn!

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                    Skip trowel, IMO, is the only way to ever finish drywall.

Good stuff 2mAn!
                    That's what I was referring to as a more modern "knock down" type of texture. He'd have to refinish that whole closet if he went that way though.

I suck at it though... always hire out drywall prep as I don't have the patience for paint-prep work on sheetrock. I'll cut it, hang it, and paint it. But I'll be damned if I'm taping, floating, or texturing. ;)
                    91 318is Turbo Sold
                    87 325 Daily driver Sold
                    06 4.8is X5
                    06 Mtec X3
                    05 4.4i X5 Sold
                    90 325i Sold
                    97 328is Sold
                    01 323ci Sold
                    92 325i Sold
                    83 528e Totaled
                    98 328i Sold
                    93 325i Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
                      That's what I was referring to as a more modern "knock down" type of texture. He'd have to refinish that whole closet if he went that way though.

I suck at it though... always hire out drywall prep as I don't have the patience for paint-prep work on sheetrock. I'll cut it, hang it, and paint it. But I'll be damned if I'm taping, floating, or texturing. ;)
                      Gotcha.

I sucked at it until I bought a duplex and was on a tight timeline to get a couple of tenants moved in. All of the recommended guys worth their salt were booked full.

So I asked for a quick lesson from a friend, grabbed the trowel and got to work. By the time I hit the last bedroom in the first unit I was a fucking machine. Hand and shoulder pain was rampant, but I'll be damned if it doesn't look good.

Patchwork, for me, is a breeze as well. Mud is so cheap by the box, compared to that spray can knock down trash, which I can never get to look quite right.

Comment

I have no idea WTF you guys are talking about, but stay close to this thread because I will need to know soon.
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

I have no idea WTF you guys are talking about, but stay close to this thread because I will need to know soon.
                          This is one of my favorite threads on R3v.

Digging out the foundation for a new ~70 sq ft exterior closet addition.

I'll keep y'all updated.

Comment

Choosing one of drywall surface types for your home is hard. Read on our guide on choosing the best ceiling texture types for your home.

I'll have to take a picture of the finish on all the walls in my house, it doesn't look like any of them.
                            Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                            Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                            One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Almost two years into my first home- year one consisted of replacing the garage roof which had just passed three worthless inspections. Halfway through yr two, I caught this out of the corner of my eye when mowing today. It's a bit of a mystery. Popped nail, rotted wood, I'm assuming the shingles just ripped off and there wasn't anything but rot underneath it.

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
                              1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                              1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

I'm assuming the shingles just ripped off and there wasn't anything but rot underneat

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr[/QUOTE]

AWDBOB do you have a tree where critters can access the rooftop? Looks like something wanted in there, even those 3 tab shingles don't just rip away like that no matter how old. A popped nail through the shingle could definitely start that, but you have something else going on there. If that were a wind event your shingles would be in your neighbor's yard.
                                Next time consider installing FHA style galvanized flashing's, they will out last you for about the same price. I have rain gutter envy...good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X