e46 2.8 84mm Crankshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e46 2.8 84mm Crankshaft

e46's are starting to show at the Pullapart's so parts are cheap. Are these cranks any easier to adapt to an M20 vs. the larger counterweight e36 versions? I've heard talk that the European market cranks were a little different in the e36 line.

that crank has large counterweights as well. If you are in US and have no cheap access to a machine shop, custom pistons route is the only cost effective alternative. We are talking about a $1k expense for a set of pistons. Which is tolerable for a stroker build ...considering how cheap and available stroker cranks are.

Comment

Cheapest way is a machine shop. You might get one of the early ones out of Europe but shipping would be a little steep and you are unlikely to come out ahead. There are various quality forged aftermarket Pistons starting at around 900 and up. The aftermarket forged option brings a number of benefits ( additional bore size, custom CR, deeper valve reliefs, depending on manufacturer better rings, improved resistance to crappy tune ).
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
        Cheapest way is a machine shop.
        I guess it depends where you are. To shave, balance crank + to relieve piston valve pockets and balance pistons + pistons rings and wrist pins = right there with new pistons in my neck of the woods.

Comment

CHEAPEST way is just to stuff the whole M54 in there, with MS43, etc.
          Want it stroked? Spend a little more for a wrecked 530 or 330 with the 3L....

Saves weight in the block, too.

t
          on an M54B30 kick this year.
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
            I guess it depends where you are. To shave, balance crank + to relieve piston valve pockets and balance pistons + pistons rings and wrist pins = right there with new pistons in my neck of the woods.
            Balancing needs to be done with new pistons etc so I dont count that part
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
            X