Front CV halfshaft circlip broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front CV halfshaft circlip broken

Both cv boots ripped, bought a boot kit thinking i could replace them myself. I tried to remove the circlip, and i lost the cv axle in my hand, bending the circlip greatly. I stopped then and there, as i didnt want to break the circlip.

Well i brought both halfshafts to a axle shop, explained what happened, and they said they would try. They got one whole axle done completely with no problems, but the guy said the other ones circlip broke inside. They said they would try some other things, but put it on hold for now.

What do you guys think i should do, start looking for another halfshaft? Any suggestions if they cannot get it out? these axles did not click at full turn, and seem to be in working condition before.

I had a clip break on mine once. I used some picks and slowly worked it loose and spun it to the opening and just kept breaking it piece by piece till I got it all. Was a huge pain in the ass but its possible.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Originally posted by nomansland92 View Post
      I had a clip break on mine once. I used some picks and slowly worked it loose and spun it to the opening and just kept breaking it piece by piece till I got it all. Was a huge pain in the ass but its possible.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Alright that makes me feel better, i was starting to price out used axles and was not liking it, i will see what they say tomorrow at the shop.

Comment

When I repacked my axles, I had to break and bend + pull the circlips to even get the CV joint off from the axle. The inners just slid off, outers not so much. Some light persuading with a hammer made it possible to remove them.
        1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
        1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

What shop are you using?
          1989 325ix
          1992 325ic 770A
          2002 M3

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
            When I repacked my axles, I had to break and bend + pull the circlips to even get the CV joint off from the axle. The inners just slid off, outers not so much. Some light persuading with a hammer made it possible to remove them.
            You only need one side to come off anyway. Lol. If I can't get one side off I'll just switch to the other side.
            AWD > RWD

Comment

My boot kits always came with the clips. Why does it matter if it's broken off inside? you have to clean it up and repack it anyway.

just break it already. Sometimes it comes out easy, sometimes not.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

No the circlip broke without taking the shaft out, the shop was not able to take the circlip out so they went in from the inner cv shaft. they were able to reboot it for me, and save me time.

Comment

Working...
                X