No announcement yet.

325ix purchase/ wheel delimma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove the stock ix flares then use kamotor ultra wide fender flares, i bet they they would clear then.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

I think you could do 8.5 or 9 but the problem then becomes your have to run different offsets front/rear and they still don't make many 9" wheels with high offsets. also you'd likely not be able to run as wide of a tire as if you did an 8" wheel.

I think an 8" wheel should be about perfect, with a 225 tire, but I've never been able to try it. if I ever replace my 949's it'll be 17x8's.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I tried 17x8 eta 35 but they had 245's but they did fit under the fender but they rubbed the struts
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

you most likely will have to run a small spacer up front

I think a 225 suits the car a lot better anyway
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by TheJDexp View Post
            ...but there's no way an AWD or FWD would've spun out crazily like that. Once the car slipped, it was out of control.

To quote Bill Burr's stand up: Sure it is, until it isn't.;)
            AWD only helps you move forward when the rear or front tires would normally spin. It will not magically save you from sheets of ice. I see 100x subarus wrecked every winter because kids think awd and all-seasons make them invulnerable.

My roomates subaru forester with all seasons couldn't make it up my driveway last year. My jeep with all seasons 4x4 couldn't make it up the driveway. The ix with snow tires could idle up the driveway. The snow tires are what makes the difference and gives you the grip.

I drive my rwd e30 now with the same snow tires. Yes, I get more wheel spin because it is not awd, but it can stop and corner just as good as the ix. No, you do not punch it in the corner because the rear will spin. Snow tires help you stop, or go, in snow because they have more grip. AWD helps you move forward and helps prevent the cornering oversteer under power, but remember the ix has a open front diff... so it is technically 3wd... 2 with the limited slip in the back, and one with the open diff in the front. Is that 25% more grip over rwd? How does that help you stop on ice? It does not. The extra grip from snow tires will help you stop, but even an extra 25% grip from your front wheel wont help if you have all-seasons in packed snow on a incline.

What wheels you run wont matter in the snow. What tires you run will matter a lot.

Trust me. We drive on ice a lot.

Dont mess up your pretty summer wheels by slamming them into an icy curb. Nobody cares what your wheels look like in a blizzard.

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
              I don't think you can fit wider than 8 inches. I just put on 17x7.5 kosei k1's et 45 and they fit fine with 215/40/17s. I have also run falken hanabi 17x7.5 et 42 on 235/40/17s. My third set is 17x7.5 et 40 no name BBS LM replicas and they had 235/45/17s on the car.

There are options, like the BBS RX 17x7 look good. Basically any wheel that fits a miata, mini, or honda in 4x100 bolt pattern can fit the iX, you just have to make sure your offset is between 30-45 depending on the wheel width.
              This is the most helpful 17" wheel / 325iX post ever in the history of the internet.

:bow:
              My Allrad Blog

Comment

Ha thanks John, when will I get to see your iX?
                318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

My iX has been down for the last two weeks waiting for some suspension parts. Strut housing and front springs, all too rusty or cracked to reuse with Bilstein HDs. While I wait, I dream of what wheels might go on my 89 white iX. I need to see yours! I am hoping to have it back on the road this week.

Right now, I have two sets of iX mesh 15s wheels. 4 very very clean on All Seasons, 4 banged up on snow tires and another banged up as a spare.
                  My Allrad Blog

Comment

Kind of an old thread but I'll try my luck...

Looking to upgrade my wheels on the IX, currently looking at BBS RG-Fs (16 inch diameter) and there are a few different offsets offered, can someone point me in the right direction?

Offsets offered are: 37, 40, 42, and 48mm. The rim width is 6.5 inches.

The ebay link im looking at is:

Almost forgot to mention, the car is lowered on H&Rs
                    Last edited by Mamoon37; 04-14-2018, 01:45 PM.
                    sigpic

1989 325IX
                    1989 325I Sold

Comment

I'd go with Et37. 6.5" is pretty narrow - stock wheels are 7".
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                      X