Why are Bilstein Sports so ROUGH!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are Bilstein Sports so ROUGH!?

I have had quite a few e30s now. Ive had stock suspension, springs, custom coilovers (stock shock tower height and cut), stock bushings, condor bushings etc etc.

Ive tried many different set ups.

I know this forums LOVESSSSS bil sport shocks, but every time I use them, they are ROUGH on the street. I run them in the rear on my race car and its fine on the track, but I cannot stand these shocks on the street.

Does anyone else find the damping of these shocks rough for non smooth roads?

anyone have other options for a better ride? I don't need stance life on my street e30, I want a lowered look with a comfortable ride.

I guess im getting old and rather not put up with crap suspension anymore just to get likes.
    Race German
    Automotive clothing from your favorite brands included: CAtuned,
    UUC, Garagistic, Revshift, Moar Designs, Condor Speed Shop,
    Neue Motorsports, Bimmerheads, Motorsports Hardware and more.
    Also offer track decals for any track in the world.

:thankyou:

High rebound stiffness. I know where you're coming from - I had custom built Bilsteins for a year. It handled well but the ride was simply terrible to the point of embarrassment.

I would recommend Koni SA. Adjust the rebound to the minimum required to control your springs - much more comfortable.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I am thinking about koni adjustables.

Anyone recommend any bushings for a good ride on street use? full delrin is a little hard, and installing the OEM rubber ones suck.

I know revshift makes different hardness in mounts. anyone try these for subframe or rcabs?
      Race German

Comment

I would go for a relatively soft poly. stiffer than stock rubber but no real additional NVH. I think I got the ones currently in my car from AKG and they're not bad at all.

you can go a little stiffer on the trailing arms, they'll be dampened by the subframe and the bushings are small anyway. The diff I recommend leaving stock, if not just an upgraded OEM rubber bushing - poly in the diff sucks big time.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I agree, im keeping oem rubber for diff, motor and trans
          Race German

Comment

poly diff

Originally posted by nando View Post
            I would go for a relatively soft poly. stiffer than stock rubber but no real additional NVH. I think I got the ones currently in my car from AKG and they're not bad at all.

you can go a little stiffer on the trailing arms, they'll be dampened by the subframe and the bushings are small anyway. The diff I recommend leaving stock, if not just an upgraded OEM rubber bushing - poly in the diff sucks big time.
            Need to replace every bushing in the car and I was think soft poly. Why does a poly diff bushing suck?

Comment

I like my Powerflex Purple (80A) FCAB bushings, much stiffer than stock with no noticeable NVH. I hate the bushings that came with my UUC sway bars, they squeak and rattle like crazy. Now I just need to drop rear subframe and do those in Powerflex too. And I absolutely agree that Bilstein Sports ride like shit, I've been running those with H&R race springs (Spec E30 setup) and they are god awful on shitty pothole ridden Boston streets.

Comment

I have a set I was going to install in my E. We don't have that too rough of roads in So Cal, is it that bad on smoother roads?

Comment

Ive had them on numerous e30s with stock bushings, and with upgraded poly or delrin bushings, and I cant stand the bil sports on the street.

don't let these kids on here fool you that they are tough and cant take a rough ride.

if its a street car, or a daily driver, youre going to hate yourself after a week.

I sold one of my e30s because I had bil sports with ply bushings. I didn't enjoy driving it anymore and sold the car haha. too much work to take it all out and I got a sweet offer on the car.

everyone who says bil sports and hr race ride good are trying to play mr. tough guy. that is a track set up, not street.

I will be looking for new dampers with my new build.
                  Race German

Comment

I am so over Bilstein sports for just this reason. I just need to get past a couple of dash swaps then the 731 on the ETA so IT can have my sports and I get koni SAs on my cabrio
                    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                    Alice the Time Capsule
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Dang! im glad im not the only one. I only see people praising the bil sports on this forum
                      Race German

Comment

Too stiff for the street is subjective. A younger person might think stiff coilovers or Race springs are perfectly fine on the street. I still think they are even though I'm pushing 40. However, I only drive my E30's for leisure so I'm fine with it. If you don't like Bilstein's, there's always low pressure Boge/Sachs and Koni SA.
                        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

In my opinion, H&R Race are too soft for their fairly significant drop, especially when paired with Konis turned way down low in damping force.

I think E30 M3 stock springs or thereabouts is a good "old man" suspension. Plenty of travel, mild lowering, soft initial rate to match soft damping rates.

Originally posted by whysimon
                          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

I like the M3 springs on my 2800 lb. cabrio but the KYB struts do not have enough rebound control so when I have some money I am upgrading to Koni SA. I think with that change my suspension will be close to perfect for me.
                            Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

I really wish there was a thread like this when I installed Bilstein HDs on my car a few years ago. The rebound damping really is harsh.

I should have spent the extra money for Koni's or saved money on Bilstein Tourings or stock.

Comment

Working...
                              X