M20 rattle at 4k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 rattle at 4k

I am not exactly sure what is causing this issue. I have recently adjusted the valves to spec and it didn't make a difference.

Also recently replaced oil pressure switch as the old one started intermittently lighting up. I saw oil flow at all the rockers while doing the valve adjustment. I used a switch to fire the starter for the adjustment.

Had similar symptoms to this thread:

As the cold weather sets in, and time drags on, my engine isn't sounding smooth like a hungry little beast, and is lacking a little power. Sounds like it's time for spring maintenance However, a new sound has started that I have NEVER heard before on my E30. It starts around 4000rpm, and

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sigpic
    1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
    I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Fan? If the motor moves under acceleration it could be hitting the shroud/radiator, made worse by the fan flexing at higher rpm. Had that happen with my M42 fan.

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 3-17

Comment

Ill take a look. I will check engine mounts as well. I changed the clutch and oil pan gasket in June, maybe theres some play in them.

sigpic
      1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Comment

I checked the engine mounts and they are tight, no evidence of the fan hitting the radiator.

like it's a metallic rattle coming from behind the cluster. Not sure what could be causing it. If it was valve related it would be noticeable reving at idle?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X