best m20 stroker combination.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CamE30 View Post
    If you are looking close to 200 you will need atleast a 2.8l or a 2.7 with ITBS.

Im running 524td crank, CP pistons, 86mm bore, 135mm Eagle H-BeamRods, BimmerHeads cam and racesprings and 19lb injectors with stock intake, stock AFM, no head porting and ebay headers.
    So, these numbers are with a stock ECU?

Comment

yep stock ECU, stock AFM, no head porting, stock throttle body.

Comment

Just starting to research this for my own build. My eta came with the “i” head, header, and a few other bits to do the swap. I thought I read you could get pretty close to 200hp just putting the head/header on without tearing the motor apart. Realistically how much hp am I looking at without racing pistons & rods & all that?

Comment

maybe 155whp....

all of those setups above have much higher compression than yours.
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Closer to 140
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by CamE30 View Post
              If you are looking close to 200 you will need atleast a 2.8l or a 2.7 with ITBS.

Im running 524td crank, CP pistons, 86mm bore, 135mm Eagle H-BeamRods, BimmerHeads cam and racesprings and 19lb injectors with stock intake, stock AFM, no head porting and ebay headers.

[IMG][/IMG]

This a little before and after for kicks and giggles. This was a few days after the build was done. I had it re-dynoed at it makes closer to 198hp and 215ftlbs. You can see where the intake definitely limits the power in the upper RPMS.

How much compression? We just did a budget stroker using eta crank/rods stock b25 pistons (~9.7:1), block shaved 2mm, stock cam and it made 180/178 at the wheels. Also no porting, just a good valve job...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gerson dyno.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	7201188
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by cornchip View Post
                Just starting to research this for my own build. My eta came with the “i” head, header, and a few other bits to do the swap. I thought I read you could get pretty close to 200hp just putting the head/header on without tearing the motor apart. Realistically how much hp am I looking at without racing pistons & rods & all that?
                Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                maybe 155whp....

all of those setups above have much higher compression than yours.
                Originally posted by digger View Post
                Closer to 140

I did this years ago and hit the dyno (ignore the 200tq number, that was a fluke with the ignition pick up)...

Since then we played around with various combinations, most ever made was 145whp/170tq, stock eta bottom end with 885 head/cam, open headers, eta intake manifold and 325i throttle. Great for TQ, but a stock m20b25 is still more powerful.
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

Since then we played around with various combinations, most ever made was 145whp/170tq, stock eta bottom end with 885 head/cam, open headers, eta intake manifold and 325i throttle. Great for TQ, but a stock m20b25 is still more powerful.

Oh. Well that’s disappointing. So basically not worth it at all. What like 20hp give or take? Geez.

Edit: so that’s with the eta intake.. I have the “i” intake too tho.. that’s worth what... another 5hp? hahah!

Comment

block shaved 2mm
                    So still an engine out job. Hmm.

Comment

The stock eta block CR drops when you put the 885 head on it. If you are happy with the block and dont want to pull it, you could search for a 731 head and go wild porting and adding larger valves. This will avoid the engine out and just be a head swap and you retain the stock CR, but it wont really be cheap
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        The stock eta block CR drops when you put the 885 head on it. If you are happy with the block and dont want to pull it, you could search for a 731 head and go wild porting and adding larger valves. This will avoid the engine out and just be a head swap and you retain the stock CR, but it wont really be cheap
                        Interesting. Good to know. I already have the 885 tho so might as well just stick with what I’ve got.. assuming I ever go for it. Is it not possible to take the difference off the head rather than the block?

Comment

Not from the head no, might be able to get away with a thinner headgasket... I would buy a new cam, rockers just enjoy that.

What header is it, because a good one can help make a difference with the cam
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

I have the intake, head, & header from an “i” car.

Comment

Originally posted by cornchip View Post
                              Oh. Well that’s disappointing. So basically not worth it at all. What like 20hp give or take? Geez.

Edit: so that’s with the eta intake.. I have the “i” intake too tho.. that’s worth what... another 5hp? hahah!

Bone stock eta is less than 100whp...

It's a nice upgrade for a stock eta if you don't want to pull the engine.

You can find eta engines for cheap. Just buy a spare to build while driving your car as is. Find some good used 325i pistons, shave the block 2mm and use the 885 head/parts on it, then you can swap it fairly quickly with no down time.
                              john@m20guru.com
                              Links:

Comment

Bone stock eta is less than 100whp...

It's a nice upgrade for a stock eta if you don't want to pull the engine.

You can find eta engines for cheap. Just buy a spare to build while driving your car as is. Find some good used 325i pistons, shave the block 2mm and use the 885 head/parts on it, then you can swap it fairly quickly with no down time.

Well… that’s a good idea!

Comment

Working...
                                X