This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
    So the threads in the upper oil pan got ripped out and now you can't torque the lower oil pan bolts to spec, which is causing leaks?
    Correct. When I removed the old lower oil pan, the threads from the upper oil pan came with the bolts.

Why not buy the tool to fix it yourself? (Make sure to get the correct thread pitch)

Helicoil:
    kit
    single tool

Timesert:
    single tool

Here's a thread about other options:
    https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...d.php?t=198134
    Never done this before, but I've been watching videos and it looks a lot easier than I thought it actually was.
    1986 325e Maaco Black M62 Project [SOLD]
    2008 135i Alpinweiss III Cabriolet 6MT [SOLD]
    2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
    2011 BMW X5M [Daily]
    1991 318is Slicktop Diamantschwarz Metallic [Thread]
    1973 BMW R75/5 Toaster Tank [Summer Daily]

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
      we can eat tacos around the 2002 maybe

just like old times
      I want tacos.

Originally posted by chriso View Post
      Never done this before, but I've been watching videos and it looks a lot easier than I thought it actually was.
      Yeah, it's super simple. Just watch some videos, read the instructions, and take your time. Also, you'll have the tool to fix it next time you have a problem!
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Ok people smarter than me, I need some m20 help.

The m20b25 currently in my daily is a grenade, and based on the constant rod knock, the pin has already been pulled. My goal is to swap in another m20b25 for as little as possible so I can save for rebuilding my engine as a stroker.

I found an engine that was supposed to be in good condition when pulled. Other than the missing oil filter housing it was stored all sealed up. I turned it over by hand and it moves smoothly, but maybe too smoothly. So I pulled the plugs, dumped a quart of oil into it and hooked up a compression tester and got 80-20-25-30-50-45 as I turned it over by hand about 20-30 times.

Should I be worried? Would I even get good numbers turning it by hand? Even if I got bad numbers, shouldn't they ALL be bad and relatively similar? Other than a leakdown, is there any other way to check it?
        sigpic
        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]

Comment

that's low enough that i would worry

have done comp tests on cold, out-of-the-car, not-run-in-years M30s and gotten even 100+psi across the cylinders.
          cars beep boop

Comment

I think we have an M20 sitting behind the shop that's in better shape, btw
            cars beep boop

Comment

But, did you crank by hand?

Any reason not to bump it with the starter motor?

have done comp tests on cold, out-of-the-car, not-run-in-years M30s and gotten even 100+psi across the cylinders.

Comment

Guess who has 2 thumbs and is a dumbass. *thumbs to self* THIS GUY.

I put some ATF in the cylinders and turned it over a bunch of times to get it lubricated. Now I have good readings in all cylinders. Yay!

Originally posted by Tinkerer007 View Post
                Any reason not to bump it with the starter motor?
                It's out of the car on an engine stand, so no FW or trans means no starter.
                sigpic

Comment

Corrado is sold. Really wished I had money and room to treat her right. She could have been fun.
                  Much wow
                  I hate 4 doors

Comment

guessing this meet isnt happening?

Comment

Who is up for a meet Sunday the 17th? We can decide on a location that works for all of us once we see who’s up for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would be down, but I gotta clear it with the GF. The semester is just about to end and she wants to spend the weekends together.

...but I bet I can tempt he with a trip to a vineyard afterwards.
                        sigpic

Comment

I would be down, but I gotta clear it with the GF. The semester is just about to end and she wants to spend the weekends together.

...but I bet I can tempt he with a trip to a vineyard afterwards.

The act of bribery [emoji23]

Comment

OH MY GOD PEOPLE LETS PICK A PLACE TO EAT MEAT WHILE WE MEET WITH OUR CARS

Last edited by McGyver; 12-07-2017, 08:24 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Machine shop recommendation for the Bay Area? Want me head well taken care of...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              For Sale Thread:https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...15#post4901315

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.SpeedOrr View Post
                                Machine shop recommendation for the Bay Area? Want me head well taken care of...
                                I use champion engines in Campbell
                                Much wow
                                I hate 4 doors

Comment

Working...
                                X