• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10k RPM – 1991 Diamantschwarz 318is Slicktop – 231hp NA M42

Update 12/13/2023
    It runs!

Update 07/02/2021
    Small update. Wiring is in, just diagnosing an injector communication issue.

Update 02/15/2021
    Wiring harness is officially done, so I posted some photos shared by the shop. Next phase is buttoning up the rest of the engine bay (Booster, ITBs, and base map on the ECU).

Update 07/13/2020
    Posted some updates with progress from Highline Motorsports, who has helped a ton with wiring and fabrication, and all of the custom bits that have to be made to the car. Lots of unexpected fitment issues.

Update 04/30/20
    Car was dropped off at Highline Motorsports in Burnt Hills, NY (Saratoga Springs) for a new wiring harness, ECU, and tune. It's happening!

Update 09/01/19
    The engine runs!

Update 05/22/19
    Another decent size update! Engine is ready to be dropped in!

Update 05/05/19
    Oh man, it's been a while, but lots of work has happened. More details on the third page, but, this is pretty much a difference car than when I last posted.

Sneak peak:

Back Story

I purchased my first E30, a 1986 325E while living in Las Vegas. The car was a mess, and had more problems than you could imagine. Less than a year after purchasing the car, I blew the engine, and attempted to do an M62 swap, which failed miserably due to not having funds, and then moving to the bay area, so I sold it. And the 3 engines I had for $1,800 total. I had no E30, and I was heartbroken.

This Car

I moved to the bay area just a few months ago, found a place to live, and realized, East Bay still requires a car, and it was all of the excuse I needed to find another E30.

'lo and Behold, I found one. a 1991 Diamantshwarz 318is Slicktop on Craigslist with overheating issues. I figured, "He probably didn't bleed it right. I'll show up, buy it, bleed it, and be on my way."

So I show up, and I forget everything I would normally do when buying a car, because I want another E30 so badly, and this was a slicktop. So I buy it for $2,000. Complete with all the dents, faded paint, and overheating issues.

Long story short, I need to have it towed, when I expected to be able to drive it, so I pay $250 on top of the $2,000 to tow it home.

Jackpot

The car currently sits on Ground Control Coilovers with Koni Shocks.
    It has already been swapped to an E36 Steering Rack
    And it has a Borla Pro XS Exhaust, which looks pretty new.
    The M42 has also been chipped, but I have not looked into which chip, yet.

Headache

PO used the wrong coolant.
    The coolant leak is really bad. It just drips from everywhere.
    The Radiator is bad.
    Nearly all hoses are cracked.
    Water Pump Belt was not tightened.

Oil is leaking like a waterfall from the Oil Filter Housing Gasket.
    Oil is leaking from the Timing Cover.

There is 1/4" of oil encrusted over the entire block, subframe, etc. It's really bad.

The car was very obviously neglected by a PO, even though the mods that were done were done very well. It appears they just got overrun by problems and began ignoring them, letting them compound.

$450 in maintenance parts in route!

The Exterior

It could definitely be worse. The paint is faded. There's a dent on the front of the drivers fender, and the passenger rear quarter had a large dent, as well the the door, which looks like it had been opened into a pole, or gas pump barrier.

The both bumpers are cracked, and the rear valence is bent.

The Interior

Nothing special to note. The interior has been taken care of very well. Premium sound, thought there's no radio, so I'm unsure of the current status of the speakers. Tan Sport Seats, and the drivers seat doesn't lift, and the bolsters are worn, but the rest is near flawless.

The Plan

I hope to fully restore the 318is and make it my daily, keep it clean, and unmolested, and have it around as long as possible. I plan on keeping an M42 in the car, though I'm not sure if the one that's in it is necessarily going to be the best candidate for my goals.

Ultimately, fix body damage, new paint, new engine, and reupholstered interior.

The car itself is in pretty "decent" shape for $2,000 with the other work that's been done to it.

No plans to turbo or modify the engine too much.
    Last edited by chriso; 12-13-2023, 11:41 AM.
    1986 325e Maaco Black M62 Project [SOLD]
    2008 135i Alpinweiss III Cabriolet 6MT [SOLD]
    2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
    2011 BMW X5M [Daily]
    1991 318is Slicktop Diamantschwarz Metallic [Thread]
    1973 BMW R75/5 Toaster Tank [Summer Daily]

Have you gotten it on a lift and checked to see if it has any rust? If it doesn't you got yourself a decent deal.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Musij View Post
      Have you gotten it on a lift and checked to see if it has any rust? If it doesn't you got yourself a decent deal.

Not on a lift, but I checked pretty thoroughly. Car has been in California since 1994.

The only rust is less than 1mm dings on the door where paint was chipped off, and it's surface rust from the salt water in the air.
      2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
      2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

Originally posted by chriso View Post
        Not on a lift, but I checked pretty thoroughly. Car has been in California since 1994.

The only rust is less than 1mm dings on the door where paint was chipped off, and it's surface rust from the salt water in the air.
        Very nice dude. I'm hoping to find myself a similar deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Musij View Post
          Very nice dude. I'm hoping to find myself a similar deal.

Thanks! I was a bit worried at first, but I think, even if I put a couple grand into it, it's still a better deal than most slicktops!
          2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
          2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

Thanks! I was a bit worried at first, but I think, even if I put a couple grand into it, it's still a better deal than most slicktops!
            Yep! If you can do the engine work yourself and maybe the prep work on the body you can get yourself a very valuable car for a few grand.

Comment

Looks promising! Once it's running post a sound clip of that exhaust. Curious as to how it sounds. Any resonators on it still?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
              '91 318is
              sigpic

Comment

I would rent a coolant pressure tester from autozone and pressurize the cooling system. Replace all the components that are barfing coolant :)

You can leave it pressurized overnight and check the cylinders (remove spark plugs) the next morning to rule out a cracked head.
                Build Threads:
                Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
                  I would rent a coolant pressure tester from autozone and pressurize the cooling system. Replace all the components that are barfing coolant :)

You can leave it pressurized overnight and check the cylinders (remove spark plugs) the next morning to rule out a cracked head.
                  The head has compression, the car runs and drives. The only leak I can find is the Radiator, because it's leaking so badly, however, I believe it's also leaking from the Coolant Connector Pipe.

My current parts list on my first go is:

BMW Engine Oil Filter Housing Gasket
                  BMW O-Ring (24X3)
                  BMW Cooling Hose Connector - Genuine BMW
                  Nissens M42 Radiator
                  Vacuum Hose – Silicon (5m)
                  BMW Engine Coolant Thermostat Gasket [Already have the T-Stat)
                  BMW Air Pump hose (From the IACV)

And all of this:

If it still overheats after this, I'll probably honestly have the head checked and rebuilt, because if the head comes off, it's a perfect excuse to have it all done.
                  2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
                  2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

Excellent start!

The faded DS paint reminds me of my last E30.

I feel like you got an excellent deal, problems and all.
                    My previous build (currently E30-less)
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

hey another e30 in the east bay? Where are you located? I'm prepping mine for a 24v swap and would be down to meet up for a wrenching weekend. Shoot me a PM
                      1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

That looks great for 2k. Few maintenance things and youll be hooning.

Don't be afraid of a DIY paint job. I've done a few cars in acrylic, pretty easy to get a 95% job for a first timer. and 95% is going to be a hell of a lot better than what it is!

Comment

The head has compression,
                          A cracked head doesn't necessarily show up on a compression test. Found this out on a 318is whose only symptom was coughing a bit on cold startup and overheating. It drove super well. Anyways, not to be a debbie-downer, good luck with the car
                          Build Threads:
                          Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                            hey another e30 in the east bay? Where are you located? I'm prepping mine for a 24v swap and would be down to meet up for a wrenching weekend. Shoot me a PM
                            Hey! I'm in the Berkeley area! I'll send you a PM.
                            2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
                            2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

I got a present in the mail!

So fresh and so clean!

This goes in first thing after work.
                              2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
                              2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

Working...
                              X