Goetze Piston Rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goetze Piston Rings

While measuring ring end gap I have run into a little issue, I decided to go with Goetze standard size piston rings fyi.
    When I measure my ring end gap with the new rings it come out to be .018-.020 which seemed way too high for a brand new set of rings, I originally thought that I may have honed out the cylinder too much until I decided to measure some of the old rings.
    With the old rings I wound up with a piston ring end gap of .013-.014, which is quite odd being you would think the old rings would have worn down creating a larger end gap. My only other thought is the previous owner had the motor rebuilt and they used oversized rings. This doesn't really seem to be the case though being the cross hatches looked perfect and the stock rod bolts were still there.
    Also to eliminate the idea of the cylinder bore being different through all 6 bores I have measured the one set in all bores and still had similar results. Also measured them at different depths to check for tape but none was found.

Has anyone had this issue, heard of an issue similar or know who may be able to help?
    Can I expect the rings to expend and close the gap up once installed and heat cycled?

If I was going to install a turbo kit along with the build this would be a perfect ring end gap however I'm not going to install a turbo kit immediately and would like to see the specs a bit tighter for peace of mind. I still would like to see first if anyone has any ideas or experience to aid in this issue. Thanks again.

Specs call for .010-.020" end gap on the top 2 rings.

If necessary ill just buy a set of .25mm over rings and file them down just a tad to give me a more proper end gap of .012"-.013"
    Last edited by NJ2.5rser; 02-11-2014, 04:07 PM.

You need to measure the bore of the cylinders. This will tell you if the block has been over-bored and what size rings you need to fit.

Comment

I had the same .018 gaps using goetze rings. I haven't run the motor yet but I'm figuring it will be ok since it's still in spec. The bores looked fine and there was under .002 piston clearance, so I think it was just how the rings were made.

Comment

I only had a minute before I had to head back out but I got a 84.05-84.06 which is closer to the special specs in the Bentley manual.
        Next spec was oversized 1 which was 84.25 which it's not even close to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The rings are in spec, what is the problem?
          Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
          The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
            The rings are in spec, what is the problem?

You do bring a good view to the situation. It is true that it's not necessary to go through the trouble but with my nature I have to search for the cause.

Comment

Originally posted by NJ2.5rser View Post
              You do bring a good view to the situation. It is true that it's not necessary to go through the trouble but with my nature I have to search for the cause.

Some rings are "file to fit" and some are produced to fit without modifying. Goetze needs to make those rings fit a variety of slightly different size cylinders (production tolerances + use) so fit will vary. Having a ring gap on the high side of spec is not a big deal, having not enough clearance IS a big deal.
              Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Having a ring gap on the high side of spec is not a big deal, having not enough clearance IS a big deal.
                This.

Also, Goetze may be using different metallurgy that wants a bit more room to
                grow at temperature. I've had good luck with their stuff.

If you really want zero static leakdown, try total seal. I'm not convinced it's any better
                dynamically, but crap, for 98% leakdown numbers, it's fantastic. And they do work
                just as well as standard rings, in my experience with them.

t

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                  This.

Also, Goetze may be using different metallurgy that wants a bit more room to
                  grow at temperature. I've had good luck with their stuff.

If you really want zero static leakdown, try total seal. I'm not convinced it's any better
                  dynamically, but crap, for 98% leakdown numbers, it's fantastic. And they do work
                  just as well as standard rings, in my experience with them.

t

t
                  i think you mean total seal "gapless", total seal also do a conventional set so getting a total seal set of rings doesnt make them gapless.
                  89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
                  X