Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my 24v build, slightly different than the norm. Now with dyno numbers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
    Not all 24v blocks have those reinforcements.

Is the KD motorsports shop you are mentioning Mr. Doyle? I don't know what he calls his shop...but the initials are correct :)

thats the man. He was going to put this motor in his E30 M3, but he decided to just go with a S52 and Ive wanted something like this for a while so we made a deal. Im happy with how everythings turned out except for the slow progress, but I know at the end of it all, I will have an amazing setup. Final curb weight should be around 2350 with a full tank and a complete interior.
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Yeah the weight of alu blocks, specially in cars looking for agility and not uber power, is the way to go.

I got a M52TUB28 in my car, not running yet, but its in already :)

curb weight should be under the original weight (AC is gone + alu block + interior striped), and nice torque/power.
      ---E30 320i Hennarot 1984 Sedan---

Comment

You are in good hands with Kevin!

The aluminum block is the only way to go if you care about handling IMO. The people who hate on the blocks usually have no idea what they are talking about and their reasons are unfounded.

I switched from an M20 to an M42 in my car and the difference in handling is extremely noticeable on the track. If I go back to a 6 it will be aluminum without a doubt.
        -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

my e30 has the alu block m52 with s52 cams. very similar to yours. drives awesome and
          was noticably faster and better then my iron block m52. you will enjoy it.
          www.cp-e.com

1989 Zinno 325i m52 turbo coupe
          2015 Ford Fiesta ST, Daily Driver.

Comment

heres how I spent my Friday night. I've bought a round C101 using another thread providing the correct part number. sadly, my car has the rectangular C101 so I attempted to track it down using diagrams and ordered what looked like the rectangular C101, but it wasnt correct

c101labeled by 2mAn

I decided at least for now to just use the adapter harness that was made for the M20 swap. I will figure out the rest later. Who knows, I just need to stay busy. So I kept going and labelled the wires that connect to the C101. I am sure I need more, but for now I know where these go.

c101andx20labeled by 2mAn

I also made a big order with Kevin (KD Motorsports) and VAC. Head gasket kit, oil filter kit, water pump, low temp thermostat, Samco Intake elbow, new exhaust studs & bolts, and more all ordered. My goal for tuesday is to have the head torqued down on the block, because thats probably as far as its going to get here in Seattle. Then I'll have to drag it down to So-Cal and either pay Castros to finish it or try and finish it in my garage. We will see what I end up doing. For now I am going to keep chipping away.
            Last edited by 2mAn; 07-15-2017, 10:00 AM. Reason: fuck photobucket
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

ok so I spent the last two days working on the engine. yesterday I spent drilling and timesert-ing the block, then today my goal was to get the head and oil pan on so it looked like a long block, more or less...

my timesert setup.

timeserts1 by 2mAn

timeserts2 by 2mAn

the mess of metal when I was done drilling

pile-o-metal by 2mAn

and then I got cracking on the motor today. unfortunately it was one thing after another, but I kept at it. first the two dowel pins were wrong and a trip to BMW Bellevue only provided me with one of the two. decided to shift ends and work on getting the oil pump on and oil pan on. oil pump didnt line up right away, so I expanded the third hole and got it on.

oil pump issue by 2mAn

then the e34 oil pan wouldnt fit because of the girdles the aluminum 24v block has, so I had to bust out the grinder and remove the windage tray or whatever its called. I think once this is up and running Im going to get a E36 pan modified to fit, but for now Im using what I have.

once that was finally out of the way, I flipped ends and brainstormed on how I can get away with the one dowel pin. talked to someone else and he had a great idea. the head bolts have a larger tolerance than the tiny 8mm torx bolts on the timing case side of things, so once those were in and everything was double checked I was good to go!!
              except when I opened the Victor Reinz headbolt box there was only TEN headbolts in there.
              I needed some motivation so I threw the intake manifold on so it would look somewhat complete.

stuck again by 2mAn

Im stressing though because Im moving 1200 miles south in a week and I dont know if the E30 is coming with me.

Im trying to decide what to do in the different possible scenarios there is.
              #1 engine somewhat built, but not installed
              #2 engine assembled and not installed
              #3 engine assembled and installed

I really dont want to pay thousands of dollars for a shop to finish the swap, Id rather spend the thousands on a beater to drive around on in So-Cal and take my time finishing it, but I also just want it done. I dont really want a shop to do it because I feel like it will take too long and will cost too much. Also, it would probably mean flying back up to Seattle just to drive it back down. That part I dont mind so much...

OK, Im exhausted, time for bed
              Last edited by 2mAn; 07-15-2017, 10:07 AM. Reason: fuck photobucket
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

I guess if there is nothing to argue about, nobody really cares. regardless, I will keep posting so maybe this will help someone else down the road...

anyways, I had a night off from working on the engine (its about 30 minutes from my place) and I came across this great diagram and used it to finish labeling the E34 M50 Vanos harness.

Im not 100% a few of the 3 wire plugs are correct since there was no colors to reference, but I used my logic and finished it up. I think my realistic goal for this car is to try and get the motor in the car and then let Kevin finish it up for me. It will save me a good chunk of change and make his life (relatively) easier
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

Here, this is for whoever drew that diagram.
                  For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
                  Originally posted by mbonanni
                  I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Are you going OBD1? That harness breakdown is an OBD1 harness...
                    Originally posted by 325Projectz
                    don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
                    :nice:

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.SWISS View Post
                      Are you going OBD1? That harness breakdown is an OBD1 harness...
                      from the first post of this thread

Originally posted by 2man View Post
                      ..... The idea is that the motor will appear like a M50 Vanos from an E34. ....

-M50 Vanos Wiring Harness from a E34
                      -Red Label 413 DME with a TMS chip for a M50 with S50 cams
                      California rules make it a LOT more work than its worth to do an OBD2 swap, so I am converting the motor to OBD1. I found later in the build that the motor had already been converted to OBD1 specs so some of the smaller items I needed to do were already done. I want this swap to be BAR'd, so I will be passing it off as a OBD1 Vanos M50 car.
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

decided to do this since there isnt much more I can do before I move

exhaust manifolds painted by 2mAn

high temp paint. they are baking in the oven as we speak lol
                        Last edited by 2mAn; 07-15-2017, 10:09 AM. Reason: fuck photobucket
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2man View Post
                          decided to do this since there isnt much more I can do before I move

high temp paint. they are baking in the oven as we speak lol
                          Hope the ref doesnt notice the welded up OBD2 headers on your "M50".

Need to order a new stud on one looks like also.
                          Originally posted by 325Projectz
                          don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
                          :nice:

Comment

Cool to see the progress thus far. Sucks you have to move before completion.
                            84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
                            Manual swap all the things!

Comment

thanks Ian! It was tough to do it this way, but I'll be back in a month and it should be ready to go then...

moved the car to its temp home

moving by 2mAn

the next time I see it, it will have a 2.8, instead of the 2.7 :)

waiting for swap by 2mAn

and sadly this was as far as I got with the motor... not very close. I did what I could and Im leaving the rest for the experts

engine left5 by Simon Tuman
                              Last edited by 2mAn; 07-15-2017, 10:12 AM. Reason: fuck photobucket
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

the build looks sick!! cant wait to see it done

Comment

Working...
                                X