Bedliner engine bay? Yay or nay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bedliner engine bay? Yay or nay

Well I'm indecisive so I thought I'd ask r3v about what to do with my engine bay.
    I am in the process of painting my engine bay

Option 1:
    factory Apline white, which I think will look great. It will also be a little boring, more expensive and possibly less durable than option 2, but it is original and would look pretty tits done right.

Option 2: Spray on bedliner. I like it because of the durability, texture, cost, ease of application, spray on and forget about it, and unique factor.
    Note: It's going to be really mildly textured bedliner

Also keep in mind, this won't be a show car and doesn't need to be original.
    Here it is on Janderson's car. I wanted to use the exact same stuff, notice how it isn't a crazy rough texture

this will be on my Alpine car
    Here is how it looks now:

This pretty girl will be filling it up:

Who gives a s**t, its an engine bay
    12.12%
    Factory Alpine White II
    56.06%
    Bedliner
    31.82%
    Last edited by craiggroves91; 03-28-2012, 09:22 PM.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
    1998 BMW Estoril Blue e36 M3/4/5 SOLD
    1987 BMW 325 (The Piece) SOLD
    1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

IDK interested to see out come I have ponded a black engine bay on a white car and am not sure. But the durability factor is a serious consideration.
    sigpic

Comment

Honestly I don't like black engine bay on light coloured cars. Especially if it's an alpine white.
      sigpic

Comment

match it to the outside. estoril blue late model or m3 would be my ideal car.
        Much wow
        I hate 4 doors

Comment

I say go with the bedliner. Or maybe por-15. When you're wrenching under the bay it wont scratch or ding as easily, filth wont be as visible and you can use less gentle methods of cleaning in there. It will also look nice with the wrinkle black m20.
          E30 buildy things
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=195286

Comment

Keep it body color. Different colored engine bays than the body look like shit. White would look very nice and unique. I don't see very many nice white repainted engine bays.

That "bedliner" engine bay looks terrible. The texture of the paint looks very cheap and ugly. Body color matched would look way way better. He only did that because the first kind of paint he got turned out bad so he just made the whole engine bay have that texture. It would have looked great if it was the nice glossy body color.
            Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

I didn't want to have to be all anal about it. If I paint it pretty with Alpine I'll rage everytime a piece of dirt is on it or I scratch it.
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
              1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

Apart from looks, also consider what effects different colors will have. That bedliner looks like it would be good at concealing dirt/oil/grease, which may be good for keeping it looking clean. But at the same time a lighter color will make it easier to spot any leaks or anything, and reflect light to make it a bit easier to see.

Regardless of which color you chose, that engine looks beautiful, good job!

Comment

Just look at the engine you're putting in...

+1 for body colored.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                  Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

I don't like a black engine bay other than on black cars. I actually used a tintable roll on bedliner. I tinted it silver and did my engine bay with that. I am really happy with it, I think its a good compromise. More durable than paint and although not a perfect match to sterling silver it's better than black.

I will put up a build thread pretty soon with some pictures.

Comment

I think black would only work on dark cars. It has obvious durability benefits, and inside the engine bay is the most common place to get frustrated and careless.

My choice would be neither. Get creative and use some other white coating that still looks good and is more durable than paint. What about white bed liner? Look into everything.
                      The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                      Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                      2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                      2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
                        I think black would only work on dark cars. It has obvious durability benefits, and inside the engine bay is the most common place to get frustrated and careless.

My choice would be neither. Get creative and use some other white coating that still looks good and is more durable than paint. What about white bed liner? Look into everything.
                        I'm pretty sure white bedliner is available. Not sure if they have spray on or not.

Good idea though.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD

Comment

Bedliner is fucking TERRIBLE for dirt. All the little pits in it will collect dirt and oil and will be a PITA to clean, especially Alpine bedliner.

Comment

I like the stock colour. If you want durability paint it with a two part polyurethane i.e Awlgrip.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryann View Post
                              Bedliner is fucking TERRIBLE for dirt. All the little pits in it will collect dirt and oil and will be a PITA to clean, especially Alpine bedliner.
                              Doesn't seem like it would be too terrible, especially considering the fact that a scrubber sponge wouldn't damage it.
                              The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                              Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                              2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                              2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Working...
                              X