TehRaydarlover's AWD Lover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nando View Post
    hey cool - never seen that type of VC either. Makes you wonder if there's any center VCs like that!
    Yeah that would be awesome to find one like that. After seeing this one, I have two center VC cut open that I'd like to try and modify with a removable end. I have an idea of how to do it but we'll see if it works out. It'd be cool to "easily" test out different viscosity levels for the silicon fluid.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Build Thread
    Rear Diff Rebuild
    Rebuildable Viscous Coupling
    Transfer Case Rebuild
    "Life is simpler with 12 valves"

Comment

I finished the diff rebuild write up on the previous page, let me know if I F'd something up or need to clarify anything. :D
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Build Thread
      Rear Diff Rebuild
      Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

I'm in the process of stripping off the undercoating in the "problem areas". I always knew my car had some rust on the underbody but this is kind of shocking. I'm honestly surprised the drivers side spring perch didn't just collapse. If anyone has any rust free patch panels... I'm in the market :/ I don't want to live in the midwest anymore... #justixthings

Build Thread
        Rear Diff Rebuild
        Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

Little up date on things, I bought a parts car from NM to cut out all the rust patch panels I need. Also bought some new body panels and some rims, kind of keeping things under wraps for now, hehe.

Build Thread
          Rear Diff Rebuild
          Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

Finished up another little side project. A rebuildable viscous coupling. First started with cutting a burnt out one open on a lathe.

The basic idea was to add an extension to the VC barrel for the addition of an o-ring groove and a snap ring groove. After taking a few measurements I mocked everything up in autocad. I rough machined the ring from CA40 420SS and welded it to the VC.

The cover that was removed from the VC was machined to the max ID of the stator plates. Then the VC extension was finish machined for a 0.001"-0.003" loose fit to the cover. Then the o-ring and snap rings were added.

And whala, a rebuildable viscous coupling

Build Thread
            Rear Diff Rebuild
            Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

oh man was wondering what was going on with your build....that rust sucks! I wish we didn't have to drive on salted roads, but thats just the name of the game.

I just coated the undercarriage of my car w/ Formula 3000. hoping it will help even just a little from this winter.
              www.instagram.com/snwmble
              #snwmble

Current:
              '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
              '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
              '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
              '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
              '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
              '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
              '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
              '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Great build thread, loving the engineering work
                Build Threads:
                Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by audiquattrot View Post
                  oh man was wondering what was going on with your build....that rust sucks! I wish we didn't have to drive on salted roads, but thats just the name of the game.

I just coated the undercarriage of my car w/ Formula 3000. hoping it will help even just a little from this winter.
                  Yeah it was pretty shocking and depressing when I stripped everything down, but now I've got all the panels to make it new again. I'm going to strip all of the undercoating off and paint everything in this industrial epoxy we use on salt water pumps at work. should hold up well haha.

Originally posted by Julien View Post
                  Great build thread, loving the engineering work
                  Thanks!

Build Thread
                  Rear Diff Rebuild
                  Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

Fill hole has been drilled, reamed, and tapped for a 3/8 NPT plug. I also made the custom 0.070" o-ring. Hopefully next week I can pressure test everything and put it together for real.

Build Thread
                    Rear Diff Rebuild
                    Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

Man its been a while since I've seen this thread. Great work, we need more ix love on the forums.
                      My Garage
                      2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                      1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                      1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                      Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Nice work!
                        E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
                        E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
                        E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Thanks guys!

I added a small anti-rotation pin to the cover. There shouldn't a lot of torque put on the cover with in service but just in case, I wanted to make sure it couldn't go anywhere.

Build Thread
                          Rear Diff Rebuild
                          Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

hope you enjoy my ID1000 fuel injectors via ebay
                            88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

I'll try to use them to their full potential haha!

Build Thread
                              Rear Diff Rebuild
                              Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

Custom O-ring made

Pressure test was a success! I'm not sure how much pressure I tested it at but shop pressure is 125psi. I just cracked the valve for a second and let it sit overnight. Still was pressurized in the morning. :D

I filled the VC last week after work. Ended up using roughly 3 parts 100,000 cs and one part 60,000 cs silicone fluid. Unfortunately, I only have the one picture, my hands got covered with silicone haha. My method was to add silicone slowly as I added plates to make sure every plate had a film. I used a hand press to push the plates down and squeeze out the silicone as I added more plates. I kept having an issue where when I pressed the plates down the center sleeve would rise up with the silicone, disengaging the first few plates in the bottom of the VC. Had to be very careful to push it back down with out turning it and having the splines get misaligned. With all the plates and spacer rings installed I put the cover on and installed the snap ring. I made sure it wasn't over filled by leaving the fill plug out and removing any excess silicone. Some thread sealant on the pipe plug and its all ready to go. I'm going to try and reassemble the transfer case this weekend with all new bearings, seals, gaskets, and of course the "new and improved" VC :D

Last edited by TehRaydarlover; 01-21-2016, 05:40 AM.

Build Thread
                                Rear Diff Rebuild
                                Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

Working...
                                X