No announcement yet.

TehRaydarlover's AWD Lover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if you've installed that frond driveshaft yet with the Jute piece but very interested to see what you think of the install and quality!

Take lots of pics when doing the reinforcements on the rear subframe pleasee?!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    clutchCTRL!
    Move with a purpose.
    - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
    - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
    - 2000 323i AT
    2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by kid325e View Post
      Not sure if you've installed that frond driveshaft yet with the Jute piece but very interested to see what you think of the install and quality!

Take lots of pics when doing the reinforcements on the rear subframe pleasee?!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
      Haven't installed it yet, idk why guess just waiting until I need it. The quality is excellent, great material choice, machined with a press fit so you don't have to worry about it being on there crooked, chamfered for the weld, I am interested in seeing how evenly the grease gets distributed to the splines in the t-case.

Will do!

Ray
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Build Thread
      Rear Diff Rebuild
      Rebuildable Viscous Coupling
      Transfer Case Rebuild
      "Life is simpler with 12 valves"

Comment

Loving all the iX builds i've been seeing lately!
        clutchCTRL!
        Move with a purpose.
        - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
        - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
        - 2000 323i AT
        2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

late to the party as usual - SUB'D
          I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
          TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
          e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Nice work, What are some future plans you have for the car?. Seeing all theses IX builds wants me to just get mine back on the road again... She hasn't been on the ground for about 2 mouths.

Comment

Thanks! for some reason its hard for me to say what my future plans are, I have all of these little projects for parts I'm building for the car that I'm focusing on and haven't really lifted my head up to think about the end goal. I guess it would be to have an excellent oem+ look to it then when you hit the gas and take a turn it leaves you speechless. There will be a turbo in there somewhere.
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Build Thread
              Rear Diff Rebuild
              Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

Picked up a 370mm mtech 1 wheel a while ago. I really like my 385mm mtech 1 wheel but with my steel toe boots for work and being 6'2" I can't get in my car without hitting my knee. The stitching is coming apart but the leather is in perfect shape, its at an upholstery shop now getting restitched. Hopefully this will solve the problem or at least make it less of a hassle to get in/out of the car.

Build Thread
                Rear Diff Rebuild
                Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

h8 u 4 dat
                  1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                  1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

<3

Build Thread
                    Rear Diff Rebuild
                    Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

Was up at the cabin hunting last weekend, left some ix tracks haha:

Build Thread
                      Rear Diff Rebuild
                      Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

Hey guys happy thanksgiving, here’s one of the projects I’m currently working on. I disassembled and started working on a diff upgrade similar to mw044’s back in September. It’s his experience that the at least the first point of failure in the front diff are the small spider gears.

The idea is to cut the walls of the pumpkin off one diff and weld them to another thus adding two more spider gears, basically sacrificing one diff to reinforce another. This will help to lessen the load on each gear. With adding the two more spider gears I need to cut the shaft the gears ride on in half and machine a support block to hold the free ends of the shafts. I took a few measurements and had the support block machined out of a “tool steel” I’m not exactly sure what type of steel it’s made out of, I got the material when I was at school, it was just advertised as tool steel.

The support block came out quite nicely. I was a little upset after having to wait about two months to get it back when the machine shop forgot about my order and temporarily lost the material I gave them, but when I did get it back it was no charge because of the wait, I was like, wat? Oh alright, thanks! haha

Alright easy stuff done, now for the complicated part. This is where I thought I could improve upon mw044’s diff. My plan is to bolt the crown gear back on and weld the sides of the pumpkin to the crown gear. Then cut off the top and bottom of the pumpkin. In my mind, the geometry of the additional spider gears is critical; you must retain the original gear fitment/lash or you will have increased wear and ultimately failure. By welding the sides of the pumpkin to the crown gear I can then (after some shaping/grinding) bolt the crown gear onto another diff, keeping the cups that the spider gears ride on in the correct position.
                        Now for the welding. The plan is to grind and shape the sides of the diff so everything bolts up without any interference. Then with the crown gear bolted to the diff tack weld the additional sides from the old diff to the new diff. Then cut the tack welds off of the crown gear and remove it. Then finish welding.
                        To ensure a good weld I need to know what material the diff is made of and come up with a weld procedure. To determine what kind of steel I’m dealing with I shot it with our Niton XRF Analyzer at work. It came back as 1215 carbon steel. This is kind of bad news because while 1215 has excellent machinability it doesn’t have very good weldability due to a high sulphur content. I don’t think it will be too much of an issue because it won’t take too much to hold the sides in there and the weld isn’t going to be seeing too much of a load, its mostly just holding the sides on there. We have some extremely skilled welders at work that I’m sure are more than capable of getting the job done. Here’s the print out from the XRF Analyzer if anyone is interested

After everything is welded up I would like to have it sent out for stress relieving but I don’t think it would be a good idea because I don’t want to mess with the gear heat treat or that it will distort or crack the case. Once its welded I may need to skim cut the crown gear fit turn on the diff to clean up any excess weld. Then it’s just a matter of pressing on some new bearings and resealing it, then I should be good to go.

Any input is welcome,
                        Ray

Build Thread
                        Rear Diff Rebuild
                        Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

Sweet build so far good work

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Nice work :)
                            E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
                            E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
                            E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Thanks

Build Thread
                              Rear Diff Rebuild
                              Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

This is spectacular! Awesome work.

Comment

Working...
                                X