My e30 DTM car copy build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iflytii View Post
    I get it - it looks dangerous. I also race and shin guards are not part of my safety gear ensemble.

The project as described is a "replica DTM racer". That does not make it a race car. Constructing the car based on rules mandated by whatever orginazation he is going to race with AND having the car pass tech makes it a race car. Until then it will not race, it will simply be a "replica" - and as it sits a dangerous one at that.

I'm not trying to be a jerk about it but, pointing out potential problems at this stage makes it a LOT easier to fix rather than waiting until the car is "finished". As it sits, the cage is not legal for most race organizations without having a diagonal brace in the main hoop. The main hoop will also dictate his seat location, which as is will likely result in interference of said shins and that diagonal bracing on the drivers side.

I know he is using a Tilton floor setup from earlier in his post. Those will allow him to move away from the firewall but, my hoop is further back than his and I can put my foot flat against the firewall with my leg still bent. Point being, unless he is very short there will likely be some clearance issues.
    No offense taken, thank you for explaining exactly what you meant and why. I used the term race car when I really should have said track toy.
    '89 325i track sloot
    '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

the tilton pedals will be mounted at least 4" past that bar. I like having closer pedals as i will get more leverage on them since i will be running manual brakes and racks. so im not to worried about the bar. yea the car is hacked to shit, but i have another e30 cut to peiced for all the cut up spots, so im not to worried about that.
      I wanna go Fast

Comment

Originally posted by ///meric View Post
        the tilton pedals will be mounted at least 4" past that bar. I like having closer pedals as i will get more leverage on them since i will be running manual brakes and racks. so im not to worried about the bar. yea the car is hacked to shit, but i have another e30 cut to peiced for all the cut up spots, so im not to worried about that.
        I'm interested in seeing the end result with those pedals installed. I like my tilton pedals and I think you will find they don't take as much effort as you would think.

Have you tried your dimple dies yet? What are you using or planning on using to form with? I found that a semi-cheap arbor press works great with them.

Comment

are u using the floor mount, or the firewall mount because the floor mount have a lower leverage ratio, im going to get some tubing bent a nd mount them to the cage

As for the press idk what im going to do. I can not stand cheap tools, if i buy a tool i get something that will last, so i will more then likely end up with one of these http://www.tricktools.com/sheet_meta...or_presses.htm

otherwise

i will make my own hydro version of the above press.

i may be lazy tho and get one of these

either way it will need to be strong as i will be using up to 4140 1/8" plate
          I wanna go Fast

Comment

This is looking real good!
            Originally posted by NavyE30
            I saw Vlad was posting and got excited. Then I saw there weren't any boobs and was sad.

Comment

I'm interested in seeing the end result with those pedals installed. I like my tilton pedals and I think you will find they don't take as much effort as you would think.

Have you tried your dimple dies yet? What are you using or planning on using to form with? I found that a semi-cheap arbor press works great with them.
              I don't mean to hijack, but how did the pedal installation go?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike B. View Post
                all of the tilton pedals i have seen installed are tied into the cage, otherwise you will not get enough rigidity in the mounting.
                I wanna go Fast

Comment

i ordered these today to go with the dimple dies

I wanna go Fast

Comment

Originally posted by Mike B. View Post
                    [Thread_Hi-Jack] Went well! Had to modify the throttle linkage but other than that it was a lot easier than I had anticipated. I made a simple bracket that tied the pedal assembly to the front bulkhead for additional reinforcement. You can't see in those pictures but the dash bar is right above the steering support and is tied into the front bulkhead. I had to modify the throttle linkage a bit by removing the lever arm and welding a new one that moves the cable location further to the right (aluminum part to the right of the balance bar)

[/Thread_Hi-Jack]
                    Last edited by iflytii; 11-25-2007, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ///meric View Post
                      i ordered these today to go with the dimple dies

http://www.tricktools.com/sheet_metal_cutters.htm
                      I have some of those too, they work excellent!

Comment

any updates eric?
                        I saw Vlad was posting and got excited. Then I saw there weren't any boobs and was sad.

Comment

Eric is in FL this week

I've always been proud of being a Marine.
                          I won't hesitate to defend the Corps
                          "Supersquad"

‎"Prostitutes are a sub-category of Amusement Parks"-

Comment

oh yeah, I forgot lol

Comment

I want your brakes and the fuel cell. Where did you find the brakes and do you have all 4 corners?

Comment

[Thread_Hi-Jack] Went well! Had to modify the throttle linkage but other than that it was a lot easier than I had anticipated. I made a simple bracket that tied the pedal assembly to the front bulkhead for additional reinforcement. You can't see in those pictures but the dash bar is right above the steering support and is tied into the front bulkhead. I had to modify the throttle linkage a bit by removing the lever arm and welding a new one that moves the cable location further to the right (aluminum part to the right of the balance bar)

[/Thread_Hi-Jack]
                                I dont want to sound like an ass, but i would tie those mounts into the cage, Even tho it is tied in like it is stock, since it is fully manual there is alot more force going into those mounts, nothing worse then not haveing a ridgid brake mount.

Bad new tho, it looks like i wont have much time to work on the car much, as its xmass time and i work in retail. and stupid finals. But after xmass i have a week of just me and the car planned, im gonna go and order a bunch of tools so that i wont have to stop for anything.
                                I wanna go Fast

Comment

Working...
                                X