R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E30 Technical Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > M10

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2015, 12:57 PM   #1
Peterbuilt84
Noobie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Atascadero
Posts: 36
M10 Issues

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. I recently bought a 1984 318i pretty much sight unseen. When I bought the car it had a big fuel leak at the injector rail which I was told was the only issue with the car. I fixed that but the car still ran terribly. After I was able to run it during the day I noticed that there was a ton of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I popped off the radiator cap and there was no water visible. Then I checked the oil and it looked a bit milky. Those indicators and the fact the car has zero power leads me to believe the head gasket is blown.

The car has all new suspension (with receipts) and is in really decent shape overall. I think the best step would be to take the motor out and rebuild it. I've rebuilt a motor before but have never worked on BMW's. Is this something that can be done relatively easily? How much would all the parts cost? I looked up pistons and main/rod bearings and those look to be about $600.

Or should I just sell it and move on?

Also should add I bought this to be my daily driver. Was looking for something fun to drive and also got good mpg.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

(Here are a couple pics)








Even found this link with all the info on the car:

http://topclassicsforsale.com/bmw/67...nsmission.html
Peterbuilt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:15 PM   #2
aintnothang
Mod Crazy
 
aintnothang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cali
Posts: 741
Its begging for a swap.
__________________

aintnothang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:26 PM   #3
Peterbuilt84
Noobie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Atascadero
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by aintnothang View Post
Its begging for a swap.
Yea, that's originally the first thing I thought. Trying to stay as low cost as possible though.
Peterbuilt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:04 PM   #4
thebutterson
E30 Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kent, WA
Posts: 425
There's a lot of M10 info over at 2002faq.com. Try and dig up the "shadetree" articles that were written by the guys at metric mechanic years ago. It covers an M10 rebuild. The M10 is a pretty simple engine. I've never rebuilt one but I did swap in a used short block and put a rebuilt head onto it. It was pretty easy. There's a special tool for removing the camshaft though. I imagine if you have rebuild experience you'll do just fine.
thebutterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:13 AM   #5
Jaxx_
E30 Mastermind
 
Jaxx_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA
Posts: 1,623
Honestly a junkyard motor will be cheaper and more fulfilling than rebuilding the m10. Those motors can be found for cheap, most people can't even give them away. Consider the time and labor for rebuilding that motor and the fact you'll still have a 318. I love mine, but as soon as the motor is done I doubt I'll rebuild it.
__________________
Join the Club: E30CCA
'84 318i M10B18 | 93whp/90ftlbs | 147- Safari Beige | MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
Jaxx_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:59 AM   #6
Peterbuilt84
Noobie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Atascadero
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebutterson View Post
There's a lot of M10 info over at 2002faq.com. Try and dig up the "shadetree" articles that were written by the guys at metric mechanic years ago. It covers an M10 rebuild. The M10 is a pretty simple engine. I've never rebuilt one but I did swap in a used short block and put a rebuilt head onto it. It was pretty easy. There's a special tool for removing the camshaft though. I imagine if you have rebuild experience you'll do just fine.
Found and saved the articles you mentioned. Lots of good info, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxx_ View Post
Honestly a junkyard motor will be cheaper and more fulfilling than rebuilding the m10. Those motors can be found for cheap, most people can't even give them away. Consider the time and labor for rebuilding that motor and the fact you'll still have a 318. I love mine, but as soon as the motor is done I doubt I'll rebuild it.
One of the reasons I'm considering rebuilding the motor is I haven't found a used one for a decent price. I found one that was $600 and that's about it. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place for them. It isn't the ideal motor but it supposed to get good mileage which is one of the main reasons I decided to get a 318.
Peterbuilt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:25 PM   #7
packratbimmer
Mod Crazy
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ME
Posts: 703
Try popping a head gasket on it. They are cheap and the job is easy. The early 318i is the lightest body out there. A properly tuned M10 can be a lot of fun in a light car. I drove them for years starting about 1994. I could notice a difference in "performance" when I had a passenger. If you are out to win a race, then no. If you would like a fun car that you can rev to the limit with no complaints all day long and get a grin on your face every time, go for it. If the head is not cracked, you could get it running for under a $100

Last edited by packratbimmer; 12-07-2015 at 02:26 PM. Reason: yes
packratbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:33 PM   #8
E30_Pare
R3V OG
 
E30_Pare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Palmdale/Lancaster
Posts: 7,802
Send a message via AIM to E30_Pare
Dump some headgasket fix and call it a day. Cant get cheaper than that and if it works it works.
__________________

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

E30_Pare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:13 AM   #9
Peterbuilt84
Noobie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Atascadero
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by packratbimmer View Post
Try popping a head gasket on it. They are cheap and the job is easy. The early 318i is the lightest body out there. A properly tuned M10 can be a lot of fun in a light car. I drove them for years starting about 1994. I could notice a difference in "performance" when I had a passenger. If you are out to win a race, then no. If you would like a fun car that you can rev to the limit with no complaints all day long and get a grin on your face every time, go for it. If the head is not cracked, you could get it running for under a $100
I have a line on a whole M10 carb motor that I should be able to swap my efi parts onto. If that doesn't pan out I'll just take the head off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30_Pare View Post
Dump some headgasket fix and call it a day. Cant get cheaper than that and if it works it works.
As someone who has worked on a motor that was done to, I can't.
Peterbuilt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:24 PM   #10
thebutterson
E30 Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kent, WA
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterbuilt84 View Post
I have a line on a whole M10 carb motor that I should be able to swap my efi parts onto. If that doesn't pan out I'll just take the head off.
Is it from an E21 or a 2002? The 2002 blocks have different holes for the engine mounts and will require custom mounts. The E21 block will bolt up but is missing two vertical bolt holes for the lower transmission cover. The cover will still bolt on to the horizontal holes though.

You'll probably need a cover for the carb fuel pump too.
thebutterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:28 PM   #11
Peterbuilt84
Noobie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Atascadero
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebutterson View Post
Is it from an E21 or a 2002? The 2002 blocks have different holes for the engine mounts and will require custom mounts. The E21 block will bolt up but is missing two vertical bolt holes for the lower transmission cover. The cover will still bolt on to the horizontal holes though.

You'll probably need a cover for the carb fuel pump too.
Great info, thanks! I believe it's from an E21. Need to check for sure. Fabbing something up isn't an issue for me but dropping something in is much easier.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Peterbuilt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:29 PM   #12
TobyB
No R3VLimiter
 
TobyB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Carnation WA usa
Posts: 3,555
Quote:
I have a line on a whole M10 carb motor that I should be able to swap my efi parts onto.
This often isn't as easy as it seems- the E21 injection had ports in the head on some versions,
and swapping bits gets a bit tricky- at the least, you'll have to swap pans, oil pumps,
etc.

First, make sure it's really dead. A small coolant leak and a bad spark plug wire
aren't good reasons to swap an engine. You'll need to diagnose it anyway to make
sure you know what's going on, and that you fix the problem. And it's not hard to sort out...
Throw coolant in it, and see where it goes. Do a quick compression and leakdown test
while it's running. Then you'll have a better idea of what you have now.


If the engine really is losing coolant internally, my suggestion would be to pull the head off it and see. Often, the M10 head gasket
goes- and nothing else does. Or the head gets damaged, but the block survives-
they're HORRIFICALLY stout.
And tossing a head back on is the work of another evening or so. I've done a head
gasket in 4 hours, when I had to...

Don't panic,

t
__________________
Quote:
now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves
TobyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:39 PM   #13
Peterbuilt84
Noobie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Atascadero
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyB View Post
This often isn't as easy as it seems- the E21 injection had ports in the head on some versions,
and swapping bits gets a bit tricky- at the least, you'll have to swap pans, oil pumps,
etc.

First, make sure it's really dead. A small coolant leak and a bad spark plug wire
aren't good reasons to swap an engine. You'll need to diagnose it anyway to make
sure you know what's going on, and that you fix the problem. And it's not hard to sort out...
Throw coolant in it, and see where it goes. Do a quick compression and leakdown test
while it's running. Then you'll have a better idea of what you have now.


If the engine really is losing coolant internally, my suggestion would be to pull the head off it and see. Often, the M10 head gasket
goes- and nothing else does. Or the head gets damaged, but the block survives-
they're HORRIFICALLY stout.
And tossing a head back on is the work of another evening or so. I've done a head
gasket in 4 hours, when I had to...

Don't panic,

t
Thanks! Appreciate the input! The motor I have a line on was offered to me for free, all I have to do is pick it up. I think it's worth my time just to have the spare parts.

After a little test drive after I fixed the fuel leak there was still a real issue. I pulled the plugs and they were some of the worst I've seen. Replaced those with no difference. I think the head gasket is just really blown. I agree a compression and leak down test are in order. Just haven't had time. Working six days a week full time and going to school is the real issue (I really don't mind the work).

It is reassuring that these motors are stout. I really hope it's as simple as putting a new head gasket in. At this point I'm convinced it's worth keeping either way Lots of good input from this forum. It was also reassuring when I looked in the car after it rained and found no leaks anywhere!
Peterbuilt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 05:51 PM   #14
Smelser
Mod Crazy
 
Smelser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 634
I can use any and all M10 parts. the last night at the track for us, head gasket went, dumped coolant into the oil and the engine seized solid on the track. havent looked to see what parts are junked. But I am assuming its the third crank for me this year that is toast. I need cranks, rods and blocks and pistons from the block. I am running low but also live near niagara falls if anyone has anything.
__________________

1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports
Smelser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:49 PM   #15
jeffnhiscars
R3V Elite
 
jeffnhiscars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Officially Tampa
Posts: 4,438
I had an M10 for 17 years and gave it headers, aluminum flywheel and a 5 spd. The motor itself was never touched and I never got over 24 mpg which is almost exactly the same (actually slightly less) than my ETA and Cabrio get

Still, you have to love the way the m10 e30 handles.
__________________
Seat, Deck Lid & Cabrio Hinge Shocks available for immediate shipping

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=381242

Alice the Time Capsule
http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220
jeffnhiscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2004 - 2020 R3VLimited LLC