Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That looks really good. It looks like a really nice bar, but as has already been stated I think its success will be price dependant. Also, to those complaining about rollover safety, this is more to get your after market seatbelt geometry right for a high speed front end colision. If you do run a 4 or 5 point harness without one of these and without a cage, you are much more likely to submarine and destroy your back.
    sigpic

Comment

If you do run a 5 point harness without one of these and without a cage, you are much more likely to submarine and destroy your nutsack.
      ...made that more graphic for ya...

t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
        ...made that more graphic for ya...

t
        Hilarity ensues! Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I drove it around today and I think the car over all felt more rigid. I have a feeling this would be exaggerated in the case of a vert.

Comment

Are you making these to sell yet? I'm interested depending on the price.
          sigpic

Comment

That's pretty.

My take is that a harness bar is probably, on aggregate, not a bad idea IF it gets you
            into a 5 point harness AND a Hans. Yes, if you pancake on the roof, you are dead,
            but that happens a LOT less than short, sharp stoppies from hitting something immovable.

Whatever floats your boat- I used a bolt in roll bar in the 2002 because I didn't really
            trust the roof. On an E30, if it wasn't a regular track rat, I'd probably personally prefer a harness
            bar over the 3- points AND NO HANS.

But I've had a couple of short sharp stoppies, and haven't yet rolled...

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Is this still moving ahead?

And as far as all the argument on harness bars in general, if you roll over in an E30 without a cage you're pretty much dead anyways. Now, in a collision where the car remains on all 4 wheels without any air bags, I would argue it is much better to have a secure harness holding you in place. So for a street-driven car, I think this is a nice happy medium in terms of a safety upgrade.
              1990 325i Touring - The Bonsai Bimmer - Patiently Waiting
              1984 316 Coupe - The Base Model - Pain in the Ass
              1988 750iL - The Daily Driver
              ...And a couple others...

Comment

I was always under the impression the harness bars were intended for auto-x use in daily drivers, like you want more support since factory belts don't hold you in well under cornering, you don't want an aftermarket seat, and you leave the stock belts retained for street use. I'm not in the market for one but this looks nicely done.

The way I've heard it said is you never want to be in a car with a harness without a cage, and you never want to be in a car with a cage without a helmet. I had a street-driven AE86 with a cage/harness once and never again.
                sigpic
                1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

This ever happen?

Comment

I would definitely purchase one of these as long as it's cheaper than the Sparco ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Originally posted by Vincent Brick View Post
                        I was always under the impression the harness bars were intended for auto-x use in daily drivers.
                        Pretty much.

I ran one for a while when I used to AutoX a Ford Focus. Done right, they are a great/safe way to run a competition seat with a 5/6 point belt setup. You can then remove the setup and go back to stock for the rest of the week..
                        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                        2016 Ford Flex
                        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

bump for interest! Shot the OP a msg

Comment

Originally posted by thedentonmare View Post
                            bump for interest! Shot the OP a msg

OP is banned, so I dont think he will get your PM
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

OP is banned, so I dont think he will get your PM
                              What'd he do?!?

(In before lock)
                              sigpic
                              1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                              1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                              1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                                What'd he do?!?

(In before lock)
                                No idea, but I guess a lock is in order ... thanks for visiting
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                                X