breaker bar fell on battery junction box, shorted, no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

breaker bar fell on battery junction box, shorted, no start

i was replacing my control arm bushings (yay success) and afterwards my ix doesnt start.

while attempting to remove the inner balljoint nut my breaker bar slipped out of my hand and landed on the battery junction box on the passenger side of the firewall. sparks flew and the breaker bar now has 4 small spot weld looking marks on it's handle.

what the fuck did i melt?

i checked cps, it's good. fuses good. cranks hard, but no spark. no power at the coil. there is power at the battery cable in the junction box, 12 volts. but the negative terminal right next to it does not ground out.

i tried looking in the bentley for wiring schematic specific to the junction box but i came up with nothing.

i sold the rx8, the ix is my only car. please help. i need to get to work.
    AWD > RWD

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
    i was replacing my control arm bushings (yay success) and afterwards my ix doesnt start.

while attempting to remove the inner balljoint nut my breaker bar slipped out of my hand and landed on the battery junction box on the passenger side of the firewall. sparks flew and the breaker bar now has 4 small spot weld looking marks on it's handle.

what the fuck did i melt?

i checked cps, it's good. fuses good. cranks hard, but no spark. no power at the coil. there is power at the battery cable in the junction box, 12 volts. but the negative terminal right next to it does not ground out.

i tried looking in the bentley for wiring schematic specific to the junction box but i came up with nothing.

i sold the rx8, the ix is my only car. please help. i need to get to work.
    There's no ground in that box. Only two hot feeds from the battery. The smaller one has a fusible link that controls power to the main relay. You'll have no fuel or spark if this goes.

Go to your trunk. Pull up the carpet and look at the right hand side.

There should be a long plastic cover. There's two positive battery feeds there underneath it.

Peel back the casing between the two wires, and find the fusable link. It's blown.

Either get a new one (one from the junkyard), replace it with a properly sized fuse (I think it's 60A or 80A) You can get these at a stereo shop.

Or just wire it with a smaller gauge wire to act as a new fusible link.

Hopefully this helps!

Comment

fuseable link

doesn't your junction have the plastic cover on it?
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

learned something new

Comment

Nailed it. Fusible link blown to hell. I soldered in a 18 gauge wire then went to radioshack for a fuse holder. It's a 50A fuse.

The crazy thing is that 30 minutes after it didn't start, I went to the trunk to check it, but as I was pulling up the carpet I told myself the interior has power and it cranks, so it can't be that! Stupidity on my part.

Thanks for the help.Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1398215212406.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	7165211

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
          AWD > RWD

Comment

Did the same shit, check your alternator?
            1991 325i Calypso Coupe

Like Grandfather, Like Father, Like Son
            BMW

Comment

fuseable link is what powers the DME, and nothing else.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
              X