S50 E30 Autocross Cabrio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S50 E30 Autocross Cabrio

I used this site to help me thru my S50 swap. For those of you thinking about doing the swap... read the sticky (that's what its there for).

I finished it about a year ago but I never posted any pictures so here goes.

The first few shots of the car are recent. The last few are some action shots from an autocross a while back when it had the M20. I autocrossed once with the new motor. It did well but it needs a better gear ratio. I installed a 4:10 LSD when it had the M20. I purchased a 3:73 LSD but I've been too busy with the Turbo M42 D-Mod car (the other project) to install the diff. I used the Getrag 260 for the swap which is why I want to go back to the 3:73.

This car is a garage queen, weekend cruiser and occasional autocrosser. It has a GC setup with Koni SA shock, Eibach sway bars, Treehouse eyeball control arm bushings and Sparco strut tower brace. The car has a custom roll bar that was covered in matching leather.

The motor has some basic upgrades like 24lb injectors, Ignition Solution coils, 540 HFM, Bimmerworld 3.5 to 3 reducer elbow, fan delete (lower temp thermostat, lower temp fan switch, aux fan on/off switch), JetHot coated exhaust manifolds, lightened M20 flywheel, Turner chip, E36 cats and E36 M3 Remus cat back exhaust. I would like to add an oil cooler in the near future just to be safe.

Paul Q

I like ! Looks clean, like the oem looking cd player. Just needs some baller seats :)
    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

yummy, tech 1 + startecs = WIN!
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Is that roolbar easily removable? If so, where do I sign up for one?
        Hemingway said it best. “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

Help a brother out, buy your detailing products here...

Comment

Originally posted by devonjordan View Post
          Is that roolbar easily removable? If so, where do I sign up for one?
          Yes, it is easily removable. That was one of the specs I requested for when I had it made.

I've had the roll bar for about 6 years now. For the first couple years I would pull it in and out after each autocross. For the last 4 years I have left it in. I haven't been carrying more than one passenger very often. When it does happen I ask them to do the limbo.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
            I like ! Looks clean, like the oem looking cd player. Just needs some baller seats :)
            The head unit came from a Z3. It wasn't E30 but it was BMW. I removed the E30 electric antenna and installed an E36 M3 cabrio antenna.

I also have a Z3 steering rack which helps for autocrossing.

Comment

Hi Paul,

Your car looks fantastic!

The covered roll bar, and the rear seat back not torn? Beautiful!

I'm contemplating moving my ABS because I can't fit an air filter in there with the 540 MAF and Samco boot. What filter are you using?

Doug

Comment

very clean and impressive.

join the E30 Cabrio owners gruppe
                click here for details

Comment

That is super clean!

How much did that 3.5 to 3.0 elbow run ya?
                  IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by e30pq View Post
                    Yes, it is easily removable. That was one of the specs I requested for when I had it made.

I've had the roll bar for about 6 years now. For the first couple years I would pull it in and out after each autocross. For the last 4 years I have left it in. I haven't been carrying more than one passenger very often. When it does happen I ask them to do the limbo.

Notice your in carlsbad, where'd you have it done and what did it cost. I'm doing an s50 in my cabby too, but want to start doing HPDE's and without a roll bar, I cant.

Thanks for the info,
                    Devon
                    Hemingway said it best. “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

Help a brother out, buy your detailing products here...

Comment

wow that a real clean car man. nice work. still running a/c and cc i see. what's your cooling system comprised off fanwise? and what oil cooler route are you considering.

i'm in love with your engine bay, we have same color 2d's but your bay is just so sexy

...and what are those strut supports? they come with cabby's or you welded them in?! cool deal either way
                      No more e30s for me.
                      88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                      88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                      91 BMW 325i [sold]
                      86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                      http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

how does the car feel, with and without the rollbar? do u have it more for body flex or protection?
                        looks very clean , i would have never considered putting one in but i think i might habe changed my mind

Comment

Originally posted by dougsic View Post
                          Hi Paul,

Your car looks fantastic!

The covered roll bar, and the rear seat back not torn? Beautiful!

I'm contemplating moving my ABS because I can't fit an air filter in there with the 540 MAF and Samco boot. What filter are you using?

Doug
                          Doug -- I'm running a K&N filter. They have a spreadsheet at their website that you can pull down that has all their different filters by dimension. I measured how much space I had and found the best one.

Comment

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
                            That is super clean!

How much did that 3.5 to 3.0 elbow run ya?
                            I can't remember. I got it from Bimmerworld and I know they still sell them. There is another advantage to that elbow besides providing better flow (no ribs) and the transition. You have the option of shortening it which allows for more room with your air filter.
                            Last edited by e30pq; 08-06-2010, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by devonjordan View Post
                              Notice your in carlsbad, where'd you have it done and what did it cost. I'm doing an s50 in my cabby too, but want to start doing HPDE's and without a roll bar, I cant.

Thanks for the info,
                              Devon
                              I got it done about 6 years ago by a shop in Santee that focused on 944's. The shop is gone now.

I suggest you find a good speed shop that would take on the project.

Technically it's a bolt in cage but it is custom (not the Autopower cage or whoever makes one for the E30). The shop I used outsourced the upholstery.

Comment

Working...
                              X