New cardinal interior - Ninestitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New cardinal interior - Ninestitch

I wanted to make a thread for anyone who's considering having their interior redone. Like most convertibles, my leather was sundried, cracked, split beyond repair and in general looked pretty bad. Years ago, my side bolsters were replaced with off-color vinyl and the interior dyed black so they would match. So my goal was to redo everything and start from a clean slate. I wanted to restore the car's original cardinal red but also wanted a cloth interior because it's easier to live with.

BMW never made this combination from the factory so I had to have it custom made. There are a few people on here and on the web who make kits and they vary in price from 600 on up depending on who makes it and which material you want. Since I wanted simple cloth and vinyl it wasn't going to be that expensive. The style I like is cloth centers with cloth inner bolsters, and vinyl outer bolsters. But the problem with the OEM BMW convertible rear seats is you can get cloth centers but there's no seam in the middle of the bolsters like there is on the fronts so from the factory the entirety of the rear bolsters are vinyl - ie. the rears don't match the front. So what's the point of spending all this money on redoing my interior if it's not going to flow right?

I saw John from Ninestitch on a thread here about a black alcantara interior and he'd come up with a custom-design seat cover which appeased my OCD and looks pretty good! He's a stand up guy and I wouldn't hesitate to do business again. He'd also made me a second set of headrests to add on the rear and a shifter/boot set so everything would match.

John was always quick to return my calls, txts, emails to talk about my kit. I felt much better doing business with him than some other people on this forum. In short, he's a stand up guy and goes by his word. I spent what I would consider to be a lot of money on this so I wanted to make this thread to show how his kit looks and what kind of experience I had as a customer.

I still have to dye the door cards and seat backs but the car looks a million times better than it did before. The fit was generally pretty good, though some of the corners are a bit wrinkled, which I would readily chalk up to my own inexperience with interior work. That being said, I was able to pick it up pretty easily based on the information readily available on the internet and a close look at how the old seat covers came off. I would say on the difficulty scale, installing this kit was easier than doing a timing belt, but that's not to say it wasn't hard work. Is it worth paying someone $1000 to do it for me? No way! At times the material required trimming to fit just right but John was just a phone call away to set me straight.

Yes I know my wheels are dirty - I just got back from vacation.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

I dig the cloth. Never understood the fascination with leather and/or vinyl. It's hot in the summer, cold in the winter and makes your back sweat like a bitch. Cloth is the way to go IMO.

Comment

Awesome. I've got a vinyl cardinal interior, and although I love the color, I HATE the vinyl, and my seat bottom is ripped anyway, so I might as well get it redone in fabric. I wasn't sure if there was a cardinal colored fabric available, but that looks like a good match. Saving these pics for future reference.

Comment

^ Ask John which color combo he used for mine. When you look closely, the cloth (really tweed) here is actually a two tone, with the lighter of the two colors matching the vinyl. It looks really nice in person!

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
        I dig the cloth. Never understood the fascination with leather and/or vinyl. It's hot in the summer, cold in the winter and makes your back sweat like a bitch. Cloth is the way to go IMO.
        Exactly what I was thinking. I suppose if it's never hot or cold out and your car is always in a controlled environment (ie. has a roof) then leather can feel nice. But if you drive your car for more than two seasons out of the year it's not practical at all.

Comment

Very nice! The cardinal interior in my car will need some help eventually. It's hanging in there for now while I get some other stuff taken care of.
          -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
          '95 525iT
          '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
          '98 Disco 1

Comment

That set up look really nice.
            sigpic
            323i MTEC1
            Z3 coupe
            E60 M5

Comment

Good choice on the cloth, this looks really sweet. I'm probably going through John when I do my interior as well.
              sigpic
              '88 325is. built M20. dd.
              '72 2002 roundie sold

Instagram @doug_mitchell

Comment

Just sent an email over to John, looking forward to hearing and working with him, love that red on red!
                C6Z
                S2K
                VeloN

Comment

I've seen this in person... Looks AMAZING.

--Mike
                  (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Interior look great! I recently did a vert with John's vinyl kit. The way your cloth turned out has me second guessing myself! Tough work for sure.
                    1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Thanks! I've always had cloth interiors so it just made sense for me. I still need to paint my door cards, seat backs, and carpet but it's so much better than it was before.

I want to add that the wrinkles on some of the corners of my rear seats have started to work themselves out with how hot it's been lately. When I pull the back seat to install rear headrests (can't believe how expensive the mounting kit is) I'll see if they won't stretch just a bit more.

Comment

That looks amazing!

Comment

Where did you get the rear headrest mounting kit? I'm looking to add them to my car as well.
                          1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

ecs

Comment

Looks awesome. I just dropped off a set of front and rear seats to John yesterday. I am excited to see the output. I considered cloth but ended up going all leather, its not a vert though.
                              Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Working...
                              X