Toolbox Organization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toolbox Organization

Hey guys not sure if this will help anyone out, but I finally got around to getting a toolbox and setting everything up with some foam!

If you want to do this it's pretty easy I ordered my foam from the http://www.thefoamfactory.com/

Make sure it's closed cell foam I used Polyethylene Foam since it was cheaper. Measure the length and width of your drawers to figure out how much you need and add some more just in case you need to fill something in or do a bad cut. Measure the depth of the drawer, but when you order the foam I would leave half of inch of space at least for example, if the drawer is an inch and a half deep have a inch of foam in the drawer.

Whatever depth you choose divide it by 2 and then order one halve in black and one halve in white foam in order to shadow it.

Once you get the foam let it expand for a day or two.

From here you can either make your cuts from the measurements made earlier, while they are separated or glue them together and then cut. Btw use adhesive spray glue to bond them together; WalMart, Lowes, homedepot, etc should all carry it, if they're cut and separate it makes a lot easier to glue. I chose to slap them together and then cut them out.

Once the glue dries the fun part is next. It honestly took me about 6 hours to do everything the most tedious process was the sockets since I wanted individual slots for each socket.

The process is pretty straight forward lay down your tools however you want and trace them out as they lay in the drawer. If you do them one after another instead of while they are all laid out you might run into spacing issues. Once everything is traced out start your cuts and when you go to peel them hold the borders of the cut down so they don't peel up. Take your time and it'll come out perfect I rushed mine here and there, but it didn't really bother me it's way better than having everything thrown in this

Hope this helps someone and it saved me some money doing it this way all the toolbox foam is sort of expensive lol
    Last edited by gespinal0301; 12-30-2015, 07:34 AM.

My Daily Driven 318is

Ha, yeah, the kit I take to the track came that way from (cough) Home Despot.
    The tools are average, but being able to find them in a hurry AND know they got
    back is worth the effort of doing it.
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

My work box is inventoried/etched/shadowed using some sort of 1.5" thick black foam that looks exactly like what you have. I just trace out the tool, cut all the way through, and then section the piece I cut out to whatever depth off the bottom and put it back in (eg. a 1/4" extension is thinner than a 1" socket, so I leave the piece thicker for the extension)

I also stack my wrenches by set together on their side, I just find it takes less room.

My home toolbox is a damn mess though.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Makes me wish I was OCD. I'm just happy if I have room to walk in my work shed and enough space on the bench for whatever I'm doing :)
        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
        Alice the Time Capsule
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
          Ha, yeah, the kit I take to the track came that way from (cough) Home Despot.
          The tools are average, but being able to find them in a hurry AND know they got
          back is worth the effort of doing it.
          Trust me dealing with that blue box was like walking through hell. I could never find the socket, wrench or allen key I needed lol

My Daily Driven 318is

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
            My work box is inventoried/etched/shadowed using some sort of 1.5" thick black foam that looks exactly like what you have. I just trace out the tool, cut all the way through, and then section the piece I cut out to whatever depth off the bottom and put it back in (eg. a 1/4" extension is thinner than a 1" socket, so I leave the piece thicker for the extension)

I also stack my wrenches by set together on their side, I just find it takes less room.

My home toolbox is a damn mess though.
            For my 1/4 sockets I had to add in some foam so it wouldn't sink in too deep, but it's definitely worth in

My Daily Driven 318is

Comment

I could never do this with my box as I'm constantly buying new tools here and there. I went with wrench holders and socket rails and then just non-slip matting for everything else.

Comment

Yeah. Non- slip works fine for the shop kit, but for the box that gets tossed in the back of the truck a dozen times a year,
                the cutouts are worth the effort.

Especially when you're in Spokanistan and you're the only one who thought to bring an 18mm
                wrench AND socket AND and can lay hands on them right away...

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Most definitely for a mobile box. I did this with the tools I keep in the car all the time:

The part with the orange box has egg crate on the bottom and sits on top of the wrenches/sockets. Then I put a piece of egg crate foam in the lid to hold everything in place.

FYI, I used yoga mat from Wal-mart. Very cheap, and the same stuff you can buy from commercial places. Plus no shipping!

Comment

In my neck of the woods, this is what most mechanics have, myself included:

You can rearrange it anyway you want, because your tool selection is always changing/ you're always buying new stuff.

Comment

My tool box came with them mats standard.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                        Most definitely for a mobile box. I did this with the tools I keep in the car all the time:

The part with the orange box has egg crate on the bottom and sits on top of the wrenches/sockets. Then I put a piece of egg crate foam in the lid to hold everything in place.

FYI, I used yoga mat from Wal-mart. Very cheap, and the same stuff you can buy from commercial places. Plus no shipping!
                        Great idea! I never thought of using that haha

Originally posted by petrolhead View Post
                        In my neck of the woods, this is what most mechanics have, myself included:

You can rearrange it anyway you want, because your tool selection is always changing/ you're always buying new stuff.

do you hang your wrenches there too?

My Daily Driven 318is

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                          for the box that gets tossed in the back of the truck a dozen times a year,
                          the cutouts are worth the effort.
                          Exactly. Not that I have a choice, but the foam makes sure most of my stuff doesn't get tossed around when the expediters throw it on/off the truck as I get passed around like a cheap whore to whichever program needs an extra body.
                          Originally posted by priapism
                          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                          Originally posted by shameson
                          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by gespinal0301 View Post
                            do you hang your wrenches there too?
                            Pretty much everything, all basic hand tools. I have one like that at work, another at my own garage. Plus a wall or walls like that for special tools. They take similar hangers and hooks that the tool boxes have. I can take pic of my garage setup if I remember.

Comment

This thread is making me miss my toolboxes, haven't seen them in in a long time, they live in my Dad's shop now, 2000 miles away. Hopefully a few more years and I will be able to bring them out here.

I currently work out of a tool bag and a 1980's drawer-less, plastic Craftsman thing. Just the essentials, which somehow included AN wrenches but not my Matco 3/8" in/lb when I was packing. womp womp
                              sigpic
                              1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

Working...
                              X