Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bosch AFM Refurbish / Restoration Service! (Air Flow Meter) AFM's FOR SALE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bosch AFM Refurbish / Restoration Service! (Air Flow Meter) AFM's FOR SALE!

First off, let me state that I am an electrical technician with over 21+ years professional experience in electronics repair, rework, and restoration. I specialize in custom electronics fabrication and electronics repair. I can build / repair electronics from high current applications to surface mount technology and circuit board repair. Please trust this service is performed with the utmost quality and standards.

Below is an outline of the service that I offer. The part number for this AFM is 13 62 1 466 350. This was used on many of the classic BMW motors but this particular unit came from my 1989 325is. Should work with all M20 motors. However, many Bosch AFM's are very similar and can be refurbished using these techniques.

Let me tell you that this is one of the most important sensors for your engine. After 20 or so years, these units really start to send your ECM poor and inaccurate feedback. The AFM has two sensors in one unit.
    -There is a Air Inlet Temperature sensor, which provides feedback to the ECM for incoming air temp.
    -There is a potentiometer which provides the ECM feedback voltage that is linear with respect to the opening of the internal flap. Non-linear for older sensors and eta's.

After many years of use, the inaccurate feedback will affect economy, poor running, poor idle, symptoms of misfire, and loss of power.

Here are some photos of the process that I used to test and refurbish the unit:

1. I first test the temperature sensor circuit. If this is bad, the AFM must be replaced. There are no replacement parts for this as of now. I am working on finding a suitable replacement that replicates the OEM electrical range. It should range from 1k ohms to 3k ohms (70F to 100F approx)

2. Unit is opened up and inspected for wear. This is the potentiometer circuit. In addition, I also check the spring tension vs. a known good and laser calibrated AFM that I use as part of my test setup. It is important to never adjust this spring tension as it was calibrated to very fine tolerance by Bosch.

Close-up of the "resistor strip." As you can see there is severe wear along the resistor strip. Once this resistor strip is worn away, the car will start to idle rough, provide poor fuel economy and all other symptoms listed above. You can also see the input and output contacts coming out of the black connector. These must be refurbished too.

3. Entire arm assembly disassembled and all electrical contacts thoroughly cleaned.

Cleaned using special electronics cleaner, although this is not much help once the resistor strip is worn out.

4. Once the resistor board is cleaned, I make adjustments to the connector contacts onto fresh resistor board. I also modify the wiper contact to make contact with fresh resistor strip. None of the old wear tracks are used. Connections are now used on fresh material only.

Close up of the action. Notice the wiper contact is now centered over fresh resistor strip. Noticed the electrical contacts now make contact with fresh resistor pads. Again my refurbished units contact only fresh resistor pads and strips.

5. Once re-assembled. The unit is tested for voltage output and drop out of any feedback during the length of travel of the internal flap.
    Here are oscilloscope image "captures" of the voltage feedback of a bad AFM over 10 seconds. Notice the signal drops repeatedly to zero near the 0% open.

Here is another bad AFM. This one drops voltage output near the fully open position. Does your car suddenly loose power near full throttle? This is your problem.

After electrical refurbishment. Very clean signal throughout, no drops to 0 volts.

Here is another "after" capture of the feedback. Notice there are NO drops to zero and the output curve is smooth with no irregular drops or increase in resistance.

Here is a repeatability test to verify there so no drops to zero near the fully open range. Nice clean signal with no signal drop out.

Once all is done. I lubricate all mechanical joints with Teflon and I sealed the unit up with silicon sealant. Electrically, these units are in near new condition and you will find better MPG, smoother idle, smoother power of lower RPM'S.

Again my process is this:
    1. AFM is heat tank soaked, ultra sonic cleaned, bead blasted clean, and clear coat painted.
    2. Test intake air temperature sensor resistance over the heat range specified by Bosch.
    3. Test AFM door spring tension and adjust accordingly to known Bosch specs.
    4. Disassemble wiper arm and connector assembly. Clean incoming, and outgoing contacts and bend them to contact fresh material. Clean wiper arm contacts and primary grounding post. Adjust wiper arm to contact fresh material.
    5. Reassemble wiper arm and connector. (all contacts touch fresh new material only!)
    6. All mechanical pivot points are lubricated with liquid Teflon. Its important to understand these 30+ year old sensors develop a lot of mechanical wear which may affect calibration, this is corrected.
    7. Measure voltage signal output with oscilloscope and adjust if necessary. We run a variety of tests including quality repeatability, linearity testing (or non linear for eta AFM's,) quality repeatability in the idle genre and the fully open genre. Every AFM is thoroughly tested over a variety of conditions.
    8. Lid is sealed with silicone to ensure a moisture and water proof AFM.
    9. Every successfully refurbished AFM will receive a quality control decal.

Those interested in purchasing an AFM service, the cost is $300 not including return shipping, 2 year repair warranty!.

Note: for older AFM's and MAF, I will include an additional service free of charge. This service is to ground the wiper contact arm to the grounding pin in the connector. This provides a more reliable and stable feedback and is the reason why the later versions implemented a ground in the design.

A quick testing note. Never use a mutlimeter on an AFM. Multimeters measure and display an average. So if you measure your AFM output resistance or voltage, your meter is showing you an average of that measurement. A meter will never "see" the microsecond voltage drops that occur when these fail.

Thanks and if there are any questions, please post them up or PM me. info@bavrest.com. www.BavRest.com. www.Instagram.com/BavarianRestoration www.Instagram.com/BavRest
    Greg
    Last edited by Gregs///M; 04-28-2021, 09:38 PM.
    Owner - Bavarian Restoration
    BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
    www.BavRest.com
    My Feedback Thread
    Our Facebook!
    Follow our Instagram!

Price?

Comment

Price updated in original post.
      www.BavRest.com
      My Feedback Thread
      Our Facebook!
      Follow our Instagram!

Comment

awesome!
        sigpic
        New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
        %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

will a bad afm throw off my smog results?

Comment

2nd that. I am having trouble passing my 25mpg NOx with my smog. Will it help any?

Comment

i have a good working icv and need your rebuild services chief!

Comment

Originally posted by dhcg86 View Post
                will a bad afm throw off my smog results?
                An inaccurate AFM will most definitely affect ignition and fuel management...so yes it would be possible. However, I find the most common cure for failed smog is a new catalytic converter and/or 02 sensor.

Originally posted by drhrble View Post
                2nd that. I am having trouble passing my 25mpg NOx with my smog. Will it help any?
                Possibly. An AFM refurbish would certainly help your car feel like its younger, but I cannot guarantee you will pass if other aspects of your motor are poor, like 02 sensor, cat, or vacuum leaks.

Originally posted by carloserna View Post
                i have a good working icv and need your rebuild services chief!
                Please send me a PM regarding ICV restoration. I have yet to open one up but if it CAN be opened, I can refurbish it.

Thanks for the questions guys.
                www.BavRest.com
                My Feedback Thread
                Our Facebook!
                Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Hey all,

I've got a huge lot of AFM's and IDV's for refurbishment. Once tested, I will offer them on this thread. This way you guys can pay for the AFM's and have a refundable deposit for your AFM. This will greatly reduce your vehicles downtime.

Stay tuned.
                  www.BavRest.com
                  My Feedback Thread
                  Our Facebook!
                  Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post
                    I've got a huge lot of AFM's and IDV's for refurbishment. Once tested, I will offer them on this thread. This way you guys can pay for the AFM's and have a refundable deposit for your AFM. This will greatly reduce your vehicles downtime.

Subscribing. I may be first in line when you start offering AFMs in this manner.

I think my AFM has been a big culprit in my poor acceleration. I adjusted the pickups to make contact with a different section of the resistor track, and it fixed my WOT bogging condition, but still have some issues. Mainly poor/bogging acceleration off idle, from 800 to about 1500rpm. Once it gets up past about 1500 it now pulls hard all the way to the rev limiter.

Since it is my daily, being without for several days would relegate me to driving the family truckster (suburban) and dealing with 12 to 15mpg.

Comment

suscribed for a fantastic and probably much-needed service for our 20+ y.o. motors.

Comment

Will definitely be contacting you in the near future. As soon as I get my 88 325is running, I'll take my 86 325e off the road and let you fine tune its AFM

There's so many knowledgable people on this forum. It's really great to have someone offering a service like this.

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll be at Bimmerfest in Pasadena, CA for the weekend and once I return I'll be focusing on getting some AFMs available.
                          www.BavRest.com
                          My Feedback Thread
                          Our Facebook!
                          Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Can you possibly show us how you test for voltage? I can see that you have some small clips attached to the terminals, and I just want to replicate the exercise to determine how I can measure my AFM's voltage.

I did the test tonight, but got different figures from yours. Air temp was at 81 deg tonight and at 0%, the resistance was around 1611, and it went higher from there roughly up to 2500+.

Questions:

1. Are "flat spots" areas where resistance goes down, or completely have no readings? I noticed that some figures would drop as I moved the wipers, or even without readings (?)

2. Noticed that the wiper "tracks" were two sets, so it seems that the PO probably had it adjusted already, though he moved "south" rather than "north" of the original tracks. I can also see overlaps from the starting point to roughly 10-12% open. Which is easier to do? Some guy posted that setting it "north" of original is easier, and "south" is trickier, is that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Quinthirty View Post
                              Can you possibly show us how you test for voltage? I can see that you have some small clips attached to the terminals, and I just want to replicate the exercise to determine how I can measure my AFM's voltage.

I did the test tonight, but got different figures from yours. Air temp was at 81 deg tonight and at 0%, the resistance was around 1611, and it went higher from there roughly up to 2500+.

Questions:

1. Are "flat spots" areas where resistance goes down, or completely have no readings? I noticed that some figures would drop as I moved the wipers, or even without readings (?)

2. Noticed that the wiper "tracks" were two sets, so it seems that the PO probably had it adjusted already, though he moved "south" rather than "north" of the original tracks. I can also see overlaps from the starting point to roughly 10-12% open. Which is easier to do? Some guy posted that setting it "north" of original is easier, and "south" is trickier, is that correct?
                              AFM input voltage is highly regulated +5 volts DC. Some AFM's are 12 volt DC. Really depends on your AFM, which is why you should have electrical engineering experience when modifying/restoring the AFM or it will become toast. Your air intake temperature is within range.

1. The voltage output is linear with respect to flap angle, therefore any irregular readings, huge drops in resistance, and opens is sure sign the contacts need to touch new material. Your particular AFM needs adjustment if you are experiencing this feedback.

2. Moving it South seems to be easier, however North is not much more difficult. Move it to the section that is cleanest.
                              www.BavRest.com
                              My Feedback Thread
                              Our Facebook!
                              Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Working...
                              X