No announcement yet.

Fully refurbished OEM BMW Alpine CM5907 and CM5908 slider radios, Trunk Amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And another one. I have one more radio prepped, 3 on deck that would ship next week
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Ok prepped radios gone. Next units will ship out early next week

HOWTOs:
      DB vert plastic bumpers
      OEM Keys
      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
      91 ic Calypso 3.1
      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Due to bad yields and very high labor needed on the tape decks I've had to raise prices on that version again. That Cantaloupe Ready option is looking rlike a really good bargain in comparison.. AND you get better audio while keep the OEM function and appearance.

I'm not giving up on the tape mechanism, but until I find replacement parts it's going to be hard to find good ones with reliable transports. Hopefully I'll get this sorted and will be able to offer these at a more affordable price.
        Last edited by bradnic; 02-06-2019, 08:03 AM.

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Had a great discussion with @jaysterling at Cantaloupe Radio. If you buy the "Cantaloupe Ready" version of my refurbished radios I can now 'officially' install your Cantaloupe bluetooth board for you too!

All you need to do is order the board WITH the installation option at http://cantalouperadio.com and specify that the board be shipped to me.

Two orders already pending! THANK YOU. You're gonna love the bluetooth!

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Awesome stuff Brad!
            Originally posted by kronus
            would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Brad, This is really good stuff. My lcd is not bleeding, it’s clear and bright but very pale compared to factory color scheme as in the pictures here. Any ideas? I will be opening it up soon for the cantaloupe bt retrofit kit v2. So wondering

Sorry for asking in your thread.

Comment

Originally posted by e30_e83 View Post
                Brad, This is really good stuff. My lcd is not bleeding, it’s clear and bright but very pale compared to factory color scheme as in the pictures here. Any ideas?
                Probably the LCD backlight needs to be replaced. I’ll PM you

Originally posted by e30_e83 View Post
                I will be opening it up soon for the cantaloupe bt retrofit kit v2. So wondering
                Yeah good to get any lighting and noise issues resolved during the upgrade. If you have any audio issues at all you should have the radio refurbished before doing the upgrade.

Basic advice: follow @jaysterling’s excellent directions to the letter and don’t touch anything else.

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

One more Cantaloupe ready with install sold. I will have 4 radios available Sunday

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Can’t say enough good things about Brad and his services. If you are thinking of getting a radio from him, do it. One of my best experiences buying online.

I ordered a Cantaloupe board from Jay and had it shipped to Brad. He installed it for me and kept me up to date on the status. He also took/sent me pics of the radio powered on before shipping it to me.

Thanks much Brad!
                    Last edited by slippery; 02-16-2019, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Gotta add my thoughts here. Brad is the real deal awesome community guy. Bought one from him and he has totally stood by his pledge of full functionality. I don't think I could say enough good things about him here. Good, fast communication and just a stand up guy.

If you are looking to stay OEM, you can't do better than getting one from him here. In fact, I think you would be crazy to go anywhere else!
                      Last edited by pj29; 03-10-2019, 12:05 PM.

Comment

i Want a clean tape deck version!

I have one to trade for credit with the tape deck functioning. But the display isn’t effect and the volume knob is noisy. I can also throw in my premium amp. (Replacing with aftermarket)

Comment

Brad was very patient with me, I finally sent some radios his way for you guys!
                          sigpic

Comment

@Jordan installed his refurbished 5908 recently in his incredible 318is build. 1st power up:
                            THANKS JORDAN!

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                            Radio works great as expected, power antenna working normally

more details on his radio:
                            Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                            Making it Jordan-worthy took about 15 hours of work, mixing and matching bits from 12 (!) different radios.
                            - Hardest part was getting a properly functioning tape deck together that was quiet and reliable. The tape deck that was delivered has components from 5 different radios. Tape head was cleaned and degaussed using professional solvents and tool, all rollers were cleaned as well. I finally found a source for tape deck belts too which is great news for cassette junkies.. As I find replacement rollers, capstans an other bits I'll add them to my tape deck refurb service.
                            - The amplifier is completely rebuilt (all the 5907s and 5908s from @jaysterling, Levent, myself are).
                            - Hardware is hand picked and correct, including the colored screws holding the tape deck in place
                            - all lighting replaced with new
                            - top and bottom covers are mint (I am going to start getting covers replated in the future)
                            - faceplate and knobs ultrasonically cleaned and detailed by hand. In fact we replaced the faceplate that shipped with an immaculate one I obtained later.
                            - heatsink was cleaned and polished to remove scratches (not functional but it brings it up to the snuff with the other external bits)
                            - external radio harness replaced (these parts are NLA, and replacing them requires disassembly of the amp

Here's the radio on Jordan's bench - he pulled the covers off to swap out an A- faceplate for an A+ one

-the LCD assembly on the right is from 3 radios and has a new backlight in it
                            -all the orange looking bulbs are new, as is the anti-theft LED
                            -all the buttons were cleaned. the green button LEDs checked out ok so were left alone
                            -all the high temp insulating tape is replaced with new
                            -the tape deck is reassembled from 5 different units as mentioned above. It's very difficult to find 30+ year old components with both the mechanical and electronic bits functioning properly. The mechanicals are incredibly complex too, with multiple motors levers and switches.
                            -the volume control was replaced with a refurbished part. it has 4 different parts to it including the on/off switch and push button.
                            -the joystick has 4 switches on it, and it's common for the left and right ones to go out requiring replacement.

HOWTOs:
                            DB vert plastic bumpers
                            OEM Keys
                            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                            91 ic Calypso 3.1
                            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Original radios are not necessarily my thing, but seeing the level of skill, work, and patience required i felt i had to say something, kudus to you sir for providing the service for the guys here that like this sort of thing. I think guys like you are a huge asset for the community, and i personally appreciate it.

Oh, and I’ve read your calypso thread page by page. I’m sure you get this a lot, but it’s ain inspiration to me and my modest little build by comparison.

Comment

4 radios in process. drop me a PM if you need advice or refurbishment service. Will have news to share soon about that.Nothing like the original radios :-).

Originally posted by Mike36 View Post
                                Brad was very patient with me, I finally sent some radios his way for you guys!
                                LOL thanks Mike. Keep those radios coming - and the occasional cd changer :-)

Originally posted by quanaman View Post
                                Original radios are not necessarily my thing, but seeing the level of skill, work, and patience required i felt i had to say something, kudus to you sir for providing the service for the guys here that like this sort of thing. I think guys like you are a huge asset for the community, and i personally appreciate it.
                                Thanks for the very kind words.. it means a lot to me.

Originally posted by quanaman View Post
                                Oh, and I’ve read your calypso thread page by page. I’m sure you get this a lot, but it’s ain inspiration to me and my modest little build by comparison.
                                Oh wow glad to hear it inspires folks. The more I dug into the car the more I really loved the original design more than the early model US version.. may hours and depleted funds later she's getting close. Saved up enough finally so that a stroker metric mechanic will be picked up soon. hopefully paint and full mtech1 will be completed next year.

I'm also upgrading to BMW sound system and a 5 channel trunk amp with subwoofer on Cosmo, my 86 325. That's going to be my demo car :-)
                                Last edited by bradnic; 04-20-2019, 08:16 AM.

HOWTOs:
                                DB vert plastic bumpers
                                OEM Keys
                                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Working...
                                X