No announcement yet.

e30 Keyless Entry (Sold Out)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EDIT: got it. I was using shitty wire connectors.

To everyone who does this and wants to mount this in the trunk, here is a small breakdown of the wires (mine is a 1989 so it may differ):

[unit wire: body wire]

red with fuse: positive side on battery
    Black wire: negative wire
    White wire: Green w/black stripe (by trunk actuator)
    White w/black stripe wire: green w/violet stripe (also by actuator)
    Yellow wire: ground
    Yellow wire with black stripe: ground

Haven't started the flashers yet but this is something to help get started.
    1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
    2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
    2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I should have stated white was for lock signal and white/black is for unlock signal for those of you who don't plan on installing them in the cabin.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
      My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Im planning to install mine in the trunk, but would like to have my lights flash on lock/unlock , any chance of that?
        http://bbswheels.blogspot.com

Comment

You would need to locate your parking light wires in the harness.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

When I get time, I will tear through my Bentley and figure out where I can get a signal to the lights so it does it for the front and rear lights. Right now I'm pretty tired, so I'll try and shoot for tomorrow night or the night after.

Btw einstein57, great product but I would recommend shipping it with some bubble wrap. One of the plastic tabs ended up showing up broken when it arrived in the mail. Not a big deal to me as I will be using the adhesive patch, but just a heads up in case someone else wants to use the tabs as some type of mounting support.
            1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
            2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
            2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Installed without a hitch..kinda.

How do i wire it up to unlock the trunk without unlocking the rest of the doors? (or is this just not possible in the e30?)

I installed it in the cabin by the kick panel, if i wire it up to the green/violet green/black there it unlocks the trunk but also the doors as well. What do i need to do so i can just unlock the trunk?

Also if anyone is wondering where you can get the flasher light wires, just go to the back of the headlight switch, remove the plug (for easier access) and you will see the wires that are listed in the diagram, tap into those to have flashers.

After i get this trunk thing working ill make a nice writeup describing how things go if anyone is confused.

Thanks again!
              Last edited by FLG; 01-18-2012, 03:11 AM.
              -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Great product...just bought one! Thanks!

Comment

Mine was just delivered. Hopefully, I'll get it installed shortly. Looks good!
                  1985 M635csi Black on Buffalo
                  1985 535is Zinno on Black
                  1985 M635csi White on Pacific Blue
                  1988 M3 Lachssilber on Black (sold)
                  1987 M3 Zinno on Black (totaled)

Comment

Originally posted by FLG View Post
                    Installed without a hitch..kinda.

How do i wire it up to unlock the trunk without unlocking the rest of the doors? (or is this just not possible in the e30?)

I installed it in the cabin by the kick panel, if i wire it up to the green/violet green/black there it unlocks the trunk but also the doors as well. What do i need to do so i can just unlock the trunk?

Also if anyone is wondering where you can get the flasher light wires, just go to the back of the headlight switch, remove the plug (for easier access) and you will see the wires that are listed in the diagram, tap into those to have flashers.

After i get this trunk thing working ill make a nice writeup describing how things go if anyone is confused.

Thanks again!
                    You can't get the trunk only unlock. The trunk output is to install a solenoid on the trunk latch so that is can pop itself open. And yes the wires for the flashers are on the harness on the back of the headlight switch. The installation on other models like the e28 are exactly the same except the wiring harness for the lights are different colors.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

Originally posted by msf23 View Post
                      Great product...just bought one! Thanks!
                      You forgot the coupon code. Almost didn't notice it. When my wife starts doing the shipping I can tell you guys she won't give the money back. Lol

www.gecoils.com

Comment

does this unit include built in relays?

Comment

All done, works like a charm.

Im going to make sure im correct on this, but i was going to connect the green wire to a relay, and wire it up to trigger the horn when i lock the car...but when i tested it for continuity it would trigger the ground for nearly 30 second...which wouldnt be very good for a horn, but i imagine you could than use it for a window output without having to purchase an extra controller? Hook up the relay to be negative triggered (if anyone is wondering the pin out on a relay for negative trigger 87 is output, 85 is negative trigger, and 86,30 are fused 12v)

Just a thought, for now im just going to put everything back together and enjoy it.

If anyone needs help feel free to PM me, its very very simple.

Make sure you test functionality during each step and before closing everything up! You dont want to have to go back and do it all over again. Also make sure the driver side door is closed or it will not lock. Also remove battery power when working with the electrical system.

Remove cover under dash, remove drivers kick panel, and peel back carpet. Your going to see about 4 bundles of wires that are being held in by a clip 3 will be removable with a bit of finesse and 1 (biggest of the bunch) you cant remove without removing the clip, but this one isnt the one your going to be using so its fine, also the 2 smaller ones can be moved out of the way as well. The second largest one in the group is the one your looking for.

Find the yellow/blue and splice into it (i used butt connectors and heat shrink tape) with the solid white from the controller

Next find green/blue and splice into that with the white/black from the controller

Attach yellow, yellow/black, and black to a ground (i used one of the screws behind the kick panel)

Next look at your steering column, your going to see a block of connectors, press the 2 tabs in and remove the block (will make things easier to access). There will be a thick red wire, this wire is always hot, regardless of ignition...thats what we want. Now to make things easier i just used a quick splice to tap into it, generally i dont like quick splices but you dont have much room to work with and were dealing with a momentary and pretty low amperage connection, so in this situation it worked just fine.

Next step, remove the connector from your headlight switch (be careful not to break the tabs, i broke one...their delicate) your going to find a grey/white and a grey/yellow, splice one of the brown wires into grey/white and the other into grey/yellow (makes no difference) this will now allow the parking lights to flash.

Re-wrap the wire bunch you spliced into earlier with tape and put it back under the carpet.

I than attached the plug and used the double sided tape included and attached the controller to the ABS computer which sits on the left side.

Wrap up the wires, zip tie..ect to neaten things up a bit.

Again test and make sure everything is working. Button it all up, and your done.

Also if you have a 5 spd and you find a connector sitting on the floor and have no idea where it came from, check here...you probably knocked off the same one i did.

Dont worry, its just a clutch bypass connector for the auto guys.

I hope this helps. Also if your wondering why we cant use the trunk open button..check my post above, cant open just the trunk without a separate solenoid to open it.

Now off to get the keys cut later today.

And finally, dont sit there and unlocking/locking the thing a bunch of times in quick succession..if i remember correctly from the bently after 8 times the central locking computer will put itself in a safety mode momentarily as to not burn out the circuitry.
                          Last edited by FLG; 01-19-2012, 01:30 AM.
                          -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
                            does this unit include built in relays?
                            Yes it does.

Originally posted by FLG View Post
                            And finally, dont sit there and unlocking/locking the thing a bunch of times in quick succession..if i remember correctly from the bently after 8 times the central locking computer will put itself in a safety mode momentarily as to not burn out the circuitry.
                            Thanks for the write up. And yes you will fry for central locking unit if you lock and unlock the doors in fast succession. You can fry it doing it just off the trunk lock with the key over and over.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

Is there any way to wire in alarm functionality to this?
                              http://www.steinbachphoto.ca

Comment

Perhaps depending on what alarm you purchased. Unfortuneately I would not be able to provide you with any information on the subject as I am not familiar with which alarms do what.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

Working...
                                X