Gauging Interest: E30 24v Swap Complete SS Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauging Interest: E30 24v Swap Complete SS Exhaust

I have an excellent welder who is experienced with building exhausts and we've recently talked of building a prototype complete stainless steel bolt on E30 24v swap exhaust setup that would also include a set of the typical euro SS ebay headers modified for perfect E30 fitment and vband flanges at both collectors. Similar to what we did on netcsk's E30 S52 Swap.

Our end goal is to build a complete SS E30 24v swap exhaust that includes SS headers, catalytic converter, SS chambered muffler, vband connected mid-section (for easy maintenance of the drive train), and all mandrel bent SS pipe front to rear while keeping the price around $1000.

This would be a complete exhaust that would only require you to install the headers and mount the mid section and muffler.

Details:

- Euro SS Ebay Headers (Modified for direct E30 fitment)
    - 2x 2" SS v-band flanges -> 2x 2" SS flex pipes (in 4" long sections for easy mounting)
    - 2" SS mandrel bent pipe to SS Catalytic Converter (2" Dual In / 2.5" Single Out)
    - 2.5" SS mandrel bent pipe to 2.5" SS v-band flange
    - 2.5" SS mandrel bent pipe to SS chambered muffler (not Vibrant)
    - Dual 3" Polished SS angled exhaust tips (angle cut w/ rolled lip)

Basically a dual 2" to the cat then 2.5" to the muffler.

We should have the prototype and with it the jig to reproduce it within the next few weeks. If enough initial demand exists I can get a better price on material with a group buy. Of course I wouldn't ask anyone to commit to one until I provided pictures and video of the prototype.

As always I'm open to suggestions and comments.

i would consider this, thought id like a y from the header into a single instead of dual, but ill wait to see where this goes. Matt
    sigpic
    24v swapped

Comment

Parts are trickling in for the prototype.

The Y at the headers was our first plan and we may still go that route if the dual setup into the cat proves to be labor intensive.

Comment

You should offer a aluminized option for people that can't afford/don't need stainless. Also a catless option with test pipe would be a + for non emission/track people. Just thinking out loud here.

Comment

I think 2.5" single would be more popular. Easier/cheaper to make, easier to sell. Also, lighter and whatever.

If it is going to be dual, are you going to have an xpipe after the headers? Any option for a second muffler instead of the cat?
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by justin_l_ View Post
            You should offer a aluminized option for people that can't afford/don't need stainless. Also a catless option with test pipe would be a + for non emission/track people. Just thinking out loud here.
            We've priced it out with the cat and it was only going to save ~$200 but a track / straight pipe version made from aluminized is a possibility in the future. We wanted to start with something with high quality and then see what we could do for economy versions down the road once we get a jib setup to reproduce.

Originally posted by Northern View Post
            I think 2.5" single would be more popular. Easier/cheaper to make, easier to sell. Also, lighter and whatever.

If it is going to be dual, are you going to have an xpipe after the headers? Any option for a second muffler instead of the cat?
            It its a single 2.5 after the cat and the O2 bung is at the inlet side of the cat. Since a single in / single out cat costs about the same as a dual in single out the addition of a Y pipe actually increases the material cost.

Comment

BJ's work is top-notch. He's the one who did Lola's exhaust. The glorious noise puts a smile on my face every time I wind her out.

Originally posted by agent View Post
              Here's a quick takeoff fly-by video Sideways87 and I took earlier. Listen on something with some low end range.

Originally posted by kronus
              would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

I would be pretty interested in this as well.

Any chance you are open to a recommendation? The 2.5" Vband at the back may not be a good idea. They work wonderful, however when your car is even slightly lowered those things just asked to be ripped off.

Comment

Originally posted by jt223539 View Post
                  I would be pretty interested in this as well.

Any chance you are open to a recommendation? The 2.5" Vband at the back may not be a good idea. They work wonderful, however when your car is even slightly lowered those things just asked to be ripped off.
                  Agent experienced this first hand and we have taken it into consideration, the idea was to try to place it on the upswing to the muffler to keep it out of harms way.

If we develop a cheaper version from aluminized steel then we will also cut the convenience features to get the price as low as possible.

Comment

If you could have something made without a cat and 3" piping I'd be very interested :-) Aluminized steel would be even better. Unless you think a supercharged s52 won't be choked by 2.5 exhaust...

Comment

I'm interested as well, I'd like to have the cat and then also buy a test pipe, or something with a resonator (could work out a deal outside of this with you) as I'm in NJ and we still have emissions testing, I also don't want it to be too loud with just a test pipe, would rather have the resonator to quiet it down and keep drone in check.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertK View Post
                        Agent experienced this first hand and we have taken it into consideration, the idea was to try to place it on the upswing to the muffler to keep it out of harms way.
                        True, though after replacing the one I broke it hasn't happened since. I've only noticeably impacted the underside twice, and both times were within the first week after the completed swap / exhaust install (and suspension install just before that). The first was in a gas station parking lot with ridiculously undulating pavement - that one left scars on the cat too. The other was when I had no way to swerve to avoid a dead armadillo and ran over it. I got him with the skid plate first, but he bounced around under there and managed to finish off the one already weakened V-band.
                        Originally posted by kronus
                        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

I would even be interested in this if you made it work with the factory manifolds. I have no interest in ebay headers.

Comment

Originally posted by mbonder View Post
                            I'm interested as well, I'd like to have the cat and then also buy a test pipe, or something with a resonator (could work out a deal outside of this with you) as I'm in NJ and we still have emissions testing, I also don't want it to be too loud with just a test pipe, would rather have the resonator to quiet it down and keep drone in check.
                            That shouldn't be a problem once we get the jig worked out.

Originally posted by bimmerteck View Post
                            I would even be interested in this if you made it work with the factory manifolds. I have no interest in ebay headers.
                            There are plans to make a set of pipes that bolt up it to stock OBD2 headers

Comment

Yeh I'm interested. I need to sort an exhaust out for this car soon. A stock E30 exhaust is only fun for so long.
                              REMEMBER: Be safe and have fun is Rule Number 1.

The Epic Unbuild of Clint Eastwood

Comment

Working...
                              X