FEELER- anyone want a 6 speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaxBell View Post
    So the 6th gear is just like the 5th gear in the G260?
    Actually very slightly shorter.

If you want a long cruising gear, swap in a taller diff and go. Otherwise, enjoy faster acceleration and greater pep without sacrificing anything noticeable while cruising.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

320D gearbox mounting is = same as SOHC M20. its bell house is small 6 pattern

the 320 D gearbox has 6th gear like a G260 5th. its overdrive.

5th gear is 1:1 like g260 4th

1/2 gears are short and 3/4/5 pretty close.

final drive for a M20b25 stock engine + 320D 6mt is ideal @ about 3.23 for street use.
      track would be ok at 3,64+

It will directly bolt to a M20 or M50 engine.

clutch and fly needed is 330zhp or z4 non-m

transmission U brace mount needed from E60 530i; the 320D one is too wide - its cheap at your bmw dealer $38 with warranty. OR call zionsville and order the one they make for 330ZHP trans into e36 and modify it.

use 2 pieces of thick steel and extend the trans mounting position back on each side approx 3"

shop mc master car for T track threaded nuts that fit in the stock e30 trans mounting bolt location; they are cheap like $3 each.

bolt it all in and use a AKG shifter to avoid the shift carrier entirely then shorten the selector rod to fit.

e36M Auto 1997-8 driveshaft and e30 center bearing to match your chassis.

done.
      OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Same bolt-pattern as the m20 or like the m/s5x pattern?
        Last edited by mkcman17; 01-28-2014, 04:00 PM.
        1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
        1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
        1974 2002tii / stock
        2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

Originally posted by mkcman17 View Post
          Same bolt-pattern as the m20 or like the m/s5x pattern?
          Neither. Its disel 4 banger

But it bolts up to both m20 and m50/s52 with all the big bolts.

M20 is same angle as disel 4 banger m47 so it uses a few small bolts also

Dohc m50/s52 is more angled so it's wacky like a g260+m50

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

That's what I'm most interested about. Would like to hear back from OP on getting these moving
            1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
            1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
            1974 2002tii / stock
            2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

I'm interested if it fall through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

any idea of driveshaft/shift linkage needed for this setup?
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post

You should read threads before posting.
                  Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                  The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                    You should read threads before posting.
                    Thanks for the very informative post, which still hasn't answered my shifter linkage question.
                    Last edited by Northern; 02-08-2014, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the very informative post, which still hasn't answered my shifter linkage question.
                      Any 6mt in e30 requires:

Extension of original transmission mount with garagstatic extention (v8 and I6 use same set up

Shift linkage custom:

(one can body mount with AKG race and avoid shift carrier entirely

Selector rod will be custom length but that Is not too difficult.

Comment

Post 17, several above your first, brilliant post:

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                        320D gearbox mounting is = same as SOHC M20. its bell house is small 6 pattern

the 320 D gearbox has 6th gear like a G260 5th. its overdrive.

5th gear is 1:1 like g260 4th

1/2 gears are short and 3/4/5 pretty close.

final drive for a M20b25 stock engine + 320D 6mt is ideal @ about 3.23 for street use.
                        track would be ok at 3,64+

It will directly bolt to a M20 or M50 engine.

clutch and fly needed is 330zhp or z4 non-m

transmission U brace mount needed from E60 530i; the 320D one is too wide - its cheap at your bmw dealer $38 with warranty. OR call zionsville and order the one they make for 330ZHP trans into e36 and modify it.

use 2 pieces of thick steel and extend the trans mounting position back on each side approx 3"

shop mc master car for T track threaded nuts that fit in the stock e30 trans mounting bolt location; they are cheap like $3 each.

bolt it all in and use a AKG shifter to avoid the shift carrier entirely then shorten the selector rod to fit.

e36M Auto 1997-8 driveshaft and e30 center bearing to match your chassis.

done.
                        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Can you even read? He says to use an akg shifter(which is not a normal setup with a shift carrier) to avoid having to fuck around with different combinations, and I'm asking if anyone has already done enough research to find a carrier/selector combo that fits, as there is a good chance of something existing that fits.

And yeah, so what if I missed one sentence in an entire thread, get over it.

And Haoming, that's definitely a good option for fitment, but it's more than half of the cost of the transmission itself.

Comment

There's no factory shift linkage short enough. Most just cut/weld the carrier and selector rod.
                            85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                            e30 restoration and V8 swap
                            24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Can you even read? He says to use an akg shifter(which is not a normal setup with a shift carrier) to avoid having to fuck around with different combinations, and I'm asking if anyone has already done enough research to find a carrier/selector combo that fits, as there is a good chance of something existing that fits.

And yeah, so what if I missed one sentence in an entire thread, get over it.

And Haoming, that's definitely a good option for fitment, but it's more than half of the cost of the transmission itself.
                              Well..........nobody here is doing a 6mt to save money.....

Some labor can easily substitute spending 3 Benjamins on a akg Fullraze shifter. If one has to contemplate this than looking at own resources would be a proper comparison; most considering such a task of 6mt into e30 will or should have a friend with a welder; or for a few bucks you can make a friend with a welder professionally.

Plenty of ways to make a mock up shifter with items one has lying around the garage: welding can happen later when the geometry is puzzled out.

I paid more for air shipping of my 320d 6mt gearbox than the gearbox; that's the price of being bleeding edge and installing a gearbox that doesn't exist in your continent.

I didn't use a akg shifter in my own installation as it was too dear to me;
                              The Race e30 uses a stock e36m shift linkage and used X5 shift lever as it was $0. Sloppy rubber bushings are nicer on the driver as 3hrs and change a hit is about max I can handle physically at 100% brain function in our weapon.

My own installation as linked in photo sig for 327s+6mt and on YouTube

Z4 or 335i or e60 530i shift carrier + cut and weld
                              E36 or e39 or e46 selector rod (whatever I had $0 to cut up and have welded)

Any bmw 6mt gearbox is roughly 3 inches longer than the 5mt

The ZF5 and g260 are about the same length

The zf6 / g420/ e36m auto zf hp518 are about the same length

If one pulls up the driveline lengths and shift selector lengths of a e46 330i 5mt compared to the driveline and shift selector of the e46 330i 6mt you can have a good baseline for the cut. Data should be on realoem; shift carrier has the length cast into it by bmw.

Selector rod must be a curve to clear the 96mm guibo; if one installs a z4/z3 shifter with pivot point significantly extended under the ball socket the "C" curve needed to clear guibo will become a larger radius.

Mounts almost as if bmw intended to a M20. More than half the small bolts are installed with no modification needed; all the big ones directly fit also.

standard m20 rear

Slave is a close fit but with a flexible line no problem. Any 24v slave for ZF5 or zf6 or g260 is direct fit.

E46 330i zhp or z4 3.0 clutch set for 6 speed is direct fit to m20. Remember to get the flywheel and special bolts also.

Instead of making a custom "F" Trans To Mount Adapter One Can Order This OEM Part And Adapt It's Base To The E30 Stock Trans mount+Garagstatic 6mt Length Extender.

The e46 320d / e46 330zhp part is too wide for a e30 chassis. Pictured next to the 530i e60 part

Here it is on track with stock suspension stock height for shakedown.

Yes it's anti-flush.

Mounting detail

Last edited by Wanganstyle; 02-10-2014, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                                Well..........nobody here is doing a 6mt to save money.....
                                True, but if I can not spend $375+shipping/duty on a shifter, then I'd rather not. I was thinking about this for my daily to treat 6th as an "extra" O/D gear.

That post is exactly the kind of info I come into threads for, so thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X