6-speed s52 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6-speed s52 swap

I am currently running a 5 speed in my s52 swap e30. I would like another gear for highway cruising. I understand the easiest and cheapest way would be to change the differential ratio but I just want one more gear not every gear to be taller. I have heard rumors that people use multiple transmissions like e46 6 speed ZF S6-37 (325ti, 330i, 330Ci, 320d, 320Cd), ZF S6-53 (330d, 330 Cd), Getrag 420G (M3, e60 ZF S6-37 manual and many others. Is there a best 6 speed to use?

The ZF GS6-37BZ. But you need to make a new transmission bracket, shifter carrier, drive shaft. It will need a new flywheel and clutch.

Comment

clutch pressure plate, mebbie. Any M5x 6 speed will work, but yeah, the details of the shifter and driveshaft will change.

t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Is the ZF GS6-37BZ better than the S6S-420G? I've heard most zf's hold more power than getrag's but is this true?

Just in general should I be looking for the zf series over the others?

As always I thank the hive mind of knowledge for researching my car. It is the most amazing machine I could ask for.

Comment

Getrag doesn't supply any spare parts for the 420G, so at this age many of them have problems.
          But the SMG from the E46 can be converted to the 420G.

Shop around, check what is available.

Jordan wrote a few tips https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...m54-swap-guide
          Last edited by Vincenze; 11-01-2021, 10:33 AM.

Comment

the GS6-53BZ requires more work and a custom flywheel (see ba114 's thread).
            I'd only consider it if you make bare minimum 500whp, otherwise the GS6-37BZ will be far easier/cheaper/lighter.
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Working...
            X