Does my setup need a tune?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does my setup need a tune?

Hi all, I'm pretty sure my setup needs a tuning chip, just wanted to pop in here and get your guys' opinions.

1989 325iA, OBD1 converted S52, pink top injectors, M50 manifold, stock red label DME, 3.5" intake, 3.5" MAF (540 or 740, don't remember).
    As I'm writing this, I'm remembering I've got an OBD2 throttle body on the car. I don't know if that could be the cause of the issues I'm seeing. I've got a rusty M50 TB, can I just swap the sensors between the different throttle bodies?

With the MAF plugged in, car doesn't start.
    Plugging the MAF in once started, the car will idle but not rev.
    With the MAF unplugged, the car idles, but has considerable rev hang in neutral, and stutters a lot under partial throttle when driving around. WOT is okay.

Yes you need a tune, 3.5" maf probably wont be to much of a gain with a stock motor.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

You need a chip that matches the MAF and injectors, you are making it go haywire with all the values all over the place. The injectors are dumping 19% more fuel, so it's trying to lean it out, then you have a much larger MAF, so it's trying to add fuel, rinse and repeat.

The stock injectors and MAF are fine for the power level 99% of these engines are making. The green injectors and stock MAF run out about 240-250whp.
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
      X