Been away for a LONG time, getting back in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been away for a LONG time, getting back in

Hey all, been away from the E30 scene for 15 years. I’ll need to update my username as this one is a coupe.

Anyway, really nicely swapped M50 with an E36 Getrag 280 and E28 M5 diff. Guy replaced every sensor and gasket prior to swapping. H&R race with Bilsteins. All bushings are new.

It has a red tag Bosch but no tune at this point.

The short gearing is a good match to power at this point.

My goal is to not go nuts on power and enjoy more of a momentum car.

The M50 could benefit from M3 cams, a chip, and it has a set of M3 headers (not currently installed).

2 questions.

1. Is there a significant upgrade to moving to a fuel computer (MS3 or similar) over a chip with the red tag.
    2. Has anyone figured out a reliable ITB setup (I am interested in the great throttle response and some top end of it is not too big of a mid range killer) on these engines?

I have read a bunch on the M50, but seems a lot of the info is now outdated
    Last edited by WhiteE30ic; 09-24-2023, 09:07 AM.

man that's nice. unfortunately i've nothing to help.

Comment

RHD sells ITB kits. I believe there is another company(s) that make a conversion kit so you can run the ITBs off the S54.

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...430-my-88-seta

Comment

Individual Throttle Body Intake Kit for BMW M50, M52, S50US & S52.  Includes Carbon Fibre Plenum.  Fits BMW E34, E36, E46, Z3 Experience a glorious induction sound like no other, with the improved performance and throttle response to match.  Instant throttle response. Increased power over entire rev-range, especial

BMW M50 AND M52 6 CYLINDER ITB KIT ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS THIS KIT IS DESIGNED TO WORK WITH THE STANDARD ECU DOWNLOAD PDF Notes: Thank you for choosing an RHD product. All RHD parts and products are designed for performance and racing purposes, what you do with your vehicle is your responsibility and no liability will be taken by RHD Engineering Continue Reading

With the RRD S54 ITB to M50/M52/S50/S52 Adapter Kit, you can now properly add the S54 ITB and Airbox induction system to your M50/M52/S50/S52 based engine.  We have given you the option to buy the adapter kit if you already own a set of S54 Individual Throttle Bodies. If you need one, we have limited stock. The full ad

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...430-my-88-seta

Comment

Welcome back!

If you're interested in learning to tune, a standalone ECU is a lot of fun.
          It gives you full control of the engine and will let you maximize power gains.
          You can tune the ECU live or datalog and tune when stopped.

I'd recommend something that supports the knock sensors. Nice safety net when you're learning to tune (or if you get a bad tank of gas).

You'll also have modes like Alpha-N available to tune in the ITBs.

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
            Welcome back!

If you're interested in learning to tune, a standalone ECU is a lot of fun.
            It gives you full control of the engine and will let you maximize power gains.
            You can tune the ECU live or datalog and tune when stopped.

I'd recommend something that supports the knock sensors. Nice safety net when you're learning to tune (or if you get a bad tank of gas).

You'll also have modes like Alpha-N available to tune in the ITBs.
            Thanks for that! I used a MS3 with my turbo miata about 18 years back, at that time a wideband O2 and autotune worked pretty well. Is that still a good ECU option?

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteE30ic View Post

Thanks for that! I used a MS3 with my turbo miata about 18 years back, at that time a wideband O2 and autotune worked pretty well. Is that still a good ECU option?
              I have an MS3X in my M52B28 swap. Added mods to the base ECU to get dual knock sensors and dual map sensors for baro compensation.

It does everything I want, but there are better/more modern options out there from other manufacturers now.

Comment

Working...
              X