Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Euro headers, left hand vs right hand drive - any different?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
    More photos of your headers would be appreciated, especially showing the area where they pass over the subframe. Also the firewall. Two of us have them in the mail now. Me, Mikee30.
    I don't have any pics of them installed. It's easy to figure out where you need to modify things though. Just test fit them and you will see that the number 6 runner will hit the firewall. Smack the firewall where it was contacting the header with a dead blow hammer and retest fitment. It'll seriously only take seconds to do.
    The subframe is the same concept, but just takes longer to do because it's a lot stronger than the firewall. I used a mapp gas torch to heat that area until it was glowing red and hammered away with my ball peen hammer. Keep the area as hot as you can. I re-torched it until it was red after every few hits. It'll take a while, but keep at it.
    I'll try to remember to snap a quick picture of my subframe next time I'm at work.

You could save yourself some time if you just wanted to cut the notch out and reweld a piece to cover the hole you cut. I have a buddy here who also has an s50b32 in his m3, and that's how his subframe was done.

Also, if you use spacers on your motor mounts to lift your motor up, you'll need to clearance the subframe less.

Erik

Comment

Originally posted by erik325i View Post
      I don't have any pics of them installed. It's easy to figure out where you need to modify things though. Just test fit them and you will see that the number 6 runner will hit the firewall. Smack the firewall where it was contacting the header with a dead blow hammer and retest fitment. It'll seriously only take seconds to do.
      The subframe is the same concept, but just takes longer to do because it's a lot stronger than the firewall. I used a mapp gas torch to heat that area until it was glowing red and hammered away with my ball peen hammer. Keep the area as hot as you can. I re-torched it until it was red after every few hits. It'll take a while, but keep at it.
      I'll try to remember to snap a quick picture of my subframe next time I'm at work.

You could save yourself some time if you just wanted to cut the notch out and reweld a piece to cover the hole you cut. I have a buddy here who also has an s50b32 in his m3, and that's how his subframe was done.

Also, if you use spacers on your motor mounts to lift your motor up, you'll need to clearance the subframe less.

Erik
      That's all good advice and I will end up doing all of it. The point is that I'd like to be a prepared as I can... if I can avoid remodeling the firewall by Tig'ing the #6 runner ahead of time, I'll do that. Same with the subframe, I'd rather notch one out and swap it ahead of time so that the actual header install goes smoother.

I'd also like to see where the collector merges sit in relation to everything because I will add O2 sensor bungs and probably V band clamps to tie to the rest of the exhaust section.

Plus, pictures of headers are just cool. Take a bunch next time you have a chance.

Comment

if I can avoid remodeling the firewall by Tig'ing the #6 runner ahead of time, I'll do that. Same with the subframe,
        It would not make sense to modify the #6 runner to clear the firewall. It seriously only takes one or two hits to make room. You'll never notice it from the inside either.

If you want to modify the header to clear the subframe, I can understand that.
        I'll take some pics of my setup tomorrow if my car's still on the lift.

Erik

Comment

hope you get a chance to get those pics. In the meantime i'll add my own. A little dirty but oh well, better than not having them :)

Comment

Originally posted by MIKe30 View Post
            hope you get a chance to get those pics. In the meantime i'll add my own. A little dirty but oh well, better than not having them :)

Fuck yeah! Now you will have proper headers for that beastly motor you're building! Can't wait to see the numbers Mike! :woowoo:
            Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

get dem bitches blasted and coated ASAP!!! Mmmm titties!!!

Comment

hope you get a chance to get those pics.
                The pics aren't great, but I took a few to give you guys an idea. It was tricky getting the right lighting with the flashlight without too much glare while using my phone as a camera...
                on to the pics:

It looks like I only have a millimeter of clearance, but I'm running solid aluminum motor mounts, so they don't move. You'd want to give yourself some extra clearance.

Erik

Comment

Those are really useful, it shows that the merge is right at the subframe so it's not like I can put a V band at the end of the merge and re-route the downstream pipe. What about the swaybar?

How close is the other side to the CAB?

It also shows that the #6 does what it does because of the shock tower.

Comment

Those are really useful, it shows that the merge is right at the subframe so it's not like I can put a V band at the end of the merge and re-route the downstream pipe. What about the swaybar?

How close is the other side to the CAB?

It also shows that the #6 does what it does because of the shock tower.
                    The swaybar is still on my to-do list. Regarding the control arm bushing clearance, you must use the THR eyeball arms, or they won't fit. I forgot to take a picture of that, but there is very little clearance between the CAB and the header.

Erik

Comment

Originally posted by erik325i View Post
                      Regarding the control arm bushing clearance, you must use the THR eyeball arms, or they won't fit. I forgot to take a picture of that, but there is very little clearance between the CAB and the header.

Erik
                      I refuse to use those....

Is the clearance to the CAB at the merge or after... sorry to ask, but can you get a picture of that?

Thanks!

Comment

Is the clearance to the CAB at the merge or after... sorry to ask, but can you get a picture of that?

Thanks!
                        I'm pretty sure it's after the merge, so you should be able to reroute the pipe. I will double check today or tomorrow.

Erik

Comment

Originally posted by e30polak View Post
                          Fuck yeah! Now you will have proper headers for that beastly motor you're building! Can't wait to see the numbers Mike! :woowoo:
                          Cant wait to just get it in the damn car. FML. bout to pay somebody to get it done for me. As much as I love it, actually getting tired of riding the fucking bike..
                          why? mine just came in the mail today...

Comment

bout to pay somebody to get it done for me.
                            Hit me up mike, You get it to my house I will get it done for you.
                            ;)

Comment

Originally posted by e30this View Post
                              Hit me up mike, You get it to my house I will get it done for you.
                              ;)
                              it'd be almost as much work getting it to your house. I even have 3 or 4 guys here who are serious about helping me as soon as all my parts are in... its just bah. idk, this is taking too long and costing way too much. thinking about selling my bike... anybody have an interest in an 06 honda cbr 600rr <7k miles??

Comment

Cant wait to just get it in the damn car. FML. bout to pay somebody to get it done for me. As much as I love it, actually getting tired of riding the fucking bike..
                                I hear ya, mine was out of commission for a year! Broke college student working it off. :down:

Can't wait to se footage! :woowoo:
                                Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Working...
                                X