MAZUR's E30 S50 Turbo Build

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • mazur
    replied
    Originally posted by bimmer_E30
    Are you an Engineer by chanse? This is crazy, keep it up!
    I'm going to school for mechanical engineering.

    Originally posted by E30_pilot

    Would you happen to have the wiring spreadsheet or anything you used for wiring up the aem ems?
    The wiring pin-out cost me, so I don't feel good about giving it up for free.



    Progress has been a little stressing. I appear to be getting some knock at upper RPM's with what is considered to be conservative timing at only 8psi. So far it has cost me two headgaskets

    My friend's and I have been trying to track down the problem and I'm beginning to think the AEM box is the core source of the problem, but I am not 100% sure yet. I'll be sending my EMS to AEM to have it checked out and hopefully the things I at least know are wrong with it are repairable. I just need to find a good time to do it since my E30 is my main mode of transportation.


    Don't worry, though, I have not forgotten about this thread, I just haven't done much worth posting. I'm pretty busy throughout the week, and when I do have some spare time I'm usually too lazy to spend it on my car, especially since any work that I do must be done by the end of that day.

    My goal for the car is to get it track ready. Until I feel like I've done what needs to be done, I will not be visiting the dyno.

    I also have several other side projects that I'm doing, one of which includes a BBK setup with dual master cylinders, for which I'm hoping to begin CNC'ing the parts for pretty soon. It's one of the things on my to-do list for track preparation.

    A lot of shit going on, but keeps me from being bored! :pimp:

    Leave a comment:


  • Be30mer
    replied
    Please dont let your friend drive this one. It would be like killing a unicorn, or slapping God in the face.

    Leave a comment:


  • E30_pilot
    replied
    Sweet build!

    Would you happen to have the wiring spreadsheet or anything you used for wiring up the aem ems?

    Leave a comment:


  • Danny
    replied
    Originally posted by bimmer_E30
    Are you an Engineer by chanse? This is crazy, keep it up!
    Quoted for fail.

    Leave a comment:


  • bimmer_E30
    replied
    Are you an Engineer by chanse? This is crazy, keep it up!

    Leave a comment:


  • e30polak
    replied
    How's the tuning coming along bro?

    Any dyno graphs yet? :twisted:

    Collecting parts for my turbo set-up right now, I need more inspiration! :hitler:

    Leave a comment:


  • tonytony
    replied
    wow good build thread man, I read to whole thing haha. I'd like to turbo my m50 someday

    Leave a comment:


  • mazur
    replied
    Originally posted by e30 335i
    hey nice build mazur, the only thing i disagree with is the use of shell oil. Its absolute rubbush manufactored from group 1 base oil(sludge), Might pay to run something better through such a good build.
    Just my
    I used to use Mobil 1 for several years and have been using Amsoil for the past couple of years.

    No sludge here. I tried out one of Amsoil's specially formulated oils that supposedly had extra detergents to remove any sludge in your engine. My friend sold me on it saying his oil came out black for the first two changes and then finally cleaned up on the third...Well, I poured the red oil into my engine, and after 8,000 miles it came out red as well, lol.



    Originally posted by Kuhchow
    sick build! x2 on the vids......and btw do you have any problem tellin us exactly how much you spent on this whole turbo build??

    At my completion point, I had spent just over $5200 (still includes oil cooler setup which is not installed yet). I also used my spread sheet to determine how much money I have saved by waiting for deals to come around and making my own manifold, which came out to over $3k. $2k of which I save on just my standalone and manifold.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kuhchow
    replied
    sick build! x2 on the vids......and btw do you have any problem tellin us exactly how much you spent on this whole turbo build??

    Leave a comment:


  • FredK
    replied
    He meant Shell gasoline.

    Leave a comment:


  • e30 335i
    replied
    hey nice build mazur, the only thing i disagree with is the use of shell oil. Its absolute rubbush manufactored from group 1 base oil(sludge), Might pay to run something better through such a good build.
    Just my

    Leave a comment:


  • mazur
    replied
    Originally posted by e30s52
    That manifold looks great! Do you go to any of the meets? I want to see your car.
    If I go, I only go to the Evo Motorsports meet.

    Leave a comment:


  • e30s52
    replied
    That manifold looks great! Do you go to any of the meets? I want to see your car.

    Leave a comment:


  • mazur
    replied
    UPDATE:

    Several weeks ago my car developed a strange overheating problem. After boosting through a gear or two my car's temp gauge would steadily begin to rise. Once it would hit the 3/4 mark I would turn it off, coast for maybe ten seconds, turn the car back on and the temp would suddenly drop back to normal.

    It would also do this when the engine was cold when taken for a drive. No boosting involved. Just slowly cruising and the temp would just keep rising until I did my shut off/turn back on procedure. Also, while this was happening, my aftermarket temp gauge would read cold (sensor placed at thermostat housing on opposite side of thermostat).

    Well, after having coolant consumption and the coolant smelling like exhaust, it was decided I was leaking combustion into the coolant. The picture below shows the signs of where the combustion was leaking. Exhaust side on cyls. 3-6. The MLS itself looked fine...and looked even better in my trash can :) I am going back to the stock headgasket and will check the head for warpage.



    When taking my head off I noticed I had a fair amount of oil residue in my intake ports. After a short investigation I realized my valve seals were leaking. I think I have less than 80k on the engine...is it normal for the seals to go bad that soon?

    Anyways, bought new seals, so I made this simple tool to remove my valves.


    As a note to everyone, USE CHEVRON (or Shell ;) ). Just look how clean my intake valves and ports are after so many miles. SPOTLESS!





    And here are some pics of the head with my mani still attached.


    Leave a comment:


  • deutschman
    replied
    dammmmm this is a fate build. very nice fab skills. i want to do a turbo build so bad. i don't even necessarily need to own the turbo. i just want to take part in the build.

    Leave a comment:

Working...