Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you interested in doing a 24v swap? Read this!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have done it to my own swap, I figured it out when i bought a e34 pump and noticed that the parts were close, if not, identical for both pumps. So i saved my self the unnecessary hassle and just switched over the oil pick up and sold the pump from the e34. I've have my swap for 4 years now and my motor hasn't siezed up yet so it's safe to say it works

here are the part numbers:
    e36 11411740154
    e34 11411740155
    Last edited by tonytony; 09-22-2009, 03:27 PM.

Comment

OP, the image in the first post is broken.

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
        OP, the image in the first post is broken.

My server has been down since about 2pm today. No ETTR yet, but previous outages have been less then 12 hours, so I'd expect it to be up by tomorrow.
        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
        e30 restoration and V8 swap
        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Thanks. Starting to read :)

Comment

Originally posted by tonytony View Post
            just do add: You dont need to replace the 36 oil pump with the e34 oil pump if you're doing an m50 swap, the pumps are the same part, you just need the oil pickup tube. It makes life a whole lot easier and saves you money
            Originally posted by JRKOUPE View Post
            are you EXCLUDING S50s? I had NEVER heard this....can we get confirmation on this?....
            S50 is the same pump, you only need to swap the pickup. Order a new pickup gasket from the dealer and use locktite on the 2 pickup bolts.

Also as a side note, my oil pan had a built in windage tray, and the S50 has a bolt in windage tray. You cannot have both. Also you need to remove the S50 tray to remove/cut off the original oil pick up bracket.

Oh yes, damn one more hint. Carefully remove the locknut from the pump gear, being careful not to knock the gear loose. Clean the nut and clean the threads, add locktite to the nut and reinstall. Reverse threads.

C/ya

Comment

I read through the wikipedia page and have questions about exactly which mounts work best. In the reading I have done around here and other forums, it looks like you can use the following:

11-81-1-132-793 (green)

11-81-1-175-735 (black)

11-81-2-225-201 (m5)

AKG custom hybrid mounts

Some kind of poly mounts?

I also keep reading about some guys using shims, others don't. What determines the need for shims? Is it the mount? The brake booster? Something else? Which mounts would best suit a weekend warrior?

Also, it seems like the use of shims would change the tranny angle, and thus a pre-fabbed tranny crossmember bracket would also have to be shimmed? Is this correct?
              Last edited by E turd; 11-03-2009, 09:02 PM. Reason: added content

Comment

Shims depend on whether or not your intake manifold hits your booster. Usually only shimming 1/4 inch. Rubber tranny mounts will usually be fine with that much shim. I have used the black 735 mounts I believe for the last 2 swaps without any problems. Some people who track their cars have problems with them tearing. If that is the case you want to look at akg's mounts or solid mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaz View Post
                  I'm still trying to find out who admin's the wiki page so i can help clean it up.

If you know who does let me know so we can get it all sorted out.

-Cam
                  I run the site. Shoot me a message if you're interested in cleaning it up.
                  E30 Wiki: e30dohc.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by E turd View Post

I also keep reading about some guys using shims, others don't. What determines the need for shims? Is it the mount? The brake booster? Something else? Which mounts would best suit a weekend warrior?
                    All kinds of things. My motor swap has been fine for 20k miles and 12 months, then all of a sudden my headers started rattling against my subframe. So I shimmed the motor another 1/8" or so on the passenger side to clear that (thinking the mount had just settled and I needed some addiitional height). Well now the intake manifold vibrates hard against the booster in reverse. This motor BARELY fits, in several places it's within 1/4" or so of clearance. With a 20 year old chassis, things bend/flex/move, and you need to shim each one differently.

Comment

should the fuel pump be replaced for my m50 e30 swap???

BIG BIG question i havn't seen asked or answered
                      95' e36 325i manual 102k - dead and parted
                      87' e30 325i manual m50 102k - alive again
                      89' e30 325i coupe manual 162k - acquired june. 2009
                      sold dec. 2009
                      88' e30 325ix coupe manual 182k

" Everything happens in series of three "
                      e30 all day

Comment

No. Stock is fine. It has been mentioned in the other sticky a couple times.

Comment

Yeah, this thread is doomed. I thought it would be possible to keep it to 1 page without random, repetitive questions that will turn it into a 50 page clusterfuck. oh well.

Comment

Just keep editing the first post with the information as needed, that way there is no searching needed, just good quailty in the first post.

Comment

AKG offers 2 versions. E28 mounts and their Group N mounts. E28 mounts are still urethane and can survive track use?

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                                Yeah, this thread is doomed. I thought it would be possible to keep it to 1 page without random, repetitive questions that will turn it into a 50 page clusterfuck. oh well.
                                Ask a mod to come in here and clean it up.
                                Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                                Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                                One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Working...
                                X