Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to expect from HFM, injectors, chip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to expect from HFM, injectors, chip?

I've been searching and shopping the common 540 hfm/injectors/chip upgrade, but have not read much in the way of peoples' results. What are your experiences? Worth the dough?

Any reason to do 24#s on my S50? I'm inclined to do the 21.5#s
    Whats your opinion on the "best" chip?

I'll most likely go with the 3.5" hfm, 21.5# injectors, bimmerworld elbow, and TRM chip.

Thanks
    S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
    What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
    Originally posted by slammin.e28
    I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

I've had both Dinan and Turner (TMS) and have a TRM on the way. The Turner was waaay better. I actually felt the difference with the Turner. I have not used the 540 HFM yet, but will have it when I test the TRM chip.
    (oo=[][]=oo)
    Web Design PNW

Comment

I'll most likely go with the 3.5" hfm, 21.5# injectors, bimmerworld elbow, and TRM chip.

Thats what I use w/ fan delete and ltw flywheel. It is a great setup no need for 24lb as you wont utilize them.

Comment

i just got the bimmerworld elbow...VERY tight fit.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pull_Addict View Post
          i just got the bimmerworld elbow...VERY tight fit.
          I'm sure it isn't as tight as the stock elbow on the 3.5" MAF ;).

Comment

Originally posted by rThor432 View Post
            I'm sure it isn't as tight as the stock elbow on the 3.5" MAF ;).
            very true.

where the hoses go on the elbow they pretty much hit MC. just have to make it work. i dont even know if it was worth the 100 bucks or whatever it was.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pull_Addict View Post
              very true.

where the hoses go on the elbow they pretty much hit MC.
              Could you take a pic of this for me?
              thanks
              S50'd

Comment

Just do it all at once. Set of shricks, HFM, Injectors, Tune.

Voila.
                Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
                Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
                Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

yes, that is the plan minus the shricks. Your response didn't really answer any questions, but thanks.
                  S50'd

Comment

It will be a noticable difference. I drove my buddy's swap that is stock, vs. mine with the goodies you mentioned, and his car has less midrange and top end.

For daily driving it may not be THAT big of a difference, but it does make a considerable difference in straight line performance!

Here's a decent deal on a 540 MAF from a reputable seller on BFC:
                    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1402172

If you want 24# injectors, look on the Mustang forums. I'd say only do these if you plan on cams. I used to have the TMS chip on my swap with the listed mods, and it ran pretty rich up top with the 24# tune. I wasn't actually all that impressed with their chip. My RMS dyno tune is leaps and bounds better the the TMS chip.

I got 8 refurbished 24# injectors for $100, and sold my stock for $110. It was definitely worth it for me! :p
                    Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

No need to spend the money on the bimmerworld elbow, when you can buy a $12 90 degree silicon reducer from siliconeintakes.com or something. That's what I did.

Comment

silicone intakes > * All it takes is some glue, patience and a stock boot and you're set.

As for the 540 MAF, that's the least of the S50's intake problems if you ask me. When I get sick of the stock intake system and actually have cams to make use of a better intake system, I'm going to just go ITB.
                        1987 BMW 325is | Frankenmotor S50 | Supersprint Replica Headers | K&N Intake | Gutted Stock Midpipe | Zimmermann Rotors | Stainless Brake Lines | Porterfield Racing Pads

Comment

I'd love to see some dyno data that shows what the 3 1/2 MAF does compared to the 3" MAF. I'm skeptical that the bigger MAF can do more than a few HP on anything less than a motor with huge cams.

Comment

Osh at RMS says that it doens't do that much. I bought it bc I needed an OBD1 MAF and a tune. I paid $50 at the junk yard for my MAF, and I don't add cost for the tune.

Lof, if you were to just get a chip it would probably be nearly the same gains. However, if you plan on getting cams later, then you may just want the MAF and 24# injectors right now. If you go through TMS, they offer a $100 upgrade for the cam tune, so it's pretty worth while. Especially since you can just get your s50 cams reground to Schrick specs for $250-300 and come out with a nice increase in performance.
                            Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
                              I'd love to see some dyno data that shows what the 3 1/2 MAF does compared to the 3" MAF. I'm skeptical that the bigger MAF can do more than a few HP on anything less than a motor with huge cams.
                              Really all that the MAF and injector combo does is allow a richer mixture in the mid to high range that allows for a mildly more aggressive ignition map.

There isn't really a big gain to be made there, because the cam isn't aggressive enough to draw more air really, and the fuel isn't high enough octane in this country to make a more aggressive ignition map feasible.

With higher octane fuel, or ionic sensing ignition, there would still be significant gains to be made.
                              1987 BMW 325is | Frankenmotor S50 | Supersprint Replica Headers | K&N Intake | Gutted Stock Midpipe | Zimmermann Rotors | Stainless Brake Lines | Porterfield Racing Pads

Comment

Working...
                              X