Who has deleted their TB heater hoses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has deleted their TB heater hoses?

I have come to the point where I need to decide what I'm going to do about the coolant temp sender.

My engine came with the TB heater hoses deleted already so it would be very easy for me to shave down the coolant temp sender and rethread it to fit into the same hole as was used for the TB heater. This way I wouldn't have to drill out the head, or bother getting hoses to got to the TB.

That said I live in a cooler climate and throttlebody icing conditions would probably exist in the fall and spring.

So those who have deleted their TB heaters have you noticed any problems?

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Uping this, also interested.

Comment

Geez... I haven't had TB heat in years. No problems during the winters of Maryland nor in Seattle.

If conditions are perfect you may get ice build-up but I haven't seen it.

Comment

Thanks hoveringuy that's exactly what I wanted to hear. You are in almost the same climate as me so if you're not having problems with it then I most likely won't either.

Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian_Visser View Post
          Thanks hoveringuy that's exactly what I wanted to hear. You are in almost the same climate as me so if you're not having problems with it then I most likely won't either.

Adrian
          he is lying, trying to mess you up.

His has satellite communication directly with the NOAA and measures atmospheric conditions and calculates barometric pressures and temperatures, then determines precise coolant mixtures AND flow, then adjusts his thermostat and radiator to create perfectly flawless operating temperatures at all times.

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I have had carb icing conditions in the aviation world, they often consist of nothing more than a stumble of the engine when the throttle changes. They only happen after long periods of constant lower throttle, like cruise on the interstate due to the venturi effect the throttle plate makes. When you do a throttle change to pass the change in flow will dislodge what little ice can form. On the other hand, when you close throttle there is a possibility the throttle may stick open from ice and wedge open.

That being said, it may have little to nothing to do with how icing occurs on the throttle body in a car. I have always been under the assumption that the coolant lines on the throttle body are to help the car get to temp faster on cold days for emissions. Also, most airplanes get air directly from the outside, at high altitudes and low temps, a cars throttle body usually sucks air in from the engine bay, getting most of its air that has already been heated by the radiator.

Hope that helps.
            -Dan
            -Dan

Comment

Originally posted by bejbis View Post
              I have had carb icing conditions in the aviation world, they often consist of nothing more than a stumble of the engine when the throttle changes. They only happen after long periods of constant lower throttle, like cruise on the interstate due to the venturi effect the throttle plate makes. When you do a throttle change to pass the change in flow will dislodge what little ice can form. On the other hand, when you close throttle there is a possibility the throttle may stick open from ice and wedge open.

That being said, it may have little to nothing to do with how icing occurs on the throttle body in a car. I have always been under the assumption that the coolant lines on the throttle body are to help the car get to temp faster on cold days for emissions. Also, most airplanes get air directly from the outside, at high altitudes and low temps, a cars throttle body usually sucks air in from the engine bay, getting most of its air that has already been heated by the radiator.

Hope that helps.
              -Dan
              Well I would hope that my swap won't be sucking hot air from the engine bay lol . I wasn't even thinking of the emissions part of why the engineers would put TB heat on there, I was thinking of Carb icing or in this case TB icing.

Nice R-22 in your sig btw you have a private helicopter pilot's license or something?

Comment

Well I would hope that my swap won't be sucking hot air from the engine bay lol . I wasn't even thinking of the emissions part of why the engineers would put TB heat on there, I was thinking of Carb icing or in this case TB icing.

Nice R-22 in your sig btw you have a private helicopter pilot's license or something?
                Yep, Im a flight instructor in helicopters.
                -Dan

Comment

Yep, Im a flight instructor in helicopters. And in thinking a bit more, I really doubt you will get any throttle body icing without the lines hooked up to them.
                  -Dan

Comment

Cool I'm going to give it a shot leaving it all deleted then, makes installing the coolant temp sender easy too. I wrench on choppers that's why I asked if you were in the industry, the rotary wing world is a small world.

Comment

I did exactly what you said, removed nipple that went to Tbody hose, rethreaded e30 temp sender, been working perfectly. I didn't drive my car in the winter but I've deleted Tbody heater circuits on a couple other cars without a hiccup.

Comment

In theory it is also better for all the air getting into the engine to be as cool as possible so this mod should eliminate that extra heat around the TB, thus cooling air flow. Though I don't think that there will be much of a difference, if any, but it does make sense.

Comment

You guys are aware that it shuts off when it warms up right?
                          1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by SamE30e View Post
                            You guys are aware that it shuts off when it warms up right?
                            Yes, if you keep the airbox thermostat.

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion View Post
                              In theory it is also better for all the air getting into the engine to be as cool as possible so this mod should eliminate that extra heat around the TB, thus cooling air flow. Though I don't think that there will be much of a difference, if any, but it does make sense.
                              no it won't, it will make zero performance difference

you'd have to increase temps a lot to see even a small decrease in air density, but the surface area of the TB is so small and the speed of the air is high enough that it doesn't make any difference.

IMO this is in the same category as all the other ricer shit people here do, but whatever floats your boat..
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X