Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone rocking a remote oil cooler t-stat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So yesterday's track day went okay.

Saw temps of about 260 with Castrol 10w40...didn't want to push it too hard so temps stayed below that for the rest of the day.

It was stupid hot yesterday though so I can't blame the motor oil for getting that hot.
    IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by e30guydownunder View Post
      Not to clutter this thread too much. Check my build thred, about post #30.

Benefits of an M30 Oil Filter Housing:

1) It is a factory developed housing with take off ports for an oil cooler and has a thermostat (provided the car was optioned with the oil cooler, like any M20).

2) I got mine and the oil cooler for nothing (parts car)

3) Remote mounted making room for all sorts of things I'm modding on that side of the engine. Increased Oil Capacity yadda yadda.

It also has the all important check valve stopping all the oil from draining out of the inlet side of the head.

Back to your thread about oil temps :) feel free to ask any questions in my build thread.
      Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately I don't think I could use this because I have an m50 in there and there's not much room for it.

I ended up picking up one of these remote oil t-stats:

Comment

I run 10W60 Valvoline.
        Gauge has been installed a couple months.

Regular driving = 90°C /194°F
        Hot day and/or higher revving = 100°-105° / 212-220°F
        Haven't been above that, will be tracking soon. Water heats up about twice as fast as oil.

Also installed a pressure gauge.
        Morning startup idle = 2 bar / 29psi
        Driving with the oil still cold = 2-3bar 29-44psi
        Idle with operating temps = ~1.5bar / 22psi
        Harder driving = 3.5bar / 51psi

Havent been above 4bar / 58psi I think. I have a 10bar / 145psi gauge, because it was offered to me with the other ones, but I'd recommend the 5bar / 72psi version, doubt it would ever go over 5.
        I think the pressure values indicate a motor in pretty damn good condition, considering it has god-knows-how-many km's. This is M50B25nv.
        Last edited by Fusion; 07-20-2010, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion View Post
          I run 10W60 Valvoline.

Regular driving = 90°C
          Hot day and/or higher revving = 100°-105°
          Haven't been above that, will be tracking soon. Water heats up about twice as fast as oil.

Morning startup idle = 2 bar
          Driving with the oil still cold = 2-3bar
          Idle with operating temps = ~1.5bar
          Harder driving = 3.5bar
          Havent been above 4bar I think. I have a 10bar gauge, because it was offered to me with the other ones, but I'd recommend the 5bar version (or psi equivalent), doubt it would ever go over 5.
          I think the pressure values indicate a motor in pretty damn good condition, considering it has god-knows-how-many km's. This is M50B25nv.
          Wow good info there. Thanks a lot man!

Comment

Update: coldest day since installation, 20°C/68°F
            First startup idle = 3bar / 44psi
            Driving up to 3500rpm = 4-4.5 bar / 58-65psi
            Engine warmed and pressure settled down to about 2bar / 29psi

Added PSI's to posts

Comment

Update: coldest day since installation, 20°C/68°F
              First startup idle = 3bar / 44psi
              Driving up to 3500rpm = 4-4.5 bar / 58-65psi
              Engine warmed and pressure settled down to about 2bar / 29psi

Added PSI's to posts
              Wow thank you very much, I was cool with the metric units but probably better to have both since other people are going to be checking this thread out.

I haven't installed the remote t-stat yet, might give it a shot next weekend. Gotta get my car back up and running this weekend.

Comment

No prob.
                Would like to hear from someone who knows these engines well, what the status of the engine is with these numbers, cause it's almost impossible to find info on that anywhere. Though I do think that if the startup pressure was like 1bar, we could be talking about bad piston rings (if a leak was ruled out).
                It's great having engine info right in front of your face.

Comment

I see pretty similar #s to you with M1 15w50. just curious, where did you stick your temp probe?
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

No prob.
                    Would like to hear from someone who knows these engines well, what the status of the engine is with these numbers, cause it's almost impossible to find info on that anywhere. Though I do think that if the startup pressure was like 1bar, we could be talking about bad piston rings (if a leak was ruled out).
                    It's great having engine info right in front of your face.
                    I will post my temps as soon as I start driving the car again. My pressure gauge is reading incorrectly at the moment as well so as soon as thats sorted I'll make sure to post that as well.

Off the top of my head though:

Temp on a hot day rev's around 3.5k - 190F/88C - 220F/105C

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    I see pretty similar #s to you with M1 15w50. just curious, where did you stick your temp probe?

Comment

The oil filter housing bottom thing had 2 holes facing the back of the car, a plugged one and the stock pressure light switch. I decided to keep the pressure light so I bought a Y piece for OEM light + VDO pressure sensor and the VDO oil temp sensor went into the "blank" hole.

Comment

does your VDO pressure sender have it's own dummy light terminal? that's what I used.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

i have the same T-stat as the OP, a 180*F one, the oil cooler is about 12inches wide by 7high and 2.25 wide. I bolted it under the hood hinge tube so it hangs right behind the kidneys and looks like sex. -8AN fittings (1/2" tubes) keeps oil flowing freely, the tstat is mounted to the inside of the valence with an aluminum L-bracket.

I'm using the IE oil cap and ebay electric mookeeh (i think they are called) gauges. They are working fine for me. Total oil cooler setup probably around $450 - DIY'd.
                          I run 10W60 Valvoline.

Regular driving = 90°C /194°F
                          Hot day and/or higher revving = 100°-105° / 212-220°F

Morning startup idle = 2 bar / 29psi
                          Driving with the oil still cold = 2-3bar 29-44psi
                          Idle with operating temps = ~1.5bar / 22psi
                          Harder driving = 3.5bar / 51psi

Havent been above 4bar / 58psi I think. I have a 10bar / 145psi gauge, because it was offered to me with the other ones, but I'd recommend the 5bar / 72psi version, doubt it would ever go over 5.
                          20w50.
                          40psig on startup
                          ~80psig nearing 3K if i drive with it cold.
                          Idle at like 8psig.

At the track, hottest ive seen is 22x*F, and this is drifting on a hot (~95*F) day, low gears, high rpm for long periods of time. With the AL radiator i came to realize my car will never overheat short of my "3600CFM" 16" dying.
                          No more e30s for me.
                          88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                          88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                          91 BMW 325i [sold]
                          86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                          http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
                            i have the same T-stat as the OP, a 180*F one, the oil cooler is about 12inches wide by 7high and 2.25 wide. I bolted it under the hood hinge tube so it hangs right behind the kidneys and looks like sex. -8AN fittings (1/2" tubes) keeps oil flowing freely, the tstat is mounted to the inside of the valence with an aluminum L-bracket.

I'm using the IE oil cap and ebay electric mookeeh (i think they are called) gauges. They are working fine for me. Total oil cooler setup probably around $450 - DIY'd.

20w50.
                            40psig on startup
                            ~80psig nearing 3K if i drive with it cold.
                            Idle at like 8psig.

At the track, hottest ive seen is 22x*F, and this is drifting on a hot (~95*F) day, low gears, high rpm for long periods of time. With the AL radiator i came to realize my car will never overheat short of my "3600CFM" 16" dying.
                            Turning out to be a great thread.

I didn't think about that mounting location for the t-stat, pretty good call :up:

Weird thing is that I saw temps hitting 260 @ the track...ambient temps were around 95-100 with like 90% humidity. Then again, my oil cooler is not as large. It's a 25 row Earl's oil cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
                              i have the same T-stat as the OP, a 180*F one, the oil cooler is about 12inches wide by 7high and 2.25 wide. I bolted it under the hood hinge tube so it hangs right behind the kidneys and looks like sex.
                              Pictures of setup. Did you use a Mocal cooler?

Comment

mocal 180* tstat and a ~$40 ebay aluminum cooler that looks kinda like this:

these are before i added the tstat.. i lost those pictures when my hose site (acurainspired.com) died... but you get the idea of how i routed the lines. the stat is mounted to the valence after the headlight.

don't mind the colorid car and damage, this is a track car that's been through its fair share of incidents. all go, no show.
                                No more e30s for me.
                                88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                                88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                                91 BMW 325i [sold]
                                86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                                http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Working...
                                X