Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone rocking a remote oil cooler t-stat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone rocking a remote oil cooler t-stat?

I ordered a Mocal unit today to run with my IE adapter cap. Just curious to see if anyone else has done this and what the oil temps are like.

Taking the car to the track on Friday and want to make sure temps are in check. I will be switching to synthetic before track day as well. What kind of oil temps should I expect to see out on the track? 230-260?
    IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

For oil? Anything above 100C I'd keep an eye on and 120 is where a 50-weight oil will be severely in trouble. 100 is 212, 120 is 250.

Comment

Originally posted by nmlss2006 View Post
      For oil? Anything above 100C I'd keep an eye on and 120 is where a 50-weight oil will be severely in trouble. 100 is 212, 120 is 250.
      Really? Corrado folks run at like 260 (126C) on the track and its a non-issue with them...

So what kind of synthetic oil do you recommend?

*EDIT* sorry my gauge is in Fahrenheit.

Comment

Synthetic will be fine at 260, dino oil may not be.

Comment

I run ONLY redline synthetic. as far as temps I am so far beyond stock it is not a fair comparison so I will not comment
          Brian Jacobs

Comment

I've had M1 15w50 up to ~250f. no pressure problems, but it made me a little nervous.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
              Synthetic will be fine at 260, dino oil may not be.
              Thanks man, that puts me at ease. I mean, I don't expect to see temps that high but knowing that won't make me freak out on the track.

Originally posted by briansjacobs View Post
              I run ONLY redline synthetic. as far as temps I am so far beyond stock it is not a fair comparison so I will not comment
              Nah you should provide the info anyway man. Just for piece of mind!

Comment

I'm setting my M42 up with a standard M30 Oil filter housing and thermostat. Not running yet so no idea on oil temps.
                - Chris
                Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
                  Nah you should provide the info anyway man. Just for piece of mind!
                  after a 1 hour session in florida heat I am about 180F, with that said my car is a 2.8 stroker and I keep revs under 6300 RPM, I have a remote oil filter mounted on the fender well that holds 1Q, A 3.5Q accusump, a custom enlarged oil pan with baffles, and a giant oil cooler, with all the plumbing it comes to about 13Q of oil.

I am actually installing a preheater to get the car up to temp before I ever even start the car.

now you see why I said it was irrelevant?
                  Brian Jacobs

Comment

Originally posted by e30guydownunder View Post
                    I'm setting my M42 up with a standard M30 Oil filter housing and thermostat. Not running yet so no idea on oil temps.
                    Got any pics of how you're doing that?

I have an M42 project that needs a pretty decent oil cooler, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      I've had M1 15w50 up to ~250f. no pressure problems, but it made me a little nervous.
                      Hmm what kind of oil would you recommend for an M50? That temp was after or during track driving?

Originally posted by e30guydownunder View Post
                      Interesting, the m30 housing has a built in t-stat or is there something significantly better than the factory m42 filter housing?

Originally posted by briansjacobs View Post
                      after a 1 hour session in florida heat I am about 180F, with that said my car is a 2.8 stroker and I keep revs under 6300 RPM, I have a remote oil filter mounted on the fender well that holds 1Q, A 3.5Q accusump, a custom enlarged oil pan with baffles, and a giant oil cooler, with all the plumbing it comes to about 13Q of oil.

I am actually installing a preheater to get the car up to temp before I ever even start the car.

now you see why I said it was irrelevant?
                      Hehe, it was irrelevant but I was curious what kind of setup one would have for a dedicated track car.

Thats a ton of oil!!

Comment

not sure on what oil for an M50, but those temps are during track driving in the summer.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
                          Hehe, it was irrelevant but I was curious what kind of setup one would have for a dedicated track car.

Thats a ton of oil!!
                          at $10q for oil I feel it at every oil change, total overkill, but my mechanic is a bit of a mad scientist, I will try to post pics of his E28 race car and his rear wheel drive CRX.
                          Brian Jacobs

Comment

Not to clutter this thread too much. Check my build thred, about post #30.

Benefits of an M30 Oil Filter Housing:

1) It is a factory developed housing with take off ports for an oil cooler and has a thermostat (provided the car was optioned with the oil cooler, like any M20).

2) I got mine and the oil cooler for nothing (parts car)

3) Remote mounted making room for all sorts of things I'm modding on that side of the engine. Increased Oil Capacity yadda yadda.

It also has the all important check valve stopping all the oil from draining out of the inlet side of the head.

Back to your thread about oil temps :) feel free to ask any questions in my build thread.
                            - Chris
                            Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

Well - a 50 weight or '60' weight may be fine at 260F, though I'd have my eye on the gauge more than on the road, at that point. A 30 or a 40... I wouldn't, not with an engine I'm paying the bills for. Mobil 1 is good, the Castrol TWS is good but $$$.
                              Edit: sorry, I had assumed synthetic. Nonsynth oil makes no sense in 2010, on a car that will see the track doubly so.

Comment

Working...
                              X