Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using E36 Exhaust

Hey,

Has anyone used the E36 exhaust with the raceland (Superspring replica) long tube headers?

What's required?
    Do the hangers line up?
    Where do you shorten?

I have this picture, which I think is a 325i exhaust.

Sam
    Last edited by SamE30e; 08-06-2010, 01:12 PM.
    1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Which part of ontario are you from

Comment

Maybe the obd 1 exhausts are different, but long tube headers+obd II exhaust doesnot fit properly. In thecase of obd II, although it could be used, the e36 exhaust will require it to be lengthened before the cats and shortened just before the muffler. The flanges will have to be cut off and relocated to just before that first 45 degree bend

Comment

Hmmm, would it be easier to weld up a E30 325i exhaust?

And I'm from Mississauga.
        1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Here's how mine fit with OBD2 manifolds. I later switched to euro headers and just needed to cut another foot or so off the midpipes. Wasn't too difficult. OBD2 mids are better than OBD1.
          Attached Files

Comment

I used the OBDI cats into an E36 M3 Remus Cat Back.

Here are a couple of videos so you can hear how it sounds. The first is on the street the second is autocrossing.

http://vimeo.com/9594657

http://vimeo.com/9639079

Comment

Originally posted by e30pq View Post
              I used the OBDI cats into an E36 M3 Remus Cat Back.

Here are a couple of videos so you can hear how it sounds. The first is on the street the second is autocrossing.

http://vimeo.com/9594657

http://vimeo.com/9639079
              Heh, I've got the same exact setup :)

I think your coding plug is wrong though...noticed your idle is like 1.5k.
              IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
                Here's how mine fit with OBD2 manifolds. I later switched to euro headers and just needed to cut another foot or so off the midpipes. Wasn't too difficult. OBD2 mids are better than OBD1.
                Yeah, I don't like how that brace isn't able to fit though. I'm thinking an E30 i exhaust. But I don't know how much room I have to play with to connect it at the front pipes.
                1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Damn that looks like it was jammed up there high, lots of ground clearance, do you notice any loss in rigidity of the body without the middle cross brace?

-Cam
                  Cam .W '91 325is

Spaz's 1991 Alpine White???? S52 Build Thread...

Comment

Originally posted by Spaz View Post
                    Damn that looks like it was jammed up there high, lots of ground clearance, do you notice any loss in rigidity of the body without the middle cross brace?

-Cam
                    It is way up there. It's on my list to fit the brace in there, I haven't noticed a difference, but I have a front subframe x-brace, too.

Eventually I want a track pipe just to save weight. I'm guessing a 2 into 1 merge after the headers with a single 2 1/2 all the way back would save around 40lbs.

The OBD2 stuff is HEAVY!

Comment

Had a thought,

Could you move the entire center section further back past the cross brace and then fab up from the cats forward? The entrance to the cats would start right near the between the rear seat foot well and front frame rail.

Obviously the rear section would have to be changed and mated as well.

-Cam
                      Cam .W '91 325is

Comment

Originally posted by Spaz View Post
                        Had a thought,

Could you move the entire center section further back past the cross brace and then fab up from the cats forward? The entrance to the cats would start right near the between the rear seat foot well and front frame rail.

Obviously the rear section would have to be changed and mated as well.

-Cam
                        at that point the cats would not be getting all that hot and would become ineffective.
                        https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                          at that point the cats would not be getting all that hot and would become ineffective.
                          Yea, i saw this as a potential issue as well... oh well.
                          Cam .W '91 325is

Comment

Why is that? As far as I knew, OBD2 midpipes are dual walled and have a smaller inner diameter.

Comment

Originally posted by lifeiskaos View Post
                              Why is that? As far as I knew, OBD2 midpipes are dual walled and have a smaller inner diameter.
                              They are dual walled, but the inner diameter is the same or larger than the OBD1 version, and they don't have that nasty little merge going into the catalyst.

Whatever the size (bigger is not always better) they definitely flow better than OBD1 midpipes.

Comment

Working...
                              X